Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siniang Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2018, 11:24 PM
    State return (Hawaii) as J-1 student, filing as resident, but married?
    Hi,

I have another question. For my state return I have to file as a resident because - despite being a student - I have remained in-state for more than 220 days and while in the instructions they only talk about J-1 scholars and professors, this was the answer I got from the tax department.

What I'm unsure about is whether my husband (alien on J-2) can file the state return jointly or have to file separate returns. For the federal return (1040NR-EZ), we must not file jointly by law, but I can't find anything for the state of Hawaii in this regard?

Thank you very much for any help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2018, 11:41 PM
    To be sure, I would call the Hawaiian tax authorities.

It looks like your Hawaii state return must mirror your federal return, which means if you file a separate return on the federal return, you must do the same in Hawaii.
    siniang Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2018, 11:56 PM
    Thank,

I called and emailed them last year, but never got an answer for this (so we ended up filing separate returns).

However, the two returns don't mirror each other already because one is nonresident and the other is resident?

I will try to call again, but last year (I had asked about whether I'm considered resident for the state return given I'm "J-1" but a "student) she only cited the instructions - which aren't clear
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2018, 09:51 AM
    Hopefully you will get someone who is more knowledgeable when you call this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return - is married filing jointly applicable with non-resident status? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Me and my spouse are both working in Texas on L1 VISA. Our 19 months old child is on L2. My spouse and kid came to USA on 6th Aug 2011 and I came on 22nd Sep 2011. 1) What will be the resident status for me and my spouse for year 2011? Is the Substantial Presence test applicable for us?...

Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax...

Resident Alien (H1), Ameding 2005 Tax return, to married filing jointly [ 3 Answers ]

I filed my 2005 tax returns as "married filing separately", my wife had not yet joined me in the US. My wife has joined me since and has her ITIN, and the question is, can I amend my 2005 tax return to change filing status as "married jointly" to take advantage of the deductions? (My wife...

More details about filing state tax return for NJ resident working in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer from Delite. However, I am a little confused. Should I have to pay both NJ and NY taxes? Confusius

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search