Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexzx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Wiring 220V Single Phase 30 AMP car lift motor
    Recently I perchased 9000 pounds 2 post car lift, and only after car lift has arrived I've found out that the requirements for the motor are 220VAC Single Phase 30 AMP 60 Hz. Can somebody please explain how to use this motor safely with the standard power outlet. Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 12:52 PM
    There is only one solutions for this, install a new 240 volt 1 Ph 30 Amp circuit and outlet, complete with a 2 pole 30 amp breaker, #10-2 cable, and a NEMA 6-30R straight blade outlet.

If there is any chance the straight blade will come unplugged, loose plug connections can cause heat and voltage drop, which will affect a motor's operation, can also use a NEMA L6-30R outlet with the matching Twist Lock Plug
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
    If in garage, use conduit, 2 #10's for hots and #10 green for ground. Use twist lock as above
    scot clark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzx
    Recently I perchased 9000 pounds 2 post car lift, and only after car lift has arrived I've found out that the requirements for the motor are 220VAC Single Phase 30 AMP 60 Hz. Can somebody please explain how to use this motor safely with the standard power outlet. Thank you.
    Let me know how you made out.
    I just got in a 10000 lb lift.
    sparky22997654 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 10:35 PM
    Hire a licensed electrician... like myself... before you burn your ****in garage down! Wiring is NOT a hobby. Leave it to a licensed professional.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Sparky, no one can argue with your advice, however, this thread is close to four years old, so you're a bit late.

Please refrain from answering questions older than a few months.

You seem to miss the point of this forum and website. People have questions about anything and everything under the sun. We are to here to help as best we can in whatever topic they have a question with.

Would be a pretty boring website if the advice was to hire a professional electrician, plumber, carpenter, auto mechanic, etc.

Thou wise, I am sure you realize people have done a and will continue to do their own work in almost any trade or profession possible.

Ever hear of Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace hardware, and I am sure others, that readily sell electrical materials and supplies to laypeople, that they will bring home or work and try to do their own electrical work?

At least here we can help those that ask for the help.

Simply telling someone, 4 years too late, to hire a pro is not very helpful.

They will still attempt to do the work, with or without the best answers we can give.

This thread is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for 220VAC - 30 Amp Motor [ 5 Answers ]

When doing the wiring in my new garage addition, I planned for a future two post cars lift. I failed to adequately check out the power requirement for said lift. I ran 3-#12 wire+ground wire from the sub-panel to the site about 30 ft away. Now I find that on all the lifts (so far) available, they...

Single phase motor [ 1 Answers ]

A washing machine is driven by a single phase fractional motor. What makes it run reverse foreword?

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

208v single phase wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a 208v single phase appliance to my home circuit panel? I installed a 30amp breaker which has 2 connections, red and black (hot), then I have white (neutral), and green for ground. The device only as 2 connectors not 3, plus ground? Thanks

120v/208v single phase appliance wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased a coffee machine that has the above reqts. I understand that it has 220 and 110v circuits that need power. I also purchased a generator to power this brewer outside. If I use a NEMA L14-30P plug, to connect into the generator, What is the sequence of wiring for the plug three...

View more questions Search