Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbie_fi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2018, 08:40 PM
    Relocation benefit & W2
    Hi,
    My company relocated me to the US in the end of 2016 but due to payroll cut off dates, all the relocation expense, benefit and tax assitance was reported in my 2017 wages. The box 1 of my W2 form currently shows my annual income + taxable relocation benefits/costs and the tax assitance reported under appropriate taxes boxes. My question is do I need create form 3903 so I can claim moving expense deduction and lower my overall taxable AGI and may be qualify me to claim child tax credits which otherwise I am not able claim due to high wages (box 1).

Thank you,
    AliM
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2018, 03:35 AM
    Yes, create the Form 3903 and claim the moving expenses on your 2017 tax return.
    newbie_fi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2018, 06:46 PM
    Thanks for the response! Even if the company paid for all the expense and taxes and then just added those amounts to my W2 wages w/o any categorization/breakdown, I can create the form?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2018, 08:21 AM
    Yes, because when the reimbursements become taxable income, the expenses become tax deductible on Form 3903.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extraordinary SignOn Relocation Benefit Repayment Question [ 2 Answers ]

The usual situation: leaving before 12 months, and the company wants me to repay the signon bonus, and the relocation benefits. Tricky part: the contract doesn't specify WHEN I, employee, would be required to pay back such amounts. Will such a contract be enforceable? They're on the verge of taking...

Relocation [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved once but will be again due to job but don't want to petion the court again

View more questions Search