Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2018, 12:03 AM
    Washer makes squeaking noise...
    Searched, but it was all dryer. The washer questions were unanswered. My washer makes a squeak when it's agitating. Whee, whee, whee, whee. I thought it was family overloading, but it's got to doing it most all the time now. I'm guessing it's a belt or a bearing of some sort, I don't know how these things are driven. It's a GE, but can't see the model number without my glasses. If model and serial is needed I'll post. I'll take the whole thing apart if I need to. :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 2, 2018, 04:57 AM
    You will need the model and serial numbers for sites like repair clinic.com and your glasses (And popcorn or favorite snack) to watch the videos. Also YouTube has many videos on "squeaky washing machine when agitating".

Post your ID numbers and we can see what's up.

https://www.hunker.com/13410628/my-w...when-agitating

https://www.partselect.com/Repair/Washer/Noisy/

Mar 6, 2018, 06:54 AM
    Model number is WHDSR316G2WW and serial number is DS108831G. Yes, I've fixed all kinds of stuff watching Youtube videos, but I always like to ask first where someone with some experience can point me in the right direction. That way I don't drive around the world when someone might say, "Oh yeah, take a right at the next light and you're there." :) Thanks for the links.

Mar 6, 2018, 08:06 AM
    Looked through dozens of videos and couldn't find any that duplicated my noise. So I'm working on making a video to post here with the noise. But from what I'm gathering from those two links you posted, maybe the drive belt. It only does it during agitation and it only does it during the thrust of the agitator. Everything else seems to turn smoothly with no strange sounds or excess vibrations. I just ran a cycle with no clothes and the agitation was nice and smooth with no noise and I took a few seconds of video. Next I'm going to do a small load of clothes and see what I get. If that goes nice and smoothly, I'll do a full load and see what I get, videoing all the way. Then I'll compile the video and upload it.

Mar 6, 2018, 09:34 AM
    Here's the video: https://youtu.be/gw9EnAuIe2o
    Expert

Mar 6, 2018, 09:34 AM
    From what I have read I wouldn't go any further than checking the drive belt. Tearing stuff up chasing noise could be anything and until you get a bad performance you would be chasing parts. The old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom may apply here as you are already finding out that the size of your load has made a difference in the sound. I think you are going about this the right way though with simple load testing.

Having said that... This video shows the whole agitator/motor/tub assembly.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Video/V...aring-WH2X1198

You can inspect EVERYTHING from this video.
    Expert

Mar 6, 2018, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
    LOL, I see you have already got plenty of how to videos

Mar 12, 2018, 04:57 AM
    Good gravy, when I said "take the whole thing apart", I unknowingly wasn't kidding. :( Just watched that last video you posted. I get interrupted about 50 times a day with everything under the sun. I would never remember how to get that thing back together. So I guess I can either call our repair guy and ask him what he thinks or we can just go buy a new washer I guess. (sigh) I can just see my wife's face if she walked in and I had washer parts all over the basement floor. Like my old truck, I guess we'll just run this thing "'til the wheels fall off". Thank you for your help.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2018, 07:28 AM
    It's really not that bad a job John, but I can certainly see after watching a few videos where you would decide against it. That's why I like videos so you can see what you're getting into before hand. I think expert eyes can quote you a price (service calls run about $50 bucks though), so you can see if it's worth it. Lastly, did you check for level? A shot in the dark but very easy to do... for free.

Mar 15, 2018, 05:26 AM
    No I have NOT checked for level! :) I will do so this weekend. It's a basement floor that is sloped towards a drain, so it could have gotten off kilter. Come to think of it, seems like it started a couple months ago after an episode of the "washer walking". I've explained to mama about balancing a load, but she listens to that about like she listens to everything else I say. We had another bad "washer walking" episode a couple weeks ago and she acted like we had never had the "balancing a load" conversation. So there's a possibility the leg adjustments have shifted and started the squeaking. I'll give that a look.

Also, yeah, I've got a great repair guy who I went to school with. Very reputable, very honest, very knowledgeable. He always tells me if something's worth spending the money to repair or if I should just replace just from his knowledge of various models, so if I can't figure something out, I've always got a good backup. :) Even if I have to replace, I'm thinking it's about 8 years old and we run it almost daily, so with today's quality in machines, I suspect we got our money's worth out of it.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2018, 09:43 AM
    That's interesting, and just remember there are TWO level checks, side to side and front to back, let me know what you find.

How to Fix a Walking Washer | Home Guides | SF Gate

On that note though suspension rods, load springs, and those easy to check stability straps at the top may also need checking and TWEAKING/replacing. Also, besides walking due to loose feet, some models (mostly front loaders, or top loaders without the FIXED motor housing brackets) are notorious for structure, and frame support damage just from being moved by a dolly. Moving damages aren't readily apparent unless you look for them specifically after hearing that unusual NOISE, caused by scrapping warped bottom panels, or a sagging front/back support ( Definitely another video)

Ask Home Depot, Sears, or wherever they sell new top brands what they do with the trade ins they get. You would be shocked at what refurbished/used appliance shops get by fixing trade ins for new appliances.

You may not get another 8 years from YOUR washer, but somebody will. Good Luck and keep us posted.

PS. A trusted maintenance guy is worth his weight in gold.

Mar 16, 2018, 06:16 AM
    Fortunately, inspection of both of our walking incidents found a big wad of blue jeans and heavy sweaters on one side of the basket. Moving the clothes around MIRACULOUSLY fixed the problem. :)

Apr 22, 2018, 02:38 AM
    Sorry, been meaning to get back to this... whaddayaknow? The machine was a bit out of position, probably after we just shoved it back after the "walking" incident. I centered it up and it was a little off-level. I moved the feet and got it leveled up in both directions. Hasn't made a sound since. :D I forgot my own advice from back when I was a "computer guy"... don't go looking for a difficult solution when you can start with the simplest one, no matter how unlikely. Now it may blow to pieces tomorrow, but for now, everything seems to be working just fine. Thanks for your help Talaniman!
    Expert

Apr 24, 2018, 04:49 AM
    Most welcome Johns, and glad you got it solved. I love it when things get solved... till the next time! 8D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ge washer 3yrs old makes grinding noise [ 2 Answers ]

Newer washer 3 yrs old started making a grinding noise during wash cycle besides checking level haven't done anything else yet Ge model top loader #wjrr5550kww Wondering if motor or tranny is going out

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

GE Washer makes loud noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older GE washer (about 5-7 years old) that has started making a loud, dry metallic grinding sound when running. I had to replace the clutch about 4 years ago and recently the clip that holds it in place came loose and I had to snap it back in place. The washer worked fine for a few...

View more questions Search