Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2018, 07:21 PM
    Wild weather
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...cid=spartandhp

We should ask ourselves how does a situation arise where there are nine major concurrent storms threatening to wreck havoc? We should also ask ourselves will our responses be adequate? History suggests they will not
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2018, 07:29 PM
    Note that 7 of the highest 8 seasons for major hurricanes occurred BEFORE the year 2000, so maybe doing nothing is not a bad idea.

Attachment 49053

Name:  Capture hurricane.PNG
Views: 154
Size:  10.2 KB
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2018, 12:36 AM
    When you say doing nothing are you speaking about the response to the devastation? That would be the Trump response. On the other hand if you are speaking about climate change, we are already beyond the tipping point if the problem is emissions, and if the reason is something else, then there is nothing we can do but recognise we live in a volitile environment and we are not in charge.

We can expect there will be problems from these storms in the US, the UK, Philippines, China and other places yet to be determined and looking to the past is little consolation. Perhaps we should be thinking that this happens and people should be persuaded to be building in different places, building in more resistant materials and moving away from coastlines and rivers. The stotic attitude of "ah well, shlt happens" isn't good enough
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 14, 2018, 06:57 AM
    The attachment didn't work JL, but the science is clear warmer water more intense storms, but individual resources count because you need insurance and a place to go. Some have neither, and man has yet to fully be prepared for mother natures forces. I mean who can afford the costs of building those hurricane and flood resistant homes? Remember Katrina overwhelmed the new levy systems they had, and it was back to the drawing board but the main issue is man is HELPLESS no matter what he does because he under estimates the problem, and it's complexities, and resources are very limited in the first place for a cleanup after huge disasters hit.

Yeah it's the AFTER that's the problem. Even if a massive evacuation goes well at some point you go back to that reality of rebuilding in time for the next wave of tourists.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2018, 09:21 AM
    I was referring to a massive, economy-destroying effort (Paris Climate Accord) to lower CO2 in the atmosphere. You can be sure that FEMA will do a good job in responding to the current emergency. NC has already done a lot of prep, unlike the poor efforts put forth by La and NO in the time prior to Katrina. If they do as well as Mississippi did during Katrina, they will have done great.

I hope the link will work now. These things are hard to get to work on this platform, at least they are for me. Oh well.
    Expert

Sep 14, 2018, 12:39 PM
    I would love to hear about those economy destroying efforts to lower CO2 emissions. Sure the technology spans several industries and is expensive initially for producers but clean air for the residences that live near them is worth it don't you think? I see it like the big bucks cyber companies have to pay for securing your information.

I do better with links and C&P than attachments.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2018, 02:09 PM
    geeze you should see the look of disappointment from the left as Florence downgraded . 1st they jacked up the deaths in PR to around the same #s as 9-11 days before Florence hit ;with no proof that the new assessment is close to accurate . Then they hit everyone with this non-story about Trump diverting FEMA money to ICE (note none of the money transferred would be eligible for disaster relief ;and FEMA disaster relief fund is fully funded to the tune of $26.5 billion . )Then we find out that in PR cases and cases of water that FEMA sent to the island were left untouched in the airport. I suppose it was Trump's fault that the local government there is a basket case . Give it a day or 2 and you will hear the whining about the poor Federal response .

We should ask ourselves how does a situation arise where there are nine major concurrent storms threatening to wreck havoc?
    WEATHER HAPPENS ! . I give you permission to make that into a bumper sticker .
    Expert

Sep 14, 2018, 04:17 PM
    The weakening of Florence is no disappointment to THIS lefty, given I have a LOT of peeps in the Carolinas, but between potential tornadoes, and the creeks and rivers rising this weather happening is FAR from over.

What are you retweeting the Dufus Tom? I agree that the butt kissing governor was caught flatfooted, but PR never had a chance without a huge logistics boost from a huge presence within the island like other Americans had.

Dufus still gets a F!
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2018, 12:05 AM
    You either take charge of relief or you do not, relief is not dumping a load at the airport and who knows when it was dumped, in any case, power is what is needed not water that should have been a load of generators and fuel

while I'm here I would like to make the point, everything isn't a debate about CO2 emissions, and everything that happens shouldn't be blamed on the negative or positive effects of abatement
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2018, 06:00 AM
    in any case, power is what is needed not water that should have been a load of generators and fuel
    What makes you think that is not being done? It's amazing. This storm is not over yet, and relief efforts have barely begun, yet people can't wait to jump on the "hate Trump" bandwagon, even when they have no idea of what's going on.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2018, 06:06 AM
    but the science is clear warmer water more intense storms,
    Actually, the science is not clear at all on that. According to this site, the 5 most intense storms ever on the basis of low pressure all occurred prior to the year 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pical_cyclones
    Expert

Sep 15, 2018, 07:15 AM
    You make a compelling scientific case, and I thank you for that, and submit that often these storms are measured by the destruction they bring and the toll to humans in the aftermath. Taking Florence as an example, though it weakened at landfall, the area it effected was pretty enormous, and may take days or weeks to deal with all the water it stirred around, and the loss of power. Still a dangerous situation, after first responders have made their initial rescues, it's still all hands on deck.

Hurricanes are but part of the wild weather and changing environment we face though. Yeah maybe weather happens, but if we can poison whole communities without the weather being wild then you have a better insight on the whole climate change argument that has humans fingerprints all over it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2018, 10:43 AM
    warmer water ...... Florence dropped to a cat 2 and below before it reached landfall
    Expert

Sep 15, 2018, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    warmer water ...... Florence dropped to a cat 2 and below before it reached landfall
    I wonder WHY? Dumb luck I guess. Whatever it is I'm glad the full fury of this storm didn't have to be realized.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2018, 11:56 AM
    but if we can poison whole communities without the weather being wild then you have a better insight on the whole climate change argument that has humans fingerprints all over it.
    Not sure what you mean there. Poison whole communities?
    Expert

Sep 15, 2018, 02:54 PM
    Flint Michigan comes to mind, but they are just the most famous one, but not the only one.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2018, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    What makes you think that is not being done? It's amazing. This storm is not over yet, and relief efforts have barely begun, yet people can't wait to jump on the "hate Trump" bandwagon, even when they have no idea of what's going on.
    If people hate Trump it is because of his big mouth and ego, he does it to himself. One day he might stop twisting the facts
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2018, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    If people hate Trump it is because of his big mouth and ego, he does it to himself. One day he might stop twisting the facts

Trump is a despicable thing of evil, and anybody who can't see that is blind.

For those who DO see it and continue to support Trump for his political ideology are playing Faust to Trump's Mephistopheles.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2018, 12:28 AM
    Does Trump have a political ideology? It is not readily apparent. His stamp appears to be that he is different and therefore anything that anyone else did is not for him
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2018, 06:13 AM
    Flint Michigan comes to mind, but they are just the most famous one, but not the only one.
    What on earth does Flint have to do with climate change?? Your original statement ("we can poison whole communities without the weather being wild then you have a better insight on the whole climate change argument that has humans fingerprints all over it.") seems to be referring to climate change. Perhaps I misread your intent.

I just love reading the comments of all the dems who supported the most inept, dishonest presidential candidate to run for that office since her husband, Bill. If you are going to run a candidate like that, don't complain when you end up with a Donald Trump. When you describe him as "a despicable thing of evil", you could more accurately be describing YOUR candidate. You are saying that we who voted for Trump should have voted for saint Hillary like all of the smart, moral people did. That assertion won't hold water, not so much as a drop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bios weather home weather station parts [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to replace the wind turbine for my wireless weather station, as ours broke due to heavy snow. Where can I get a replacement? Please advise Thank You Audrey

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Shy but wants to be wild [ 11 Answers ]

Ok here's the thing! Me and my boyfriend have just started having sex, he was my first. I am a naturally kinky person (my mind runs wild and there is so much I want to do) and I know he would probably like something other then missionary style, I know he would like me on top! The thing is I'm shy!...

View more questions Search