Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iversonslady32 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Kitchen faucet water will not turn off!
    Hey... my faucet in the kitchen will not turn off, it's only happening on the hot side. I had to shut off main water valve to shut water off. Anyway to fix this? :confused:
    Fredonia2k Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2008, 05:21 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...et-173396.html
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Iversonlady32,
    Frist , there is probably a valve under the sink by which you can turn off the hot water to the sink faucet. You then can turn on the main water valve, so that you have water to the house.

Now, what type of kitchen sink faucet do you have, single lever or two knobs? Brand if you know.

Fredonia2k,

I don't understand your post. Your link takes me to Misscoops post, are you responding to Iversonlady's post, Miss coops post, or are you posting your own post.

Aug 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Iversonlady32,
    Frist , there is probably a valve under the sink by which you can turn off the hot water to the sink faucet. You then can turn on the main water valve, so that you have water to the house.

Now, what type of kitchen sink faucet do you have, single lever or two knobs? Brand if you know.

Fredonia2k,

I don't understand your post. Your link takes me to Misscoops post, are you responding to Iversonlady's post, Miss coops post, or are you posting your own post.

Hey! Thanks for the quick response and the idea to shut off just that valve... SO HELPFUL!! Unfortunately, I do not know the brand, or model of the sink, very old has been here since we moved years ago! :-) It is a two knob faucet.

Aug 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
    OK.
    Remove the screw holding the knob on. If you do not see a screw it is covered by a small cap in the center of the knob. Remove the cap with a sharp pointed tool, then remove the knob screw. If you have difficult removing the knob pry under one side then the other of the knob with a screwdriver. If its really stuck you may have to purchase a handle puller, shown below. After removing the knob, the next thing you see is the bonnet nut. That's the nut around the stem that the handle was on and holds the stem in. After removing the bonnet nut, put the knob back on the stem and unscrew the stem, just like you are turning the water on. After the stem stops rising up pull it out with a pair of pliers.

If you faucet is as old as you indicate it will be the compression washer type. Replace the washer on the end of th stem. These washers come in standard sizes, just take the washer to the store with you to get the correct size. If you have a newer type faucet you will have a cartridge type stem. Take it to the store for replacement. If the local Home Depot or Lowe's can't match it go to a plumbing supply. The people there are more likely to recognize it.

If you have the older type compression washer type you will probably need to replace the seat. The seat is the part that the washer presses against to shut off the water. For that you will need a seat wrench, also shown below. You put the wrench in the hole where the stem was and feel for it sliping into place in the seat. There are two ends on the seat wrench, one is several sizes of square the other end is hex shaped . If one doesn't work try the other. After removing the seat take it to HD, Lowe's, hardware store or plumbing supply for replacement. There is a thousand and one different sizes, shapes, and threads of seats. To put the seat back in you put it on the end of the seat wrench, put it back down the stem hole and screw it back in. The put the stem back in. After you have started the bonnet nut turn the stem to the open position, then tighten the bonnet nut. If the stem is in the closed position you won't be able to screw the bonnet nut all the way in. Tighten the bonnet nut until the stem feels a little tight as you turn it. If water leaks around the stem after you turn it back on, tighten the bonnet nut, a little at the time until leak stops.

Aug 27, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    OK.
    Remove the screw holding the knob on. If you do not see a screw it is covered by a small cap in the center of the knob. Remove the cap with a sharp pointed tool, then remove the knob screw. If you have difficult removing the knob pry under one side then the other of the knob with a screwdriver. If its really stuck you may have to purchase a handle puller, shown below. After removing the knob, the next thing you see is the bonnet nut. That's the nut around the stem that the handle was on and holds the stem in. After removing the bonnet nut, put the knob back on the stem and unscrew the stem, just like you are turning the water on. After the stem stops rising up pull it out with a pair of pliers.

If you faucet is as old as you indicate it will be the compression washer type. Replace the washer on the end of th stem. These washers come in standard sizes, just take the washer to the store with you to get the correct size. If you have a newer type faucet you will have a cartridge type stem. Take it to the store for replacement. If the local Home Depot or Lowes can't match it go to a plumbing supply. The people there are more likely to recognize it.

If you have the older type compression washer type you will probably need to replace the seat. The seat is the part that the washer presses against to shut off the water. For that you will need a seat wrench, also shown below. You put the wrench in the hole where the stem was and feel for it sliping into place in the seat. There are two ends on the seat wrench, one is several sizes of square the other end is hex shaped . If one doesn't work try the other. After removing the seat take it to HD, Lowes, hardware store or plumbing supply for replacement. There is a thousand and one different sizes, shapes, and threads of seats. To put the seat back in you put it on the end of the seat wrench, put it back down the stem hole and screw it back in. The put the stem back in. After you have started the bonnet nut turn the stem to the open position, then tighten the bonnet nut. If the stem is in the closed position you won't be able to screw the bonnet nut all the way in. Tighten the bonnet nut until the stem feels a little tight as you turn it. If water leaks around the stem after you turn it back on, tighten the bonnet nut, a little at the time until leak stops.

Thank you so much I will try that... question... Would it be easier to just replace the faucet. I mean the faucet is super old! Lol

Aug 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Not much more work, just the cost of the faucet. Sorry, forgot to post pics.
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
    I would like to add my two penis also, is it possible to post a picture of your faucet, and
    I would suggest to replace the faucet as Harold says it is not hard but the price, good luck.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 04:42 AM
    John... you keep your two penis' to yourself... :):):)

Penis... pence... pennies... cents..? Which one... I'm not sure here? You also talked of PP over at the price pfister faucet issue... hmmm..?

May want to edit your post there john... ;) I will edit mine later!

Have good day all...

MARK
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Mark thanks for letting me know, I am sorry guys, I was typing to fast, I meant pennies I appolagize for the miss spell and to let you know I don't have two, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John
    Rlkim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2018, 05:08 PM
    Can you show me a picture of the seat.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2018, 05:52 PM
    Note the OP was 10years ago,probably fixed by now. Look at the original posting date.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2018, 05:05 AM
    Rlkim, This is what seat looks like. You will need as Seat Wrench to take seats out. You can purchase both - the seats and wrench in Big Box stores.

However, I don't think kitchen faucets have seats. Kitchen faucets have O-rings, ceramic disks, stems, or cartridges. Chances are, you have a cartridge type faucet. If that is the case, buy new cartridge. It comes with all seals and O-rings already installed. You just take the old one out, and put new one in.

Hope that helps

Good luck !

Milo
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen faucet slow to turn off water [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed a new dishwasher and afterwards - the kitchen sink hot and/or cold water continues to run for a couple of seconds after turning the handle off. The only thing I changed was going from a 5 foot small cooper tubing to a 7 foot larger diameter hose. Could the longer length and...

Exterior Water Faucet will not turn. How do I get it to turn again. [ 2 Answers ]

I went to turn the water on in the back and it will not turn. How do I unlosen it? Thanks

Kitchen Sink Won't turn off at faucet [ 2 Answers ]

My Hot water just runs and runs... I shut it off at the valve under the kitchen sink last night. What would make that happen?? Is it a problem with my faucet or something more than that? Help me

Water is always hot when I turn on the faucet. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm used to living in places where the water in the pipes is always cold. In my current home, the water in the pipes is always hot. I have to literally turn on the cold water and let the hot water run out. Does anyone know what causes this? I'm concerned that I'm losing quite a bit of energy...

View more questions Search