Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 19, 2019, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The President has now made an offer that includes some things Democrats have wanted in exchange for funding a wall or barrier on some parts of the border. Democrats ;the open border party say it’s a non-starter. Ok. What’s their counteroffer? Or will they simply not make one proving my point that they want open borders and nothing else ?
    The choices they have been given were things taken away by Trump. Now he's dangling them in front of their faces, a big tease? And no, Democrats don't want open borders!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2019, 07:22 PM
    Democrats don't want open borders!
    No, they will leave them open so long as it serves their purpose. It has been months since Trump moved on DACA and there has been nothing to solve that problem. The demonrats aren't interested anymore, no political capital in it for the moment, and they don't want a Trump solution

What you have now is the big shutdown, or the really, really big shutup.

Someone doesn't want Trump to get kudos from the wall, good idea or bad idea, politically noone is going to salute it. This is the not made here syndrome.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2019, 05:12 AM
    The President has now made an offer that includes some things Democrats have wanted in exchange for funding a wall or barrier on some parts of the border. Democrats ;the open border party say it’s a non-starter. Ok. What’s their counteroffer? Or will they simply not make one proving my point that they want open borders and nothing else ?
    He is offering to undo the stuff he has done for a border wall. This is the guy who walked away from a grand deal last year. And walked away from a BI_PARTISAN deal to avoid a shutdown in the first place, after the right wing loonies blasted him for being soft.

The dems proposals are very simple Tom, open government and secure the borders, and keep talking. Pelosi and the dems were elected just like the dufus was, so no need to spread the political charged open borders lie, on top of the dufus grand lie that a wall solves the problem of gangs and drugs, when the drugs come through the points of entry with legit commerce.

This is a repub senate that filibustered keeping sanctions on the Vlad money machine. This is a senate that refuses to open government until the dufus is happy. Forget the open borders slander, the real question is who runs the senate, MITCH or DUFUS? Never mind, it's obvious The dufus runs the senate in his own feckless style.

That's not how it's laid out in the constitution, only in the minds of loony dufus sycophants in the repub house and senate. America cleaned out the house, guess what's NEXT? Oh just to mention the right wing loonies still ain't happy with the dufus idea. No wall, no government is their position.

That's not how it's laid out in the constitution either.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2019, 06:27 AM
    tal that is not a proposal .Guess we wait until the heat gets to the Dems. Many of them represent districts that voted for Trump specifically because of his position on border sercurity . McConnell brokered Trumps latest proposal along with Pence and Kushner. The Senate is ready to vote on a bill the President will sign. The onerous and the shutdown now resides in the open border Dems' court .
    Expert

Jan 20, 2019, 08:47 AM
    tal that is not a proposal .Guess we wait until the heat gets to the Dems. Many of them represent districts that voted for Trump specifically because of his position on border sercurity . McConnell brokered Trumps latest proposal along with Pence and Kushner. The Senate is ready to vote on a bill the President will sign. The onerous and the shutdown now resides in the open border Dems' court .
    I bet they are if you call that a proposal.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2019, 07:38 AM
    The dems need to respond to Trump's offer. You give a little, I give a little. It's called negotiating. I think the dems are grandstanding for political purposes and will continue to do so as long as they see it as a winning hand. Could very well be true for Trump as well.
    Expert

Jan 21, 2019, 08:23 AM
    Gratifying that you acknowledge the possibility that both sides are playing to their bases. I agree that dems should respond to the offer on the table, but I would have a huge problem with making the lives of real people, specifically DACA, and government workers a leverage point. His offer also reflects previous deals he has REJECTED more than once. Essentially permanent wall funding for temporary DACA relief (3 years) seems a non starter, even though Slick Mitch is reportedly to add "sweeteners" to the proposal. I heard he plans to vote on the house proposals they have passed, and essentially the same ones the senate has passed by voice vote last December.

I guess we will see in the coming days. Not to change the subject but today is Martin Luther King Day and I would be remiss not to acknowledge the birthday of such a great American civil rights activist.

Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2019, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    The dems need to respond to Trump's offer. You give a little, I give a little. It's called negotiating. I think the dems are grandstanding for political purposes and will continue to do so as long as they see it as a winning hand. Could very well be true for Trump as well.
    This isn't a negotiation, it is a demand. As I recall the Demonrats attempted to give Trump half the money before the shutdown and he refused so there is no give in Trump. He isn't prepared to take one dollar less because the lives of those affected by the shutdown don't matter to him. He doesn't see them as voters or at least not his voters. Trump is grandstanding and the Demonrats know they have the House and therefore the veto on funding Anything Trump offers requires funding so he isn't giving anything
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2019, 05:17 AM
    He hasn't moved on funding for the wall, but he has moved on the DACA situation. The dems have not offered half the money. Their stand is they will not give more than one dollar. The only proposal I recall from the dems is a vague offer to increase spending for the border, but not for a wall. Both sides are grandstanding. It is the nature of politics.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2019, 09:45 AM
    Release the hostages!!! There are enough dem, and repub bills to do that and open the government and stop good people from suffering. Dump the dufus and his feckless sycophants!
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2019, 01:57 PM
    Fund the wall and it shall happen.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 22, 2019, 02:45 PM
    Fund the wall and it shall happen.
    "And if you continue to refuse to fund the wall, you'll be really, really sorry, sorrier than you are now!"
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2019, 03:39 PM
    "And if you continue to refuse to fund the wall, you'll be really, really sorry, sorrier than you are now!"
    You have that in quotes, but I can't find anywhere Trump said that. Are you saying that he did?

In your view, what would a reasonable compromise be in this situation, Wondergirl?
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2019, 06:01 PM
    You have that in quotes, but I can't find anywhere Trump said that. Are you saying that he did?

In your view, what would a reasonable compromise be in this situation, Wondergirl?

Compromise? The only compromise is to keep the invaders out and not use military force to do so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 22, 2019, 07:15 PM
    Increased numbers of well-trained immigration agents plus clean, well-run housing and empathetic support services for the refugees and immigrants who have passed through the initial phases of the visa process.

You haven't been listening. What he did say was pretty much that.

He did say, "Walls work, whether we like it or not. They work better than anything.” He apparently hasn't studied what happened with Hadrian's Wall or the Great Wall of China or the Berlin Wall or the Walls of Troy or the Walls of Babylon.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2019, 07:34 PM
    Increased numbers of well-trained immigration agents plus clean, well-run housing and empathetic support services for the refugees and immigrants who have passed through the initial phases of the visa process.
    OK. That's not a compromise, it's dictating terms. I would think the dems could offer 3 bil for the wall rather than 5, and ask for concessions for DACA and TPS.

Why is it that libs are always asking for "clean, well-run housing...support", paid for with someone else's money, or even worse with borrowed money?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 22, 2019, 07:42 PM
    OK. That's not a compromise, it's dictating terms. I would think the dems could offer 3 bil for the wall rather than 5, and ask for concessions for DACA and TPS.
    I'm negotiating. That's my card on the table to counter tRump's.

Why is it that libs are always asking for "clean, well-run housing...support", paid for with someone else's money, or even worse with borrowed money?
    Why is tRump going to use our money, especially MY tax money that I've/we've paid, so he can fund a wall I/we don't want? Let him use his own money.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2019, 08:33 PM
    I'm negotiating. That's my card on the table to counter tRump's.
    Fair enough, but what would you propose as a genuine compromise?

Why is tRump going to use our money, especially MY tax money that I've/we've paid, so he can fund a wall I/we don't want? Let him use his own money.
    Good reply. I think the difference is in giving money to individuals versus spending money on a project that will benefit us all.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 22, 2019, 08:45 PM
    Fair enough, but what would you propose as a genuine compromise?
    We're not at the compromise stage yet. Trump stated his goal. I stated mine. Does he want to discuss, or will he storm out of the room, saying "Bye, bye!"

Good reply. I think the difference is in giving money to individuals versus spending money on a project that will benefit us all.
    How will a wall benefit me? I have no problem with refugees and immigrants eventually becoming citizens, probably willing to do all those low-paying jobs (custodial work, harvesting crops, reroofing buildings, working in construction and rebuilding infrastructure, becoming CNAs) that our privileged white adult children and grandchildren won't do.
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2019, 05:29 AM
    We're not at the compromise stage yet. Trump stated his goal. I stated mine. Does he want to discuss, or will he storm out of the room, saying "Bye, bye!"
    You're dithering.

How will a wall benefit me?
    Illegals consume billions upon billions of dollars in tax money every year. That's how it should concern you.

privileged white adult children
    Funny how liberals can never stray far away from race.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

New Mexico estate question for who gets paid first [ 22 Answers ]

My mother passed away in September 2013. She had a home with a mortgage, no medical bills, TONS of "stuff" (I would have to call it hoarding), 2 credit card bills (one very small, one about $1700). I have a brother and there was a will. She willed everything to us to split evenly. I am the...

The western border of tanzania is defines by a ________ and the northern border is __ [ 2 Answers ]

The western border of tanzania is defines by a ________ and the northern border is ______. A) natural boundary, man made. B) river, the ocean. C)lake, a natural boundary. D)river, a line of longitude.

View more questions Search