Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
    401k early withdraw penalties
    I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?
    2pets Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by plumdog
    I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?
    Hi,
    I too am considering closing out my 401K. On my Merrill Lynch web site it says there is a 28 percent tax liablity and 10 percent early withdrawal penalty, which makes it a whopping 38 percent! If you have a web site for your carrier I would check it or call your carrier.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Actually, the 38% tax liability sounds about right. It IS a hefty price to pay to get the 401K money.

PlumDog:

Consider a SBA loan. The interest you pay is much better than the tax bite you will pay for the 401K money. Heck, I would make the argument that launching your business using credit cards is a beter option than using 401K money, because the interest is tax deductible.
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
    The answer depends on your state + federal tax bracket. Plus % penalty. Yes, you have to pay taxes on it, but you didn't in the first place. Also, when you are old and decrepid, you will be in a lower tax bracket, and that is THE MAIN tax savings.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Good answer.
    greencar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Is the 401K early withdrawal treated as ordinary income? Separately, at what income level does a student have to pay taxes?

To give you complete context, I am thinking about returning to school next year (and thus will not have an income), and want to use some of the money I have saved in my 401k to pay some of the tuition costs, but hope to recoup some of the tax on the 401k through mortgage interest deductions and education credits.

Am I trying to be too cute here?
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 6, 2007, 08:51 PM
    When my husband Completely withdrew from his 401K they sent us a 1099 for it at the end of the year. In other words yes we had to count it as income.
    greencar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greencar
    Is the 401K early withdrawal treated as ordinary income? Separately, at what income level does a student have to pay taxes?

To give you complete context, I am thinking about returning to school next year (and thus will not have an income), and want to use some of the money I have saved in my 401k to pay some of the tuition costs, but hope to recoup some of the tax on the 401k through mortgage interest deductions and education credits.

Am I trying to be too cute here?
    One more thing... is there a limit to the amount that I can withdrawal from my Roth IRA for tuition without incurring the 10% early withdrawal penalty?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
    You CAN withdraw IRA funds for higher education costs without paying the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.
    shammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 12:15 PM
    If I close my 401k and then put say 25% into a CESA(college education savings account) for my son, then even if I am taxed on it, I still get a tax break for the contribution?
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I believe that CESA's grow tax free; you get no immediate tax write-off, though your state MAY offer a tax deduction.
    RealEstateDude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Actually, the 38% tax liability sounds about right. It IS a hefty price to pay to get the 401K money.

PlumDog:

Consider a SBA loan. The interest you pay is much better than the tax bite you will pay for the 401K money. Heck, I would make the argument that launching your business using credit cards is a beter option than using 401K money, because the interest is tax deductible.
    Good Idea, since they are probably going to want collateral for the loan you could offer your 401k.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Negative on offering the 401K as collateral. That is strictly forbidden.
    dhinson777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 06:55 AM
    How much will I be taxed if I withdraw my 401k early
    empower Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
    I like to speak to someone over the phone to discuss withdraw from my 401k plan
    empower Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
    I like to speak to someone over the phone to discuss withdraw from my 401k plan
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Email me at [email protected], and I will email a phone number to call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Early withdraw hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take 17k for a hardship withdraw on my 401k. Will I have to pay federal taxes on this?

Withdrawing my 401k--how do I go about paing penalties? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of pulling my 401k. I need the money to pay off medical bills from before I had medical insurance. I have to pay 10% penalty plus Federal and state taxes which add up to like 42%.. Anyway, I have no choice at this time... My question is: what is the best way to go...

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

Procedure to withdraw 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US. I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year. What is the procedure to withdraw the money ? There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the...

401K Early Withdrawal Penalties? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about early withdrawal of my 401k due to changing employers. I am fully vested at my current company. I took a loan out from my 401k probably 6-8 months ago for personal reasons (not mortgage, etc.). Here are the details for that: I took out a loan of $2,868.01 and...

View more questions Search