Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleysb
    Everyone on this site can give you their opinion on weather pot is good, bad, or the other for you, and can even find sites to back it up. But there is one fact about it that everyone can agree on: You can get into serious trouble. And I have a feeling prison would "mess with your head" more than most drugs would. Just my opinion.... ;)
    YES, YES, YES. I spent today in a state mental hospital. The unit I was on was the forensic unit. They specialize in the criminally insane. You know, people who are found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity (NGRI). I can tell you that it was not the drugs that caused the insanity, but, from speaking to the 30+ patients on the unit, that it was the drugs that contributed to the crime.

The most prevalent drugs were marijuana, cocaine (crack), and alcohol. The men on this unit were under the influence of one or more of these drugs when they committed their crimes.

So, while weed itself does not cause crime and/or mental illness in and of itself, it is certainly a factor.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I can tell you that it was not the drugs that caused the insanity, but, from speaking to the 30+ patients on the unit, that it was the drugs that contributed to the crime.
    Yes, for those of you who are insane, I agree that J_9 is absolutely right; you shouldn't smoke pot. I trust that you will see the wisdom of her advice and adhere to it scrupulously.
    Josh_A Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Apr 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Just to speak to the "laziness" and lack of ambition bit... I think one thing that pot does is help people disconnect from the Western capitalism story that keeps "the rest of us" on the rat race treadmill.

I see that as a good thing. The problem comes when they don't have any other compelling story to replace it with.

If you weren't taught how to make your life mean something on your own, then you smoke an herb that "takes away" the story you were given, then I guess it's time to go read some Victor Frankl. Of course turning on the PlayStation is so much easier...

As an aside, it's funny to hear people say things like, "There's a reason it's illegal," since, where I live, it's not.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 14, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    YES, YES, YES. I spent today in a state mental hospital. The unit I was on was the forensic unit. They specialize in the criminally insane. You know, people who are found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity (NGRI). I can tell you that it was not the drugs that caused the insanity, but, from speaking to the 30+ patients on the unit, that it was the drugs that contributed to the crime.

The most prevalent drugs were marijuana, cocaine (crack), and alcohol. The men on this unit were under the influence of one or more of these drugs when they committed their crimes.

So, while weed itself does not cause crime and/or mental illness in and of itself, it is certainly a factor.
    Ok Ive talked to cops , and each and ever one of them said they could not think of arresting a pot user for a crime that they had committed under the influence of weed and weed alone.
    When you get right down to it -- most of the cops Ive spoken to feel the weed laws are a waste of time. -- Savage
    brazygirl08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 9

Apr 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
    You MIGHT get "addicted" to the FEELING. But you won't have withdraw feelings! I mean its not like crack or even cigs... just don't get high daily... It is NOT addictive... wow the government is not always right... putting lies into ppls heads... like global warming is fake... yea OK bush
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_A
    Just to speak to the "laziness" and lack of ambition bit... I think one thing that pot does is help people disconnect from the Western capitalism story that keeps "the rest of us" on the rat race treadmill.

I see that as a good thing. The problem comes when they don't have any other compelling story to replace it with.

If you weren't taught how to make your life mean something on your own, then you smoke an herb that "takes away" the story you were given, then I guess it's time to go read some Victor Frankl. Of course turning on the PlayStation is so much easier...

As an aside, it's funny to hear people say things like, "There's a reason it's illegal," since, where I live, it's not.
    And, just where do you live?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Hello spach:

The worst thing about pot is the trouble you can get into by using it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercarman
    Hello, We wish to comment on this.

Kids are told that pot is bad and they try it and then they realize that the information they were given was bull. At this point whoever told them that has no credibility and they may try other drugs that do offer a real threat to there life.

We wish you well
    You're right. The problem with exaggerating the dangers of pot is that it leads people to disregard warnings about drugs that really are dangerous.

I'm curious. Who is this "we" you refer to in your posts? Are you perhaps royalty and accustomed to using the royal "we"? Or is somebody else helping you compose your answers?
    padddy Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Me and my mates use to smoke weed and out of the lot of us I was scarus because I had seen what it can do to people it can litirally ruin your life accedemically mentally and physically. If I was you I would seriously stop while your ahead and if your friends do not wish to reason with your view then the best thing to do is to find other friends I no it seems hard and unfair but I no because I had to do it. I lost a lot of good friends over weed but at least I no a did the right thing.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Hi Emland,
    We do not reciprocate any hostility toward you.
    If our using the word "we" made you conscious of hostility and resistance inside you we are glad that our presence has aided in making you more conscious.
    Sarcasm, just one more service I offer.

We fail to see what you disagree with? The thread is entitled "smoking weed, can it mess my head up?" and after you appeared to make some kind of insult to us you point out that pot is illegal. Its legal status in the US is quite irrelevant to the subject of this thread or my post.
    Did you read my post about my ex-brother-in-law? My co-worker's son is soooo devoted to weed that he steals his terminal grandmother's pain pills to trade for it. All I can tell you is that I have never met a person who regularly uses pot that is a productive member of society. Oh yeah, they can quit anytime they want - they just never want to quit.

"Grass, the war on drugs" narrated by Woody Harrelson (the Woody from the TV show Cheers)
    Woody Harrelson? Now that's a great thinker. Are you kidding?

Here I bet I am going to shock you. I don't care what anyone wants to put in their body as long as it doesn't affect me as well as society as a whole. By that I mean I don't want to have to pay higher property taxes because we need more police to keep the thugs in line. I don't want to have to pay more insurance fees to cover the junkies ODing in the local emergency room. I don't want anyone working for me that has to use a substance to alter their reality because they can't cope (and that includes every feel-good pill pushed on TV, too.)

We wish you well
    Well, now I have to presume you are Borg. And yes, I will resist whether is it futile or not.
    Marcusstorm Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I used to smoke choof a bit too, and although I am still sain, others have not been that lucky. Everyone is different, someone could smoke once, and have a psychotic episode, whereas a person who smokes consistently for years may not feel any adverse affecrs. Its just whether you want to take that risk.

Apr 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Sarcasm, just one more service I offer.

Did you read my post about my ex-brother-in-law? My co-worker's son is soooo devoted to weed that he steals his terminal grandmother's pain pills to trade for it. All I can tell you is that I have never met a person who regularly uses pot that is a productive member of society. Oh yeah, they can quit anytime they want - they just never want to quit.

Woody Harrelson? Now that's a great thinker. Are you kidding?

Here I bet I am going to shock you. I don't care what anyone wants to put in their body as long as it doesn't affect me as well as society as a whole. By that I mean I don't want to have to pay higher property taxes because we need more police to keep the thugs in line. I don't want to have to pay more insurance fees to cover the junkies ODing in the local emergency room. I don't want anyone working for me that has to use a substance to alter their reality because they can't cope (and that includes every feel-good pill pushed on TV, too.)

Well, now I have to presume you are Borg. And yes, I will resist whether is it futile or not.
    1st point
    Th fact that fool stole his grannies meds just says he is a thief on top of being a pothead.
    "you've never meet a productive pothead? Sorry to tell you but unless where you work has random monthly pee tests you work along side them everyday.
    Ive been smoking for 30 years and out of 30 people in the steel shop I am the goto guy. -- Crane breaks /welder needs repair / need a crane operator / need someone trained how to do a job/ its get Savage he can fix it -- and they all know I am a pothead.

" By that I mean I don't want to have to pay higher property taxes because we need more police to keep the thugs in line. I don't want to have to pay more insurance fees to cover the junkies ODing in the local emergency room."

Potheads are thugs? ask any cop -- they will tell you that potheads are the easiest folks to arrest when it comes to nonviolence and good spirits -- they just say o well I am busted. I target shot with cops and of the 20 or so I have talked about it to 1 thought it should be illegal.--
    Pothead junkies oding? Get a life -- find me just one documented case just one -- till then I will be forced to assume you are a uninformed fool.

" I don't want anyone working for me that has to use a substance to alter their reality because they can't cope (and that includes every feel-good pill pushed on TV, too.)"
    So I am forced to assume by that statement that people working for you are banned from drinking beer /coffee / chocolate etc?

" Well, now I have to presume you are Borg. And yes, I will resist whether is it futile or not"
    You seem to have a fixation on his silly we crap -- maybe you need to smoke a joint and get a life. -- Savage
    Marcusstorm Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spachet
    i want to know does weed mess with everyones head?
    i have smoked weed once or twice, ok alot of the time and i think it messing me up but i really enjoy it. or at least i think i do!
    what is it with weed? is it addictive? can it really harm you and your mental health?
    if i have been realising changes within myself that others can see and its not good could weed be y?
    i want to know what every1 really thinks about it and how many people really have tried it?
    please help.:D
    I used to smoke choof a bit too, and although I am still sain, others have not been that lucky. Everyone is different, someone could smoke once, and have a psychotic episode, whereas a person who smokes consistently for years may not feel any adverse affecrs. Its just whether you want to take that risk.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Now who sounds defensive?

The first point is that the need for the drug has made him forget his responsibility to his family and will let Granny suffer so the sake of his fix.

The thugs I refer to are not the users, they are the ones moving the crap back and forth and fighting for turf. Local stories abound of innocent people being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting shot. When I refer to ODing - I am including any and all drugs. I did also forget to mention I would vote to refuse welfare benefits to any junkie or pothead, either. If you pop positive for drugs - no check - you obviously have the means to score so why do you need the welfare? Do what you want, just don't ask me to subsidize it.

If everyone thinks it is so wonderful, they why can't you get it legalized? Hell, even Clinton owned up to it (kind of) and I believe it is not any worse than booze. (and you guessed it, I have no tolerance for alcoholics, either.) Get your lobbyists together and head for Capital Hill.

My husband's livlihood depends on his TS clearance. My up close and personal experience with users is how I have formed my opinion.

Finally, individuals who refer to themselves as "we" irritate the hell out of me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    The thugs I refer to are not the users, they are the ones moving the crap back and forth and fighting for turf.
    Hello Em:

To one who doesn't know, it's easy to buy that kind of DEA propaganda. However, it's just not true. It may be true of crack, but it's not how pot is sold. I've been in the market for 30 years. I'm not going to lie to you.

There isn't turf. There aren't guns. There aren't wars. There's just a guy who you call up and he comes over. Pot never killed anybody, and its salesmen don't either.

excon

PS> As many regular contributors know, I have a prescription for marijuana, and use it liberally. However, so as not to offend your conservative sensibilities, I promise, because it's medicine, not to enjoy it.

PPS> I also work regularly, pay my taxes and don't drive with my taillights out.

Apr 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
    "Now who sounds defensive?" not so much defensive as dislike of those that post bull as facts.

"I am including any and all drugs." Did you state that? No you stated tat potheads are oding the only thing I can go by is what you post. Am I supposed to read what's between the lines?

" If everyone thinks it is so wonderful, they why can't you get it legalized? " You know every study done by the government has said it should be legalize --and gets buried. The drug companies fear and fight it, But slowly is is being done. One of the things that makes it hard is uninformed people like YOU.
    " welfare benefits" now your claiming that potheads are all on welfare?
    "tolerance for alcoholics" your comparing potheads to alcoholics? - how many potheads beat their wives/kids? How many potheads get in fights?how many potheads come to work so hung over they can not preform?

"My husband's livlihood depends on his TS clearance" so what? What the heck does that point have to do with the fact that others smoke pot?{ and by the way -- at least this old pothead can spell livelihood]

"Finally, individuals who refer to themselves as "we" irritate the hell out of me."
    Well people that post bull as fact irritate the hell out of me.

As a side note do you know that outside of at home kids can get pot easier than they can beer-- you know why? Because its illegal thus unregulated. -- Savage
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme005
    i heard weed is not addcitive... i mean i smoked every single day of my life for like a year and a half..

Your life has only been a year and a half? This says something about pot.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 04:36 AM
    "We" - denotes oneself and another or others
    I don't think anybody was having trouble with the definition, the question was who else is it that's being denoted?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 04:40 AM
    "The FDA also asserted that "there is currently sound evidence that smoked marijuana is harmful"."
    I don't quite understand why you quoted this line..
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSavage
    "I am including any and all drugs." Did you state that? No you stated tat potheads are oding the only thing I can go by is what you post. Am I supposed to read what's between the lines?
    No just try reading the post again. I said I don't care what substance you use.

"If everyone thinks it is so wonderful, they why can't you get it legalized? " You know every study done by the government has said it should be legalize --and gets buried. The drug companies fear and fight it, But slowly is is being done. One of the things that makes it hard is uninformed people like YOU.
    The drug companies are fighting it? The same companies that develop a pill for every little ache and pain? I would think they would be your best friend in this issue - another way of making an easy billion or two.

"welfare benefits" now your claiming that potheads are all on welfare?
    "tolerance for alcoholics" your comparing potheads to alcoholics? - how many potheads beat their wives/kids? How many potheads get in fights?how many potheads come to work so hung over they can not preform?
    I can count 6 off the top of my head that are on public assistance and that is just from my co-workers and extended family.

The pothead I am most familiar with beat his wife while pregnant with their daughter because she spent his stash money on the mortgage. That wasn't the only beating - it was just the last one. She finally left after that one.

And your right, he didn't come to work hungover - he just didn't go to work. He would just get stoned and sit and listen to music for hours on end.

well people that post bull as fact irritate the hell out of me.
    The cases I cite are from real world, up close and personal experiences. I really didn't have an opinion about pot until my sister married the loser I describe above. Rationalize and justify your addiction all you want. We all know you can quit - anytime you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Need help whacking my weed [ 5 Answers ]

I have inherited a kawasaki kbl26a weed eater with the home I'm renting now and cannot figure out how to load the nylon. Got any leads for fixing my weeds?

Weed problems [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a manufactured house in a park and we have areas of stone beds that we try to keep weeded,is there any inexpensive liquid or granuals to help eliminate them? I have a layer of some kind of plastic under the stones.

View more questions Search