Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erinw71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Cashing in 401k
    I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info would be deeply appreciated
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2005, 04:44 AM
    There are 2 things:
    1. The 10% penalty for early withdrawal, and
    2. The taxes on it.

Whether these amounts will be taken out by the company managing it is up to them. Some do and some don't. Ask your 401k contact whether they do or not.
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Sep 1, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Think, don't leap
    Are you vested? If not, consider tightening the belt a little, curtail wants and focus strictly on that which is needed, true essentials. This will condition your spending habits, so that the cycle of uncontrollable debt will not be your portion. If you cash in on your 401K, will that completely eradicate your current debt, if not, you are merely stabbing yourself in the foot. If you will take the time to be honest with yourself, know your spending trends, generally, a minor adjustment is all that is needed to get control of things. First, you must know your spending habit, thus it requires you to think about your values, consider what can be sacrificed, that luxury that you can live without, this is about survival, not keeping up appearances. They say, pay now, or pay later. Pay now, whenever possible, pay later only when it is truly a vital need. Most times our income is sufficient to meet our needs, it is the allocation of such funds that get us into trouble. Consider this first before touching the money that works for you.
    leatherseats Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 05:16 AM
    Hold the fort Amos (this is an old saying that means SLOW DOWN!)

There are several questions that need answering before you make your decision.
    What is the amount of debt?
    What is the total of your 401K?
    What are the borrowing privileges of your 401k?
    Are you presently employed?
    What is your present income?
    What is your ability to repay a loan to your 401k?

Sometimes it makes more sense to borrow for the retirement account than cashing it out. If all else fails, seek counsel from a professional financial planner who may have alternative solutions to cashing out and paying the penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Cashing out a 401k with a loan [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a loan I am paying back to my 401k and am thinking about cashing out, but I'm not sure if this is possible or not. This might not be a good idea because I'm guessing the loan would be considered part of that cash out, which means I'd be paying taxes on money I won't even be seeing...

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

Cashing out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old with a 401k sitting in a previous employers plan (about $70k) and thinking about cashing out to eliminate the debt that I have ($30K from consolidation). I don't see any other way to get out from under it. I know the consequences of doing it; penalty, taxes, lost future income....

Cashing in 401k penalty [ 0 Answers ]

In 2002 I cashed in a 401k and received about 14,000. I knew about the taxes but didn't know for sure I would receive a penalty because everything I read said I "may" and I figured they would let me know... anyway, I owed the IRS 1,800 and they put me on a pmt plan of $25 to federal IRS every month...

View more questions Search