Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Wire sizing and conduit sizing
    I am looking for confirmation on some of the info I have found and answers to a few missing pieces. This is regarding wire size and conduit size for service conductors from the meter to the breaker panel (about 30 ft away).

Wire Size:
    125A service needs #2 copper or 1/0 aluminum -- #6 copper ground.
    150A service needs #1 copper or 2/0 aluminum -- #6 copper ground.
    200A service needs 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum -- #4 copper ground.

Is this correct? These would each be 3 wire services plus ground. Do all 3 wires have to be the same size or can the neutral be smaller? If so, how much smaller?

Conduit:
    How deep does PVC conduit for this run need to be (no driveways involved)?
    What diameter PVC conduit is needed for each of the services above?
    Specifically I am looking at either 125A or 150A service and would like to use a conduit big enough so that someday in the future I could run another set of wire back through this conduit that would provide photovoltaic current back to an REC meter (and back to the grid). Is 2.5 inch conduit adequate for what I want now and in the future?

THANK YOU!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Wire Size:

All correct.

These would each be 3 wire services plus ground.

Correct.

Do all 3 wires have to be the same size or can the neutral be smaller? If so, how much smaller?

The neutral can be 70 % of the line connected load amps rating.

Conduit:
    How deep does PVC conduit for this run need to be (no driveways involved)?

Minimum is 18" deep, a warning tape 6-12 in below grade is not required but a cheap insurance to digging up a feeder later.

What diameter PVC conduit is needed for each of the services above?

No nit picking here, use 2" for all sets, and always use wire lube.

Specifically I am looking at either 125A or 150A service and would like to use a conduit big enough so that someday in the future I could run another set of wire back through this conduit that would provide photovoltaic current back to an REC meter (and back to the grid). Is 2.5 inch conduit adequate for what I want now and in the future?

I would not suggest large cable be pulled in later alongside existing cable. If both sets of cable will be drawing power at the same time, derating is needed, so the next size wire may be needed for some sizes. Sorry but a fair amount of calcs are need each size each wire.

3" is needed for #4/0's.

Sorry but Jennifer Lopez is on Idol, so I got to see this.

I will check back later.

May 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
    [QUOTE=tkrussell]Wire Size:

All correct.

These would each be 3 wire services plus ground.

Correct.

Do all 3 wires have to be the same size or can the neutral be smaller? If so, how much smaller?

The neutral can be 70 % of the line connected load amps rating.

SO, For a 100A service, can I have my two hots be #4 copper and the neutral be #6 copper?

THANKS

May 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
    SO, For a 100A service, can I have my two hots be #4 copper and the neutral be #6 copper?

THANKS
    PTN
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Only if doing the load calculations to arrive at the maximum unbalanced current and the load is no less than 65 amps for a #6 THHN/THWN wire.

Most likely it will be less, I have no idea of the loads, and I just didn't want to say yes without explaining why.
    abcsalem Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    [I]Wire Size:
    No nit picking here, use 2" for all sets, and always use wire lube.
    Tk, do we need to use wire lube, if one is to use metal conduit?
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 04:20 PM
    The quality of wire lube nowadays, it is worth the cost and effort. The biggest risk to pulling wire is the friction,esp for long runs.
    Lola71078 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
    What size grey conduit do I need to run two 4/0 alluminum wire through?
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 03:40 AM
    Minimum size of Schedule 40 PVC conduit would be 1-1/2", assuming XHHW insulation on the 2- #4/0 Al.

Depending on length, it may be wise to upsize the conduit.

May I ask why only two conductors?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earth wire cable sizing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , Im mike, 29 years old, I live in Mauritius. I would like to know how to size my eathing wire since my supply wire is 6 mm2. Thanks

Proper wire sizing? [ 3 Answers ]

We are re-routing the supply line to our pump house, where there is an extension panel with 30A 220V (pump controller) and 15A & 20A 110V breakers. It's about a 60' run from the 200A main service in the house, being placed in conduit 2' underground. The wire in place is newer 10 gauge solid copper....

Wire sizing for sub panel. [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for the response on my sub panel questions. I finally found a slim line breaker which will work in my main panel. I can now consolidate two breakers to give me room for a 100 ap breaker. This breaker will feed the sub panel in my workshop. I plan on placing a 100 amp sub panel in the...

Electrical sizing help [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently building a new building. We as the owners have decided to install a diesel back-up generator unit with auto transfer. The building uses well water and therefore requires a water storage tank for the fire suppression sprinkler system. It also will be using a 100 hp 480 volt 3 phase...

Conduit sizing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all! I am relocating my breaker box approx 30 feet from its original location. Installing splice box in the old location for connections. My question is : I have 14 12-2 and 3 12-3 to pull from new box to splice box what size conduit do I need so not to worry about heat build up or de-rating...

View more questions Search