Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jng90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Craftsman transmission or belt?
    I have a 2004 Craftsman hydrostatic DGT 6000 with 32 hours on it. All the maintenance has been done to date for reference. For some reason after about 15 minutes of use the tractor won't move if you stop. Even if you push the hydro control all the way forward to top speed it won't move. In fact you get no reaction from the tractor unless you push the lever all the way forward and hold it there you actually can hear what sounds like a grinding noise. Is this a transmission problem or could it maybe be the motion drive belt needs replacing or something else? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Hi, jng90!

I would like to give you an answer to your question. But, unfortunately, I can't. There may be someone on this site who can. But, we seem to get a lot of questions concerning lawn and garden equipment that go unanswered.

I care about your question being answered. So, I do know a site where topics about lawns, gardens and lawn maintenance machine issues are the specialty. You might like to give it a try. Here is the link.

Lawn & Garden Tractors Forum - GardenWeb
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
    I would look to the fluid level, and make sure the pulley on top the transaxle is spinning at all times.

Don

May 8, 2007, 04:19 AM
    The pulley on top is definitely spinning at all times. Seems to be operating perfectly. Unfortunately the transaxle is a sealed unit that, according to the manual, requires no maintenance. The only real way to even get into the transaxle without taking it apart is maybe to stick something like a dip stick down the vent tube. There are no instructions though within the manual that show how to change the fluid. Any suggestions?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 8, 2007, 06:36 AM
    There is a freewheel setting to allow it to be pushed. Have you checked this? And is the pulley turning the shaft.

Don

May 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Yes. Free wheel is in the position it should be in. Even purged the transmission twice like the manual suggests. Everything appears to be moving fine. I actually was able to get in touch with a Hydro Gear (the transaxle manufacturer) service tech who recommended I drain the fluid and replace it with a synthetic. Apparently the oil they put in at the factory has caused head aches for many owners like myself. Unfortunately this requires removing the entire transaxle because it's a sealed "maintenance free" unit but it's much better than spending the $800 Sears wants for a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Belt Do I Need? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ford yt16h tractor and need the secondary drive belt but can't find what size it is. Can anyone help me? Hanks, tom

Deck belt for craftsman 15.5 riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8yr old craftsman riding mower with a 42in deck I went to get a belt and I got the right one but I can not get it to go on do I need to remove any of the pullys or are there any tricks that I need to know or should it just go right on it is about 3inches to small. And I did disengage the...

Changing Belt [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a used Craftman garden tractor it came without the owner manual. I need to change the primary mower belt but I can't find the pulley I need to loose so I can install the belt. Can you tell me how I where to look? The tractor model no. is #917-270670, 16HPOHC with 42" cut. Thanks,...

Timing belt [ 1 Answers ]

I think it may be my timing belt. I have a 92 honda accord ex. The other day I was driving home and my yellow light came on, I looked it up in my manual and it said it was an emission light. But the car continued to run OK. So I drove it home, about 20 miles and it ran fine. The other day I...

View more questions Search