Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountainecho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Riding Mower Starts, but won't Move
    My son was mowing the lawn with our John Deere riding mower yesterday. It stalled on him and he pushed it back to the driveway. I got it started, but when you step on the gas, it doesn't move. Now the thing is stuck in the front yard and it started raining overnight! Any ideas? :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Did your son posibly engage the parking brake? Check that before we start giving you other options.
    mountainecho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Did your son posibly engage the parking brake? Check that before we start giving you other options.
    The answer is "no" - he did not engage the parking brake. Thanks. I did notice a previous post about a belt in the engine, but am not sure if that applies to a John Deere.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 07:23 AM
    If the engine starts but the tractor won't move, no brake, then it is time to start looking at the drive belt. Is this a hydro drive or a shifter? There are three pulleys in the drive system. First is on the engine drive shaft and that pulley turns all the time when the engin is running. The rear pulley is atop the trans axle and turns when the engine is running and the clutch/brake is not depressed. The middle pulley is you tensioner and moves in a slight arc when you depress the clutch. It has a spring attached to an arm that applies presssure to the drive belt when the clutch is out. Obviously, when you inspect these pulleys do so with the blade disengaged. Back to you.
    HRichburg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
    I'd like to pick up this thread since I now have experienced the same issue. Mine is a Hydro, not a shifter. Could it still be a belt somewhere?

Thanks
    HRichburg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Ah I think I found it. I see the loop of a belt hanging down from the rear of the deck. It doesn't appear broken but must have slipped off. Unfortunately I can't see where it goes. I have a mulching deck on the LT 166. Are these difficult to replace yourself or is it time to take it to the dealer and have all the belts replace. They are original.

Thanks again
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hi,
    If he pushed it back, he pulled the rod out to disengage the hydro. Push it back in.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding Mower won't move [ 10 Answers ]

My Murray Riding Mower is 7 yrs old. When I last started the mower it started but does not move forward or backward. Can anyone asvise what could be wrong, e.g. transmission and is it worth repairing, or could it be repaired.

Lawn Mower Starts, Then Quits [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower, after sitting all winter, starts up, runs for a minute but then quits. Could it be lack of oil?

Mower Starts but shuts off in grass [ 3 Answers ]

My Craftsman push mower stopped mid yard and now it won't cut the grass. I tried some basic maintenance to get it going again. I topped off the oil and gas, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the under carriage, and raised the wheels. I checked the blade and it looks fine. I can't think of what to...

MTD mower starts great and then shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

My riding mower starts up great and then shuts off after 30 seconds the fuel is running through the line fine The problem started while I was mowing and now I can't use it What might the problem be and what parts do I need to fix it

Snapper Mower, riding, B&Stranton 9hp Starts, runs, dies... [ 2 Answers ]

So I was feeling pretty snappy from having got my mom's push mower running. She had put a new spark plug in, I gapped it, and drained fuel, took of round thingy with a float in it and washed a screw with hole (in gas). She is mowing with it now! Great... But her riding mower, snapper, with 9...

View more questions Search