Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommawind Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2017, 09:53 AM
    I live in Michigan. Will my inheritance from my mother be taxed?
    I am a Michigan resident and my mother recently passed away. I have been willed a 1/3 of her estate. There is a Discretionary Trust which was set up in 2010 while I was a resident in a Nursing Home. I have recently moved into independent living, but my mother could not get to her law office to change my trust status so I believe that it stands. Her financial advisor, however, called me yesterday and told me that my 1/3 of the life insurance and my 1/3 of the mutual funds will be sent to me directly in check form. Are either one of these taxable in any way? Thank you for your attention.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2017, 01:42 PM
    Apparently not. Read this link. Any investment gains after you receive the money will be taxable.
    Michigan Estate Taxes - 2017 Michigan Inheritance Taxes Guide
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2017, 01:00 AM
    I believe that, for sure, the LIEF Insurance proceeds will NOT be taxable.

The mutual fund investment gains MAY be taxable at the federal level, but probably. I would have to look at the trust instrumnet to be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance taxed? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm over 63 and received a good some of money from my mothers' estate how much (%) will I have to pay in taxes on that alone? Is Inheirance taxed in Florida? Do I get a break do to my age? Do I pay state tax on it here in FL? Thank you for your time with this matter. Tom

Taxed inheritance income from overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to pay taxes on taxed money coming in on a monthly base

How is inheritance taxed [ 1 Answers ]

Would there be inheritance tax on the house my grandmother is leaving me, if so how much would it be? The house is valued at $59,000 Thank You!

Are you taxed on inheritance of IRA's and CD's if you cash them out [ 1 Answers ]

Are you taxed on inheritance of IRA's and CD's in Ca or buy the feds if you cash them out

Inheritance taxed offshore? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Calif. US resident with UK citizenship. I'm inheriting $20k in the UK. Will it be taxed if I deposit it here in CA? If so, will it be taxed if I keep it in the UK or elsewhere offshore? Looking for best way to manage funds.

View more questions Search