Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jill2brooke Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Smelly shower drain
    WE have a shower stall, house in on slab 3 yrs old. Bathroom never smells "clean". Have traced it to shower drain, have tried bathrooms cleaners, bleach, and drain clogging liquid (even though drain functions fine). Will smell OK for a few days, then comes back. Grrrrr.
    What can I do?
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Apr 22, 2007, 03:03 PM
    2 questions, do you have septic or sewers? And do you have well or city water?

Apr 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
    New subdivision, multiple houses using common septic system and field. No there drains in house have a problem, only this one...

Apr 22, 2007, 03:18 PM
    We have city water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jill2brooke
    WE have a shower stall, house in on slab 3 yrs old. Bathroom never smells "clean". Have traced it to shower drain, have tried bathrooms cleaners, bleach, and drain clogging liquid (even though drain functions fine). Will smell ok for a few days, then comes back. Grrrrr.
    What can I do?

Have you removed the strainer and ran a snake down the drain line for about 10 or 15 feet. Most bad smells from lavatories,tubs and showers come from rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. If the chemicals don't remove the hair the smell will return. After snaking the drain flush the mess out with a bucket full of the hottest water you got. Let me know, Tom

Apr 22, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Thank You. Will be off in search of a snake to give it a try. Much appreciated, Jil

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly Shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

Please recommend how to stop the smell coming from the shower stall drain. The shower is located on the second floor. I have poured bleach down it and let it sit for about 30 minutes but the smell returns. I have read to use oxygenated bleach but I am not sure if this would work any better. ...

New basement shower is overflowing with smelly water.not sure if it is sewer. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there? The shower in my basement has been overflowing with smelly ?sewer? Or dirty water At least 3 times a week 8 months after it was built by a contractor. (we hardly used the shower since it was first built). It started probably once a week and is worse now. The city inspected and...

Smelly sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I tried the method of using bleach and hot water as directed but after three applications there is still a faint odor. Any other suggestions?

Smelly sink drain [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink has been giving off a bad smell for over a week. It smells more like dirt, not like sewage. We've cleaned it out in numerous ways and now the water drains fine. However, vinegar & baking soda (repeated treatments) and salt & a pot of boiling water, have not helped to get rid of...

Smelly shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi when I have a shower a smell like fish appears down stairs any idea ?

View more questions Search