Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
    To young to date?
    How old should someone be to go on a date. For instance should a 12 year old girl(grade 7) be going out to guys to the movies?? Should she even be talking to them on the phone the computer? Is 12 to young to date? Because I like this one guy and hah I bet you knew this was coming I'm 12 we were going to go to the movies but instead we went to mu cuzez and just hung out.(he's 13 grade 7). Please anserew me a.s.a.p!
    animal lover Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Hi I went out with someone when I was 12 and we did all sorts together. 12 is not to young its just about the right age.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Sorry, but I disagree. At 12 its Ok to hang out in groups, go on group dates. But I would wait until 14 before you do one on one dating. Talking on the phone or online is fine.

What do your parents say?
    animal lover Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Sorry but when you have a boyfriend you want your inderpendents.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 23, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Sorry, but I disagree. At 12 its Ok to hang out in groups, go on group dates. But I would wait until 14 before you do one on one dating. Talking on the phone or online is fine.

What do your parents say?
    Scott is right, but as a father I would say one on one dating, you should be at least 25. But maybe I am not reasonable.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Perhaps studying vocabulary would serve a better use for time!

12 is 6th grade, correct? I didn't even admit I liked boys until well into Junior High School. My, how times have changed.

I agree with Scottgem. Group activities make more sense and are safer (especially for girls!) Don't rush - you have plenty of time.

Apr 23, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by animal lover
    sorry but when you have a boyfriend you want your inderpendents.
    First, at 12 or 13, even into 14, young people are usually more enamored with the idea of a boy/girl friend then the are with the actual person. You see the concept of a male-female relationship portrayed on TV and in movies and you want to emulate it. But at that young age, you just don't have the maturity. Don't try to grow up too fast!

Second, at 12 & 13, you don't have independence, period. You are totally dependent on your parents for food, shelter, clothing, transportation etc.
    donohoec Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Apr 23, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94
    How old should someone be to go on a date. For instance should a 12 year old girl be going out to guys to the movies??? Should she even be talking to them on the phone the computer? Is 12 to young to date? Because i like this one guy and hah i bet you knew this was coming im 12 we were going to goto the movies but instead we went to mu cuzez and just hung out.(he's 13). Please anserew me a.s.a.p!!
    Not really, if you are interested in some one go get them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Second, at 12 & 13, you don't have independence, period. You are totally dependent on your parents for food, shelter, clothing, transportation etc.
    That describes a couple of 30 something year old nesters I know, too!
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
    If it helps any it grade 7 hah.. and for scott gems questions just like matt 3506 not until I'm 25 and I don't have a mom so...
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I feel a kinship since we are both named Emily! My son is 16 and has only recently progressed to group outings to the movies and no parents. I think it depends a lot on how responsible you and your date are and the community you are in. I grew up in a small town and everyone knew everyone else. I am raising my children in a huge city where I don't even know my neighbor's last name, so I will never allow her to go unchaperoned to the movies. If your guardian is saying no, it isn't to stop your fun, but to look out for you best interests.

akms : hay who's awsoming she's straight I'm trans and have liked GIRLS since 1st grade o.k
    I am not assuming anything. Emily94 asked if 12 was too young for a girl to go out with a guy.

You've liked girls since 1st grade? Well, bully for you.
    akms Posts: 131, Reputation: -3

Apr 23, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Hi I'm 11 and "supposedly mature" for my age 12s a good age if your not really imature and 11s a good age if your REALLY mature
    akms Posts: 131, Reputation: -3

Apr 23, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Comment on Emland's post
    Hay who's awsoming she's straight I'm trans and have liked GIRLS since 1st grade o.k
    luv22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 08:33 PM
    How old should someone be to go on a date. For instance should a 12 year old girl(grade 7) be going out to guys to the movies??? Should she even be talking to them on the phone the computer? Is 12 to young to date? Because i like this one guy and hah i bet you knew this was coming im 12 we were going to goto the movies but instead we went to mu cuzez and just hung out.(he's 13 grade 7). Please anserew me a.s.a.p!!
    Hi, Im 22, but I have a 12 year old sister, and I got to tell you, I think Dating can't really happen until your at least 16 and driving. But a boyfriend, sure that's cool. I think its more of a maturity thing though. Until your trusted it should be limited, as well as supervised. But you sound like a smart girl.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Hi, I am a mother of 3 girls ( ages 10, 8, and 4) and a boy (age 3). My 8 year has asked me to tell her at what age she will be allowed to go out on a date. I tell her that I cannot give her a specific age, and together with her father we will decide when she is mature enough.
    Why are you concerned with going on a date instead of hanging out with a bunch of people and the guy? If you want to go on a date so that you can have the privacy to make out then you are definitely not ready to go. There is no reason why you can't have a boyfriend without actually going on a date. You can hang out and be around each other without the pressure of being on a date.
    If you don't have a mom around, is there another family member or friends mom that you look up to as a role model who you can talk with about these things? Someone who knows you better will be able to help you a lot more than strangers -no matter how caring we are.
    mommysgurl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 11:08 PM
    How old should someone be to go on a date. For instance should a 12 year old girl(grade 7) be going out to guys to the movies??? Should she even be talking to them on the phone the computer? Is 12 to young to date? Because i like this one guy and hah i bet you knew this was coming im 12 we were going to goto the movies but instead we went to mu cuzez and just hung out.(he's 13 grade 7). Please anserew me a.s.a.p!!
    Well hun... I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but I got to tell you that it is OK to date at 12... lol you were expecting me to say something else weren't you lol... well hun I say as long as you like the guy and the guy likes you and yal are both old enough to know right from wrong then hun you are so OK to go on a date... I mean you aren't too young to date but because your 12 and you date doesn't mean to rush things aight... jus keep it kwl, be yourself, and member don't rush things because hun you isn't ever too old to learn new things and you isn't gota be a master mind at all things when your 12 either so member take it sloooooowwwwww... lol but for real if you have any more questions or you don't understand what I'm saying to you right now then holla back aight!! laterz
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 24, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Scott is right, but as a father I would say one on one dating, you should be at least 25. But maybe i am not reasonable.

I was just kidding you, sometimes my sense of humor is not funny at all. Sorry, just take it slow. I think most parents would probably be open to chaperoned or group dates. I know you probably feel like this allot, well don't worry things will change.

Name:  1284801.gif
Views: 172
Size:  26.8 KB

Apr 25, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommysgurl
    well hun.....i got to tell you that it is ok to date at 12....
    Typically, the adults have said 12 is too young and the kids (mommysgurl is 15) have said its OK.

But, if kids always knew what was best for them, they wouldn't need parents to help guide them to adulthood. The whole purpose of the family unit is to provide a nurturing environment for a child to develop. It has long been proven that children need guidance. As they grow they develop the maturity to make decisions on their own. But they need time and experience to be able to do that.

So, I will reiterate what the adults have said. At 12 children are generally too young an immature for the emotional attachment of dating. That does not mean they can't be friends with someone of the opposite sex, or even that they can't hang out together. But there is a mystique about "dating" that a child is not yet prepared to handle.

Don't try to grow up too fast. Your childhood is a precious time. Don't try to rush the transisition to adolescence and adulthood.
    kaitlinandreg07 Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
    I'm 19 and I know how you feel although I think dating at your age is all right as long as there is no sex or any thing. Going to the movies is fun for any one go for it just don't do anything you will regret. Have sex kiss when you feel right not him, don't think that just because every one is doing it you have to be an idividual and don't make stupid choices. Go have fun!! Good luck and hope I helped
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    I was just kidding you, sometimes my sense of humor is not funny at all. Sorry, just take it slow. I think most parents would probably be open to chaperoned or group dates. I know you probably feel like this allot, well don't worry things will change.

Name:  1284801.gif
Views: 172
Size:  26.8 KB
    Hah matt I knew you were kidding and I think my dad is to:confused: I think he is hah turns out my sis knows the guy I want to date hah she's pretty tight with his bro hah( there best friends)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too young? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I'm married and I'm 21 years old. But I'm ready to start a family. My career is set. And we make enough money to support childern. It's just I'm so stressed out when we try. And we don't succeed. I feel really depressed and don't know what to do.

Way too young for this! [ 11 Answers ]

Our 8 year old daughter and my best friends son (7 years old) were told a week or so ago in a conversation with them that we felt they were too young to be boyfriend/girlfriend when they asked us if they could be. Today, when I looked in on the kids, the girl (8) and boy (7) were sitting on the...

Too young? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey, Im 16 and me and my boyfriend have been together for awhile now and do you ever just get the feeling that he's the one? Well I have the feeling and my boyfriend has asked me to marry him in the fall. He is 21 and I know that seems like a lot of age difference, but I am very mature for my age....

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search