Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgmanuel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Chihuahua giving birth
    [F]my chihuahua dog just gave birth to 5 puppies (2 were born dead) the last puppy that was born was alive but we couldnt get the placenta out of the mom.... what should i do????:confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Lg, why, oh, why did you not do your homework? Why didn't you do the proper research and prepare yourself for any and all problems ahead of time? How can you be so irresponsible? Now you have two dead puppies and a Momma dog who may wind up getting an infection and dying because you haven't learned how to help her properly. Where is your sense of responsibility here? How could you do this to your poor defenseless dog?

You need to call your vet so he/she can examine her and fix the problem or walk you through the procedure step by step over the phone. Most vets have someone on call during off hours. In the future, if the Momma survives and the remaining pups survive, after they have been weened, you should spay her. Do not breed her again. It is apparent this is more than you can handle. It is your responsibility to keep your dog safe, healthy and happy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
    I am happy Ruby found time to give so many good answers while we were having a ball at a convention with my 8 month old Lab and our friends' 2 month old Golden.

Too bad more of those claiming to love dogs are missing in action when questions like this come up.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
    The placenta may come out on it's own given a little bit however it must come out. If it doesn't, the dog needs to be seen by the vet. It will kill the dog if it doesn't come out. Basically, it sounds like the vet will have to remove the remainder of the placenta.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat (soon to be giving birth) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my pregnant cat . Well I don't exactly know when the time of her getting pregnant was, but I think she is getting really close to giving birth to her kittens. First of all I would like to know if taking their temperature is an accurate way of telling whe nthey...

Giving Birth [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any free videos to watch on internet of a woman giving birth? Want to know...

Waiting for 2nd period after giving birth 11 weeks ago - can it just be irregular? [ 2 Answers ]

I gave birth 11 weeks ago and got my period after 6 weeks. According to the calendar I was due on Sunday (2nd period) and I have no sign of my period coming. As of today I'm 3 days late. My question is: can I have my period and then not have it for a couple of months? I am breast feeding but only...

Chihuahua Not Eating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old chihuahua who seems to occasionally suffer from upset stomaches. Every now and again, he'll eat grass outside, then come in and just lay around on the floor somewhere (rather than play with a toy or curl up on a couch and sleep). When this happens, it'll take a few hours but...

My chihuahua [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that can maybe some how help me My chihuahua front paw looks as if its fractured Is there anything I can do to fix it until I can get him to the vet and Does anyone know how much it will cost?? please help me at this sad time

View more questions Search