Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gokullu Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2018, 06:04 PM
    Deducting Solar and Roofing cost
    Hi,
    We purchased a new house during Jan-2018 and couple of months ago we did a solar installation. Since our roof was old our contractor suggested to replace the roof first. So we re-roofed and then installed the solar. Both roofing and solar are done by the same contractor (2 contracts). In our solar contract they did mention that we need to re-roof for the solar installation and mentioned the roofing cost and contract details.

Fyi:
    Roofing cost: $12141
    Solar cost: $11365

I was told I can deduct both roofing and solar cost. Kindly let me know how much of this can be deducted?

Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2018, 06:23 PM
    "Since our roof was old".
    Being old doesn't count. If the contractor can tell you the roof was storm damaged that is different but then your HO insurance would cover. Roofs are like old rugs, you replace them. I spent 30+ years with commercial insurers. We would only replace a roof after good inspection indicated a covered peril. Old age is not a covered peril.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2018, 11:16 PM
    I agree with ma0641 that the "old" roof does NOT qualify for an insurance claim because it is old. That cost must be born by you.

I assume you intend to claim the 30% tax credit using Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credit). Initially, I thought claiming the roof replacement as part of the cost associated with the installation of the solar panels was a stretch at best.

However, below my name below is an extract from the 2017 instructions for IRS Form 5695. Note the part that is bold black. That pretty much confirms what you were told, i.e. you CAN claim the cost of the roof replacement as part of solar panel installation, especially if the installation contract specifically state that you needed to replace the roof in order to install the solar panels.

In my considered opinion, you CAN claim both the solar panels AND the re-roofing costs for the 30% credit.

ATG

Qualified solar electric property costs.
    Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. The home doesn't have to be your main home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pitched shingle roofing installed over vented nailboard meeting flat EPDM roofing [ 0 Answers ]

How do I flash and finish a pitched shingle roof installed over a 4-1/2" vented nailboard when the pitched roof dead ends into a flat EPDM roof?

Roofing estimates/cost [ 7 Answers ]

What is the going rate (labor & material) for the roofing of a flat roof 1/12 pitch 90# gravel face. 2200 square ft I am doing this job for my landlord and am trying to correctly figure out my bid. I need some guidelines etc without having roofers come over to assess etc. It is Sat.....

Deducting interest [ 1 Answers ]

My mom is not able to deduct mortgage interest because she has a annuity that she pays no federal tax. I make 75%v of the house payment but my name is not on the loan. Can I deduct the mortgage intersest on my imcome taxes?

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

View more questions Search