Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 01:41 PM
    Inherited ROTH IRA
    I don't know if I am asking this on the correct forum but I'm giving it a whirl. Do I have to report to the IRS an inherited Roth IRA I received last year? I did receive a 1099 form. I'd prefer not to report it. I owe absolutely NO taxes on it and for personal reasons I'd rather not have to. What happens if I choose to omit it. I've used turbo tax, adding it makes NO difference in any way to the outcome of my taxes this year. Will it really matter?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2018, 03:54 PM
    You must report it, You merely report it as it was given you as a 1099. Your program will ask if you have one.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2018, 04:21 PM
    Report it. Better than the IRS finding it, auditing you or a penalty. Read this. Somewhat depends on age, spousal status etc.
    https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Inheriting_a_Roth_IRA
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 23, 2018, 06:10 PM
    If your personal reason is that you receive some sort of gov't assistance (Medicaid, SNAP, etc), I would suggest that you not omit it even though your taxes compute the same.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 02:16 PM
    Ok. I figured I had to. It has nothing to do with receiving assistance. It’s just a giant mess. There were 5 beneficiaries and it was split 5 ways. For some reason Merrill Lynch messed the 1099 form up. They have me as sole beneficiary and I can’t seem to find anyone competent enough to fix the error. My siblings want their tax refunds. They want to file ASAP. I guess I will just file it as if I received it all. It honestly makes no difference to our taxes. So frustration working with incompetence.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2018, 04:30 PM
    Hold on: All you need do is generate the 1099 for each of your siblings, then adjust the amount you claim on the tax software. That is NOT that hard to do, and you should be able to find someone in the tax profession who can handle it.

If you can find no one local, email me at [email protected] and I will take a look at it to see if I can do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-Tax, Roth, or After-Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Which 401(k) plan is the best? Could you please give me little pro/cons of each of them and which one might be best choice? I'm new to the 401(k) and don't want to make a bad decision. Thanks!

B Roth [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting done by B Roth and wanted to know more about it? It is on canvasand done in oil and the catalog number is 3933 I don't know when it was painted and I can send a picture if need be!

What taxes on inherited property at $17,000 value. Eight of us inherited it in Ga. [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom passed away and left her home and land to 8 of us. We sold it to one sister for the value of $ 17,000. Our Lawyer was of no help to us. What kind of taxes are we responsible for? This is in Georgia. Our Dad passed away in 2006. Mom passed in Aug. of 2009.

Roth ira [ 1 Answers ]

Can I transfer an ira from one investment company to another

Roth ira [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I not contributed to our Roth IRA this year, thinking we would be over the $160k/year MAGI income limit. We have now figured out that isn't going to happen. Our ~ MAGI will be about $148k. So, should we take money out of one of two mutal funds (VGIRX) we have been putting $100/month...

View more questions Search