Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theb6sh0w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2004, 04:33 PM
    Chihuahua not eating
    Got a chihuahua pup... 7 weeks... it won't eat its food we bought for her... we are trying to feed her eukanuba dog food... she will eat if we drop one kibble on the floor at a time... she will stop eating after the 10th kibble... however, she will eat chicken...

She already went to the vet and everything I fine... how do we get her to eat the puppy food... and out of the bowl...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2004, 05:43 PM
    Will power. You should be feeding her 3 times a day and likely 1/4 cup or less each time. At each meal time, put out the 1/4 cup. After 15 minutes, take whatever isn't eaten away and do not give her anything until the next meal. If she doesn't eat much for a day or 2, don't worry. It will not be easy for you, but it won't hurt her. Many puppies come from the breeder too fat. If she doesn't have a waist, now is the time to start developing one. For a good guide to maintaining a healthy, lean dog, see http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. Kept lean, a Chi could live 20 years.

Also:

Much of housebreaking is not training the puppy, but making it easier for your
    Puppy, you, and your carpet while its body to catches up to its instincts. At
    Around 8 weeks when the puppy goes to its new home, the time from when it
    Realizes it has to go, and when it can't wait any longer is a matter of
    Seconds. Only time will fix that. You can hardly be expected to be attentive
    Enough to avoid all accidents There is no sense punishing the puppy for your
    Inattention. It is not fair to punish you either, but you still have to clean
    It up if you didn't have the puppy outside in time.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    A crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    Already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    Something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start in crates as
    Little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    In the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    The dog have its crate all its life.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it
    Needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating,
    Drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around
    Sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just
    Have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    They go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    To going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    Your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    Even gets near the door. A stern "Bad dog!" is all the punishment that is
    Effective, and only when you catch it in the act and are sure you didn't miss
    It going to the door. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little
    Puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam
    Sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving
    It and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Many people strongly strongly push cleaning up all evidence of past accidents. I am slower to suggest that. Dogs will return top the same spot if they can find it. When you see one sniffing the spot, that is your clue to run it out.
    theb6sh0w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2004, 09:48 PM
    OK... I did as you suggested... the dog only eats a little each time... about 1/4 a cup for the whole day... should I just leave a cup of food out for the whole day and just take out the dog four times a day to housebreak?
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2004, 07:20 AM
    Irregular eating times complicates housebreaking. A 7 week old likely needs to go out more than 4 times a day. 1/4 cup hardly sounds like enough even for a Chihuahua. Is she gaining weight? If so, everything is OK.
    ircha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
    OK lesten up my spelling isn't the best but I know a lot about animals... especially chihuahuas because I own one of my own. I also owen a black lab,mini doberman pincer and two cats. If you baby chihuahua is not eating puppy food it mite be because you deed to mix it ither with water or milk... but to tell you the truth you chihuahua is eating you gust don't know it. Here is an experiment you can try put out a boll of dog food but count the exact number of dog kiblets there is inside the bole leave it out for about 2 days then count them again there will be some missing. I have given my chihuahua ever thing in including supe... and she loves it but I must admit she is sort of spoiled but I like her that way.if you don't want a spoiled chihuahua then I would keep her or him eating kiblets mixed with water or milk but after a while she/he will get used to eating dry kiblets.;)
    imthebest101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theb6sh0w
    Got a chihuahua pup...7 weeks...it won't eat its food we bought for her...we are trying to feed her eukanuba dog food...she will eat if we drop one kibble on the floor at a time...she will stop eating after the 10th kibble...however, she will eat chicken...

she already went to the vet and everything i fine...how do we get her to eat the puppy food...and out of the bowl...
    Well you might just have one of those snooty doggies.Tell you what I will dog sit for 1 weekend to see what food your dog likes.My dog only likes wet food and people food and only eats dry food if she's starving.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Ummm. Not to burst anyone's bubble here because I know you both are trying to help, but ircha and imthebest, this post is 2 1/2 years old. I hope this puppy is eating by now! :)

Since you both are new to the web site, I hope you take this info in the way it is being offered and intended, as trying to be helpful. Before I answer a post, I always look at the original date and then look to see if the original poster responded. On the dog forum, I usually never answer a post that is over a week old because the problems usually need immediate attention. If you have any questions about using this web site, just PM me. I am always willing to be of help.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 04:43 PM
    A lot happens in 2 1/2 years. The link I gave is out of date. Iamthebest101, ircha, and anybody else with a dog that doesn't eat would be better off going to the ''My dog won't eat.'' section of the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 rather than posting poor answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My chihuahua is too skinny [ 3 Answers ]

Mi oldest chihuahua looks to skinny. When she's laying down and rolls in a ball to sleep like any other dog, you can see every bone in her spine popping up. I see her eat here and there, but it's hard to keep track of how much she actually eats, because I have three chihuahuas. She is very...

Chihuahua Not Eating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old chihuahua who seems to occasionally suffer from upset stomaches. Every now and again, he'll eat grass outside, then come in and just lay around on the floor somewhere (rather than play with a toy or curl up on a couch and sleep). When this happens, it'll take a few hours but...

My chihuahua is skinny [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old, very precious, chihuahua named Taz, he is my world.. but I do have a concern though, he seems to be awfully skinny, I mean, you can see the outline of his ribs. I've tried every dog food on the market available to me, from very cheap to very expensive, I don't care what it...

Chihuahua potty training [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Labman, here's another question for you on my Chihuahua potty training. I have a large front porch (large to my little puppy, anyway) and 5 or 6 steps that he cannot yet manage. I have a lot of leaves on my porch right now, so I started putting the puppy out there yesterday to use the bathroom...

Chihuahua Pooping in Crate! [ 5 Answers ]

Until about a month ago, my husband and I had used potty pads for our chihuahua. We moved and finally got on a schedule and started crate training the dog. For a month this worked really well and the dog actually enjoyed going into his crate and understood that he had to potty outside when we got...

View more questions Search