Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trujew Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Ringworm won't go away
    Help! Help!Help!

I contracted ringworm from my new kitten and I went to the doctor who put me on one cream, which really did nothing. Then another cream, which seemed like it was curing it but then suddenly stopped working!! My ringworm is virtually coming back with a vengeance!! I have tried vinegar (which I read helps) but that seemed to aggravate it more making it red, raw and bumpier. I heard bleach might work but hesitant to try that for obvious reasons. But what are peoples thoughts? I have several small ones but two really nasty ones on my forearm and they look really DISGUSTING!!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you.

:eek:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Tru, you need to go back to your doctor or find another doctor. Evidently, the cream isn't strong enough to get rid of the fungus that is causing this. There are pills and liquid medication that are also used to treat ringworm. Not knowing the strain that is causing this, it is hard to say what will work. Your doctor needs to run another test and/or give you another medication than the ones you have used.

Vinegar and bleach are ineffective methods. Please don't try using bleach. It will probably burn, since the area is already irritated and red.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

May 3, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Hi Trujew,
    Applying vitamin E to it a couple times of day for a period should eradicate it. Other things that should prove very effective include tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract (GSE), and perhaps marigold oil (diluted in olive oil) or aloe vera. Good luck. Take care. :)
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

May 3, 2007, 08:15 AM
    You need something in a pill form plus a cream! Go back to the doctor and ask him for both. My son and dad has had problems with ringworm in the past and both of them needed the pill and cream. It was the only thing that worked.

My dad noticed that his faces was itching bad under his beard, so he shaved and TA DA... his whole face was covered with ringworm under the beard! YUCK! He got treatment, but it took time. He had to walk around with big yucky ring worms covering his face for a while! He was very embarrassed! So if you got a beard... Don't shave! Lol

Good Luck and God Loves You!

May 3, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Oh yeah... my dad tried the bleach thing... Don't do it!

May 3, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    Hi Trujew,
    Applying vitamin E to it a couple times of day for a period of time should eradicate it. Other things that should prove very effective include tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract (GSE), and perhaps marigold oil (diluted in olive oil) or aloe vera. Good luck. Take care. :)

Ringworm is a fungus not a burn or skin irritation. I don't think this stuff will work to treat ringworm, but may help with the irritation or discomfort.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

May 3, 2007, 08:21 AM
    All things I listed have strong antifungal properties and are proven effective against ringworm. I have personally found vitamin E to be very effective for such.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Have you had your kitten treated so that it's not being spread around that way?

If nothing is working and it's continuing to spread,
    You'll need the pill and the cream like suggested above - it will be the most quick and easiest way to rid the problem since it seems to be out of control with normal treatments.

May 3, 2007, 08:45 AM
    My doc also gave me a prescription for prednisone but I am hesitant to take it. He only prescribed it because he personally wasn't sure what I had. My vet confirmed that it was in fact ringworm. What about using nail polish? Any thoughts on this?

Or should I just go to a dermatologist.

May 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    Have you had your kitten treated so that it's not being spread around that way?

If nothing is working and it's continuing to spread,
    you'll need the pill and the cream like suggested above - it will be the quickest and easiest way to rid the problem since it seems to be out of control with normal treatments.
    The cat is being treated.

May 3, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    tru, you need to go back to your doctor or find another doctor. Evidently, the cream isn't strong enough to get rid of the fungus that is causing this. There are pills and liquid medication that are also used to treat ringworm. Not knowing the strain that is causing this, it is hard to say what will work. Your doctor needs to run another test and/or give you another medication than the ones you have used.

Vinegar and bleach are ineffective methods. Please don't try using bleach. It will probably burn, since the area is already irritated and red.
    What about prednisone. I am hesitant about taking that. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want to gain weight either. Even though the medication would only be for a 7 day period.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 09:23 AM
    The doctor gave you the prednisone for a reason. Yes, fill the prescription. It is only for 7 days. You only have to worry about weight gain when it is for an extended period. I hate steroids but sometimes, you have to bite the bullet. 7 days should not create any problems for you at all.

I wouldn't use nailpolish until this clears up. I didn't realize it was in the nail. That is the hardest one of all the ringworm infection sites to clear up. You need to use both the prednisone and the creams. It takes at least a week to kill the fungus. It will take a while for the infected site to start clearing up, but the fungus should be killed if you take the combination of drug and cream.

Although I don't disagree with Thomas about a natural remedy, and personally I prefer them, the problem is the time it takes to clear it up. If you aren't prepared to be patient, you need to use the drugs prescribed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Nail polish will not work for ringworm as ringworm is a fungus. Nail polish works for chiggers.

Now, understand that no matter what you use, whether it be the prescription your doctor gave you or the natural remedies Thomas spoke of, it takes a good amount of time to get rid of the fungus completely. Many times ringworm, with treatment, can take up to a month or more to be completely eradicated from the system.

You can go to the pharmacy and buy Lotrimin AF (Anti-Fungal) and that will work also. Just remember to clean the skin, rub in the lotion, and cover the skin with a band-aid.

You should also know that ringworm is highly contagious. So check your other family members to see if they may have it.
    rosaramirez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trujew
    Help! Help!Help!

I contracted ringworm from my new kitten and I went to the doctor who put me on one cream, which really did nothing. Then another cream, which seemed like it was curing it but then suddenly stopped working!!!! My ringworm is virtually coming back with avengence!!!! I have tried vinegar (which I read helps) but that seemed to aggravate it more making it red, raw and bumpier. I heard bleach might work but hesitant to try that for obvious reasons. But what are peoples thoughts? I have several small ones but two really nasty ones on my forearm and they look really DISGUSTING!!!!!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you.

:eek:
    Combine 1 small tube of Tolnaftate Cream (used for Athlete's foot) and 1 tube
    Of hydrocortisone. Apply on ringworm. My son had ringworm and it went away
    Using these ingredients.

Can also be used for diaper rash.

May 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Nail polish won't work.

You need to make sure that you are consistent about applying the cream. Make sure everything you touch to that area is cleaned! It can spread! Keep your bath towel and bed sheets clean. That can help prevent spread while you try to heal what you already have.
    natureday Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Hi, I currently have tried Vitamin E and it does not make it go away, but it really helps with the itching... so that is good.
    [email protected]
    Blogg Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Mostly any antifungal cream won't affect more if they are used not regularly
    (use depend by when you remember :D). The fungi will resist more if you use like this.
    Do more sport or any exercise to raise your immune along with taking medicine from doctor.
    Do not forget to cut off your fingernail, maybe you scratch at the infected area and do the same to other parts of your body (yes, it will infecting that new scratched place)
    Always change your dress that made a contact with your body (more if you sweat often, just until you free from this problem :D)
    At the early stage of infection, Alcohol 70% that used for antiseptics can help you much
    For other suggestion, I agree with the previous answer...
    Good luck buddy
    dorisaquino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Oh my god! All home remedies do not work! I have tried all of them only to find my ringworm getting bigger and worse. I'll have to break down and go to doctor for both oral and cream because no home remedy works. I have it on my abs and back. It's awful! I have tried nail polish, anti fungal creams, oils mentioned above, minced garlic, etc. Nothing worked!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 09:01 PM

Have you tried tea tree oil?
    cleanasawhistle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
    The only thing that works is bleach. Believe me, I have a lot of experience with ringworm, and the only thing that works is bleach baths. Bleach won't kill you, I don't know what people think they are swimming in when they swim in pools, but a pool has TONS and TONS bleach! So put a cup and a half of bleach in a full bathtub, and soak in it every night, I add tons of epston salt in there to. Remember to exfoliate the ringworm tissue with salt and a diluted bleach-rag because the fungus lives off the dead cells. If you break a sweat, work out, or go for a really long walk, make sure to take your bleach bath after that. You have to keep up with it every day, every time I stop my bleach baths, my ringworm will come back. Oh, and don't emerge your hair in bleach water every night obviously your hair will get lighter. Another thing I do is go tanning weekly, you might think that would make it worse, but I go in the tanner right after a bleach bath, when my skin is nice and dry, then I tan for ten minutes, nothing major, but just to dry the skin out a bit more. I do have a slight tan, but I don't mind that. I hope this helps you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural Healing Method for Ringworm [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter just started Day Care and has contracted a patch of ringworm on her cheek, with some fine bumps around the area. It has been confirmed by her doctor that it is ringworm. She recommended Lotrimin Cream 3x a day. However every thing I have researched about Lotrimin is...

Treatment for Ringworm [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter just started Day Care and has contracted a patch of ringworm on her cheek, with some fine bumps around the area. It has been confirmed by her doctor that it is ringworm. She recommended Lotrimin Cream 3x a day. However every thing I have researched about Lotrimin is...

Possible ringworm in guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what over the counter medication can be used for a guinea pig with possible ringworm? Thanks

View more questions Search