Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjacobs4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air
    Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air again.

Anybody have any ideas on what may be wrong?
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 24, 2007, 12:04 PM
    If your outside condensing unit is running and you get a little cold air, you're probably low on refrigerant. Check the outside unit to see if the condenser fan is turning and try to listen for the compressor. You also could be having problems with the reversing valve.

Apr 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Condenser fan is not turning. When I touch R to Y I get a click outside but that's all.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Check all breakers going to the a/c, inside the house main panel and outside at the unit. It will be a two pole breaker around a 40 amp. Turn it off and then back on to get it to reset.

Apr 24, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Reset all the breakers inside and the large t-handle one outside. Had my wife turn unit to "cool" inside and it clicked, paused and then condenser fan started running and almost immediately stopped.

BTW the outside unit is a Bryant 661CT048-C; inside unit is a Carrier; thermosat is a Honeywell manal digital unit (8011?)
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs4
    Reset all the breakers inside and the large t-handle one outside. Had my wife turn unit to "cool" inside and it clicked, paused and then condensor fan started running and almost immediately stopped.

BTW the outside unit is a Bryant 661CT048-C; inside unit is a Carrier; thermosat is a Honeywell manal digital unit (8011?)
    Sounds like it tripped the breaker again. Compressor may be stuck, bad run capacitor or just a shorted wire. Its time to call a service tech, if you know nothing about electricity a unit going to ground can hurt you bad. Sorry I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Apr 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Thanks T-Top. Thougt it might come to that but wanted to see if it was something simple like the thermostat first.

I appreciate the help... I'll be calling a tech.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ac with heat strip blows out cool air. [ 5 Answers ]

I recently (8 months)had a Fedders Ac System installed with a heat strip, but the heat does not seem to work properly. It blows out cool air and takes for ever to warm the house. The contractor has since moved to Dubai so I cannot get in touch with him. Is there anything I can check myself ?...

Pilot light is on but furnace blows cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Came home today to find my house at 53 F. Thermostat was set at 68, so I checked the breaker and that was fine. Checked the wires from the t-stat to the furnace and everything looked good. Pilot light was lit, so I turned the fan switch to "manual" and now the furnace is blowing cool air. I've...

My furnace only blows cool air [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a townhouse, and last weekend the furnace worked fine. Now, all that I get out of the registers is cool air. The furnace ran almost all night, but no warm air at all. What might the problem be?

Furnace blows cool air [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is a bryant model-cacf030aza 5yrs old, natural gas,forced air the problem is that the air coming out of vents is cool air , we have central air, but we made sure that the thermostat was set to heat. In the furnace we do not see any fire at all. It is on and it blows but the air is cool...

Furnace blows cool air [ 4 Answers ]

We have a ducane gas furnace that has blown cool air ever since it was installed, which has been for at least 5 years now. The past owner of this house has covered the only cold air return in our living room floor and we have since opened or created a cold air return in the basement for the time...

View more questions Search