Views: 392
Size:  860.7 KBName:  CIMG7911.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  2.33 MBName:  CIMG7912.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  2.27 MBName:  CIMG7925.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  943.3 KBHi,

I have a question about two back-to-back photos of famous paintings. The photos are on a double sided matte and the artists names and the subjects are on the captions. The matteis all one piece and cannot be removed without tearing it in half. My question is how can I find out if these photos are actually vintage photos or worthless prints. Does anyone know when these types of mattes and photos were made. One of the photos was on the cover of the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art Journal in the 20's. Also does anyone know how much they might be worth on Ebay.

Thanks ahead of time for the information,

Bob B
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 16, 2016, 10:21 AM
    The frames don't look old. The captions are hand lettered in a style I would guess might be 30s (before 1948, because that's when Wiles died). I don't think the famous one of the woman is a photo. Can't guess about the man.
    Take them to an art framer, and give permission to do some disassembly. But the framer might know instantly that they are just nice prints, and not worth much.
    On ebay, the shipping might be too much of the cost to be worth listing. A local consignment or antique shop would be better, even with a higher commission than ebay.

Irving Wiles lived a long life as a painter, 1861-1948.
    rebbooks Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2016, 09:41 AM
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information. I didn't look at my questions in a while so I'm sorry for being several weeks late to thank you.

Bob B
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2017, 05:03 PM
    Every larger city has an Auction House. Take your images there and ask for Photography Expert to help you authenticate, and price your photographs free of charge.

I don't think it is a good idea to go to the local antique store. There, owner may recognize the value of the print, downplay it, and hoping you sell it to him for few bucks

Don't sell until you know what you have

Irwing Wiles works sells for many thousands of dollars, so you want to make sure you know what exactly you are dealing with.

See some of the Wiles's work on auction here: www.invaluable.com

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability for sum = 3 with two dice (a 4-sided & a 6-sided) [ 4 Answers ]

I have two dice - one is 6-sided and the other is 4-sided. I throw the two dice. What is the probability of getting the sum 3 (I add the two results) I figure that the probability for 1 or 2 on the 4-sided dice is 50% = 1/2 and that the probability for 1 or 2 on the 6-sided dice is 33 1/3% =...

Famous Feline Paintings [ 0 Answers ]

Are there any famous paintings of cats? I'm interested in knowing and who the painters are?

Help with uploading photos to assist with my question for Ask Me [ 0 Answers ]

I have attempted to upload photos twice via the Want to Add an Attachment Option and failed both times the second time I resized them as I presumed they were just too large. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Vintage 1963 Bottle of Esportazione Red Tuscan Wine value question [ 2 Answers ]

At an Estate Sale, I recently bought a Vintage 1963 Bottle of Esportazione Red Tuscan Wine, Produced and Bottled in Italy by NELLO GORI. It's never been opened, and is green glass shaped almost like a Jeanie Bottle, but with a curved handle. Any value to this? Thanks!

View more questions Search