Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Razzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Maple Chase Thermostat
    We just purchased our home and have lived here all of 5 days. I woke up today freezing so I went to check the heat, It was set to go on if the thermostat read 68 or less. Well needless to say it did not go on. We are cold. The Maple Chase company is closed. The website does not even show our thermostat on it as they have changed to a Robert Shaw brand name but we need help with the Maple Chase thermostat.
    We changed the batteries and followed the directions inside the cover. Each time we put in a new set of 2 double a batteries it would say Battery Low on the display until we finally went to the store and bought brand new batteries, put them in and sure enough it doesn't go on, no display shows up, and there is no reset anywhere to be found. The fuse is not blown and the fan works when in the on position but only blows cold air.
    Can someone please help me figure out how to get heat in this house?
    We checked the main fuse box also and everything is fine
    The thermostat will just not turn on at all and no display is showing and with no reset switch it makes it hard to not get annoyed at this situation
    The item number of the Maple Chase thermostat is 0960T-1
    Thank you for any help you can give
    Razzle
    :confused:
    Razzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzle
    We just purchased our home and have lived here all of 5 days. I woke up today freezing so I went to check the heat, It was set to go on if the thermostat read 68 or less. Well needless to say it did not go on. We are cold. The Maple Chase company is closed. The website does not even show our thermostat on it as they have changed to a Robert Shaw brand name but we need help with the Maple Chase thermostat.
    We changed the batteries and followed the directions inside the cover. Each time we put in a new set of 2 double a batteries it would say Battery Low on the display until we finally went to the store and bought brand new batteries, put them in and sure enough it doesn't go on, no display shows up, and there is no reset anywhere to be found. The fuse is not blown and the fan works when in the on position but only blows cold air.
    The thermostat will just not turn on at all and no display is showing and with no reset switch it makes it hard to not get annoyed at this situation
    Razzle
    The display finally showed up about 3 hours later but now we have no heat still.
    The fan works so it is not the fuse but we checked the fuse to be sure
    Is there anyone out there who can offer any advice on as to why we have no heat?
    This is day 2 waking up to 65 degrees and I had the thermostat set at 70 once again and nothing happened.
    Please someone help because we just can't afford to have a heating/air guy come out here. I have called and no one does free estimates the all want $70.00 an hour or more just to come look at this.
    Thank you
    Razzle
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
    If this is a programmable thermostat, do you have a program in both the heat & cool positions? You should also be abe to push the PROG/MAN button to set it manually without any program. Most Maple Chase thermostats have a reset button that's usually located just above the wiring terminal block. Pushing the reset button will set it back to the factory pre-programmed conditions.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Is it possible that the issuse is with the furnace? What is the model of the furnace? Maybe I can give you a few tips on what to look for.
    caghylin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Razzle
    I have to say I feel your frustration. I own the very same thermostat, and have the same problems. It has a mind of it's own, turning on mostly when it feels like it. I believe there is a delay. I use the manual program only. As for the batteries, I moved them around until the low battery message went away. Just know it's not you, I just futz around till it comes on. I have problems going from off to heat, heat to cool, etc... once it comes on, it works great. If you just moved to your house, do you have a home warranty? I have often thought about ripping this thermastat off the wall, but don't because it works sooner or later (I have had it not come on when it was cold too), and has a knack for being on it's best behavior when I'm complaining to the AC guy. All else fails, buy a new thermastat, they're pretty reasonably priced. For what I'ts worth, I've also kept this thermastat because I like the simple design. I do believe it is now Robert Shaw as you mentioned. Good luck!

Carol

P.S. I came across your post looking for the owners manual to this thing. If you decide to get rid of your thermastat, I would be willing to buy your owner's manual if you have it. I am at [email protected]
    bbgrlprpl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Hi I actually have a maple chase but just not he same model but am experiancing the same issue but reversed I can get he heat going but not the cooling and I live here in phoenix az and it is burnig up.I am a renter but my landlord will not come fix I tried reading the back but nothing helps if you or amyone else has tips can you help me as well? Please

May 26, 2007, 04:29 PM
    If you are renting and paying $$, your landlord must fix the problem with the thermastat. Tell him/her you are contacting a HVAC company, and taking the bill for repairs off the next months rent, that ought to get someone's attention. There is no excuse for the landlords behavior, this is not your problem, it is his/hers. Take a firm stand, as a tenant, you are entitled to the standard of living you are paying for. Good luck.

Carol

May 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Razzle
    The owners manual you want is Robert Shaw model #9600. You can download this PDF file to your computer. It is the equivalent of the Maple Chase 0960T-1. I have researched this and know it to be the case.

Carol
    jobobmac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Razzle
    The reset button is under the cover of the thermostat, toward the bottom left side... it is a small/tiny round black button... push it.. the screen goes blank. Replace the cover and start over. I had that problem last year and it worked after I reset it. This year I just can't get it to work no matter what I do.
    BurninupNcali Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 02:58 PM

This site is awesome! Hi everyone, my name is Kristine, and I'm the owner of a maple/chase also. I'm having issues as well... you have all given me hope. I'm going to go try some of the helpful suggestions... If all else fails I have the serenity prayer... 12 step program for a thermostat support group... :)
    Thanks again all and good luck with yours!
    doremeha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 10:50 AM
    WOW I had identical problem and called a repair person and paid $60 2 years in a row only to find that by reading this - I had been charged by those guys for them to push a tiny little reset black button at the left of the thermo -AND NONE of them told me it was THAT simple!! Thanks to you all above - this is 2010 and your post just saved me another $60.00
    doremeha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Comment on jobobmac's post
    Thank you for saving me $60 AGAIN
    churchmaint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 02:39 AM
    July 27, 2012 - same problem. Low battery, replaced battery - thermostat went crazy, then the display went blank. Googled the problem, came across this information and pushed the reset button (which indeed does not look like a button) and like magic - we're back in business.

No thermostatic control of AC in SW Florida in July is "not cool."

Thanks for the help!
    Kristina lynch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
    I have a 9400 model. I don't c a reset but I c a switch gas or electric are my options. It was on gas so switched to electricbut got colder?? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by doremeha View Post
    WOW I had identical problem and called a repair person and paid $60 2 years in a row only to find that by reading this - I had been charged by those guys for them to push a tiny little reset black button at the left of the thermo -AND NONE of them told me it was THAT simple! Thanks to you all above - this is 2010 and your post just saved me another $60.00
    Kristina lynch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doremeha View Post
    Thank you for saving me $60 AGAIN
    I found reset but still not staying On!
    Barb wohlenhaus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
    Help! We have a Robertshaw thermostat. It is set on manual and I cannot get the temperature setting to change. Finally I turned it offand have waited for over thirty minutes. Turned it on and tried to get it to change but no luck!
    marciaclark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 11:18 PM
    Didn't realize there were instructions under the cover. Followed them exactly in the order given and was able to set everything. Also replaced the batteries. (none of it works without good batteries). The only thing I discovered was I had to kind of wiggle the up or down arrow buttons sort of back and forth to get a good connection. After having done that a couple of times the arrow buttons began to work well by just pushing on them. Good luck everyone. Hope you have as much success as I did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maple/ chase thermostat [ 23 Answers ]

I let the batteries run low on my thermostat. I just replaced them but the display still reads "lo bat" and the heat does not kick on. I checked the fuse and it is still intact. Please help!!

Low Battery message on Maple/Chase Thermostat [ 8 Answers ]

I had a "low battery" message flashing on my Maple/Chase 0960T-1 programmable thermostat. When I replaced the batteries the low battery message remained on the display but this time, it was not flashing back and forth and none of the previous settings appeared on the display. None of the switches...

Maple Chase Thermostat Question [ 13 Answers ]

This thermostat is at least 10-11 years old I believe. At one point it had a temperature differential of either 2 or 3 degrees. Somewhere along the line it started working with a one degree differential. I have no manual for this and the instructions in the lid don’t say how to change it. Anyone...

Maple Chase thermostat - after electricity went off heat won't kick on [ 3 Answers ]

Have a Maple Chase thermostat -- undetermined age (probably 10 years or so). After electricity went out (and then back on) the heat did not kick back on. Checked batteries and fuse. All seem OK. When I set the fan to On it will just blow out cold air. (Have gas heat). Is there a reset button?...

Maple Chase Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

Recently my heater turns on irreguarly - one day it will work, another day it may quit. The Heater is Bryant Model 580A packaged gas/electric unit. I have a Maple Chase thermostat in the house. It is about 16 years old. I have someone replaced a new ignition module about two months ago. What may be...

View more questions Search