Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thezman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2018, 11:07 PM
    How to insure rental property that's held by an LLC
    We own a house we live in and two rental properties. House's title is held by a revocable trust. Both rentals’ titles are held by an LLC. House insurance is in my wife and my names. One rental's insurance is in LLC's name and the other rental's in my wife and my names (have not switched to LLC yet). We have an umbrella policy that covers all three properties.

The problem: The umbrella policy application we completed says "Residential properties that are covered under a Commercial General Liability Policy or other non-personal Premises Liability Policy are excluded from coverage." The umbrella policy does not have such verbiage in it, only the application does.

Question: If we hold the insurance for the rentals in our names (husband and wife) instead of LLC's name so they are covered by the umbrella policy will we still have the LLC's protection?

Or should we just get another umbrella policy specifically for the LLC that holds the rentals?

Any help is much appreciated.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 13, 2018, 02:42 AM
    What does your LLC require? Is it a difficult thing to convert the insurance over? Is there a timetable to convert to the LLC? You should consult with your LLC for some clarity on this issue. Better yet the insurance carrier for the umbrella policy. It would seem you have a rental property covered under two insurance policies. Are your renters required to have their own liability insurance?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 13, 2018, 05:46 AM
    Why diont you consult with your insurance company on this? Assuredly they would give you the correct information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed property damage to rental property, got a settlement but never paid the [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant damaged a glass door, claims they did not do it but filed a claim against their renters insurance and got a settlement but never gave us the ,oney for the damaged door. Is this illegal

Deduct rental property expenses without rental income? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a condo that I used to live in but I no longer work in that city. I have been trying to rent it for almost a year but have not found a renter yet. Can I consider the condo as rental property and claim the expenses of owning it on my taxes, even though I do not have any rental income yet?...

Lien against property held in family trust [ 1 Answers ]

We have successfully won a small claims judgment and have been not been able to collect. Can we place a lien against real property held in a family trust?

Stored friends property/held property due to no payment [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a storage unit and allowed a friend to use the unit. Told the friend to remove property by a certain time. (all of this is verbal) The friend was supposed to pay half and never did. I closed the unit recently and they contacted me for return of their property threatened to file a police...

View more questions Search