Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vpc2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Crown lengthening
    I was told be a periodontist that I needed crown lengthening to save my molar.

This is a $1400 procedure.

Has anyone ever had this done? Also do you still need to get a root canal once the crown lengthening is performed or do you just go back for the crown?

Because $1400 is a lot of money and I don't want to pay extra for a root canal on top of this procedure, then another $800-$1000 for a crown.

Second part:

I was told by this periodontist that this procedure is a 50/50 and that they may not be able to save the tooth but no sure way to tell unless they start cutting away at the tooth, but in fact may need to be extracted. I asked him if it has to be extracted is it going to still cost $1400 and he said yes. The reason was even if he starts a procedure and can't finish it and has to extract it, he still started the crown lengthening and therfore I will still be charged the $1400 procedure fee.

This kind of seems unfair, why shouldn't I just pay $300 to have it extracted, when he;s not even sure if he can start and finish the crown lengthening?

Third:

Would it be more econoical to have the crwon lengthening done, then place a crown on it after VS. tooth extraction, then an implant...

Any answer would help.
    hps Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Get that big boy out of there!!
    Kimberly0205 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Hi,

My name is Kimberly and I have question I have to get crown lengthenin which I am so scared so far I have had 2 deep cleanings, 2 rct, 1 bridge and Zoom and now this. What is the recovery time after the crown lengthenin

Sincerely Kimberly:(
    claremontca Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 09:47 AM

I want to take the time to write about crown lengthening. I had this procedure performed yesterday. It was done at a general dentists office. I will tell you it was painless both during and after. My dentist is no one special and the procedure was quick and uncomplicated. Do not let these internet horror stories scare you. I have a lot of anxiety about the dentist, as does about 80% of the general population. This procedure is not worth the time or anguish that many of you are feeling. It's easy and simple.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crown Lengthening [ 4 Answers ]

I have had crowns on my two front teeth for all of my adult life due to falling and breaking them. Recently one crown and tooth broke off at the gum line. Over the years (I am 56) my teeth had shifted and I had a small gap between my 2 front teeth that I hated. My dentist suggested making 4...

Crown Lengthening [ 2 Answers ]

I'm under a new dental plan that does not cover crown lengthening. I've had a couple of crowns replaced and a couple of new ones by a new dentist under the new plan. For each I was charged a $750 fee for "Crown lengthening". I'd never heard of it before and I'm not sure I got a good explanation...

Is Crown Lengthening Necessary? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tooth that is stable on three sides with a deep cavity. The tooth just had a substantial root canal and it is time for a crown. I have been told by the dentist and the periodontist in the same practice that a crown lengthening is necessary. This is a molar and has plenty of usable tooth...

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown Lengthening 2 [ 4 Answers ]

I recently went to a periodontist for a consultation for crown lengthening, and was told that aside from cutting gum away, he will have to take some bone as well. What is the recovery prognosis for something like this? Is there a chance that I will have chronic pain / sensitivity on the 2 teeth...

View more questions Search