Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jess46126 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2018, 12:21 PM
    How much should I hold back?
    I am looking at excepting a position in IN. 28,000 year salary 1099. I am single with 2 children. What % do I hold back each check? I also travel at work so will keep track of mileage.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2018, 04:27 PM
    As a contractor, you should DEFINITELY keep track of mileage and every other expense you incur, because it is more than likely deductible in one forms or another.

As for how much to set aside: if the $28K is your ONLY income source for 2018, you WILL qualify for both the Earned Income Credit for a significant amount ($5,000+) PLUS an additional $4,000 for the Child Tax Credit ($2,000 per child, assuming the children are both YOUNGER that 16 years of age).

Given these facts, you need to put NOTHING aside. You likely will owe NO federal income tax, and the MAX self-employment tax will be at most $4,000, and the Child Tax Credit will pay that, so you should be okay setting NOTHING aside. The only tax you may owe may be Indiana state income tax, but that will not be that much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't hold back the tears any longer? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get this music -Picture Perfect- Can't hold back the tears

My first grader has an IEP and I want to hold her back [ 8 Answers ]

Please someone tell me how to proceed at my next IEP meeting. My little girl is doing pretty well in first grade but she is very immature. She seems more like a kindergartener than a first grader. She is just a little behind in reading but needs one on one to do math. She currently gets 2 45 minute...

Is it okay to hold a dog back when they seizure? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a dalmatian that has seizures, when he seizures he likes to run but this obviously is unsafe. I am wondering if it is okay for me to hold him. I usually straddle him and put my arms around his neck, kind of like hugging him. Do you think this is okay? Or do you have a better suggestion?...

Should I hold my child back [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 8 years old and her private school teacher and principal want to put her back in 1st grade. She struggles with reading but spells well. One day she can read the words and the next she can't. She is very outgoing and has no behavior issues. She is very mature verbally, but...

Felony does it hold me back [ 15 Answers ]

I am 25 years old and got a felony DUI, and I am interested in becoming a real estate agent and was asking if that is a career field I can pursue and if anybody has any other careers that they know a felon can peruse let me know, I really would like to go to college but not sure if I would...

View more questions Search