Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkerich Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2017, 05:44 AM
    Converting coax to Ethernet
    This is a question on how to split the coaxial cable into 5 or more Ethernet wires when wiring up you house. I am with Verizon and currently I used the wireless router to do this in the basement when I ran Ethernet/coax everywhere in the house. However, the duck work is blocking most of the wireless signal in the basement. I put in a hot spot box to work around the problem but Verizon on demand requires it to be connected to the Verizon router to work. What I want to do is replace the router in the basement with some other Ethernet splitting device so I can move the wireless router upstairs so the signal strength is strong but I am not sure if this can event be done.

1. Do you have to use the Verizon router to convert the coax to Ethernet? I have seen online 1 coax in and 1 Ethernet out boxes for sell, but my brother thinks the Verizon router is “decoding” something so only Verizon equipment would work for the conversion process. Is this correct?
    2. I was thinking of buying the 1 coax in – 1 Ethernet out box and then run it into a splitter so that I would have enough Ethernet outputs to plug in all my wires. Is this ok, or can I buy a box that had 4 or 5 Ethernet outputs already? I.E. something like the router but without the wireless.
    3. My Brother thinks that there are 1 or more Ethernet plugs inside the Verizon box outside the house that I can plug into. When they installed FIOS they just plugged in the old Comcast coax wires and ran no Ethernet wires at all into the house. I haven’t tried to open it because I don’t want Verizon complaining about messing with their stuff and I might break something. So is this correct? And is this the right way to do it? If so, can I plug in the Ethernet wire(s) myself or do I need Verizon to do it?

I called Verizon but their online tech support is zero for these types of questions. My current setup is working OK, but I really want the router out of the basement so I can get a strong signal for all the on demand stuff and also run some more Ethernet wires in the future (which means more output plugs).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 16, 2017, 08:31 AM
    Trying to get out of paying for additional set top boxes are you? Dude your ethereal is only for internet connections and has nothing to do with your TV, unless you have a smart TV that requires internet connection (Netflix, VUDU). Any outside router will have to be configured to the Verizon cable service, and unless you have a package that allows for this enhanced service you are out of luck and basically stealing their services.

A cable set top box is required for each TV to get any enhanced service PERIOD. See these instructions.

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Resi...sone/84832.htm

TV: FiOS TV is compatible with all TV types. A cable-ready TV tuner gives you reception of local service below channels 49. To take advantage of the FiOS TV Digital Video Recorder (DVR) service, a TV must have a video and audio input. The input can be the typical yellow, white and red cables, a 3 wire component, or an S-Video along with audio cables. High Definition (HDTV) service requires an HDTV, an HD Set-Top Box, and HDMI or DVI cables with an adapter.
    Home wiring: Verizon FiOS TV requires coaxial cable to connect from the FiOS Optical Network Terminal on the outside of your home to your TV or Set-Top Box.

Set-Top Box: To receive digital programming, premium channels, the Interactive Media Guide or On Demand programming, a Set-Top Box is required. We offer three types of Set-Top Boxes:
    • High Definition (HD) - provides digital audio and video quality. It gives you access to the FiOS TV Interactive Media Guide, access to over 45 all-digital music channels, and lets you order Pay-Per-View or On Demand shows where available and provides access to HD content.
    • Multi-Room HD DVR - record and share programs across multiple TVs.
    • Digital Video Recorder (DVR) - provides all the features of the High Definition Set-Top Box and lets you pause and rewind live TV as well as record one show while watching another.

Read the whole thing and its no wonder Verizon techs cannot aid you in stealing services from them.

It is illegal to tamper with the outside cable station and considered theft of service to do so. So to answer your questions yes let Verizon hook you up for quality service. They will even solve your wireless issues for you. That's better than spending big bucks for wires and routers that still must be correctly configured from the cable network service station, with the help of a Verizon tech. Simply they won't do it.

Your ethereal connections are for computer internet access from your wireless router, or direct from router to a the computer, smart TV (You must have service contract already with those streaming providers). TV is coaxial to either a set box, or direct from the outside station to the TV for BASIC cable services as per instructions above.

Oct 16, 2017, 09:43 AM
    You seem to be confused on what I am trying to do. I have internet and cable already with Verizon and I am not talking about cable coax at all or TV stuff. This is to connect their setup with my internal Ethernet wiring without using the Verizon router in the basement so I can move it upstairs. As for the outside box I am referring to the box connected to the side of my house where they have connected the coax cables that are going into the house. I am not referring to Verizon boxes in the common areas or trying to "steal" anything. If this was a new pre-wired house, I know for a fact that Verizon just connects to the house's intern coax/Ethernet hub to the outside box and runs nothing inside the house at all.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2017, 11:20 AM
    You do NOT have to hook up to the ONT (Outside Network Box). Just use a simple ethereal splitter from the router. Notice they start at 5 and go way up to as many as you may need.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ether...erent+splitter

Or simply split your coax from you TV source. Here are some wiring techniques that may help you

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...able-tv-wiring

https://www.groundedreason.com/use-r...fios-internet/

This is some interesting reading directly related to your issue, please note the device configurations.

Can I connect a moca adapter directly to a verizon fios ont box? - [Solved] - Networking

This is a great explanation for GEEKS,

https://marco.org/2011/01/15/how-to-...uter-with-fios

Let me know if any of this has helped.

PS

Wiring the ONT takes a special ethereal cable AND Tools. (Cat5)

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrica...Zc5a2Z1z0uk5l?
    NCNI-5&searchRedirect=cat5e+cable&semanticToken=21040++ +%3E++++st%3A%7Bcat
    5e+cable%7D%3Ast++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++cable+%7Bprodu ct%7D+cat5e+%7Brest%7
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2017, 05:50 AM
    You NEED the FIOS router to use the FIOS services, the set top boxes need to communicate with that to work, Unplug the router and a lot of stuff stops working or being updated. First hand experience. You can however take one or more of the Ethernet ports and hook that to your personal router for all your in house stuff, depending on how you set things up, you may or may not have to set the FIOS router as a pass-through. Just turn the WIFI radio OFF in their router, and use your own placed wherever you want. I do this.

The Coax connection is a WAN connection, your Ethernet connections are LAN connections.

For a reference..I still have the OLD style ONT..I've had this setup that long. (over a decade)

Oct 18, 2017, 11:23 AM
    Reading the articles, it seems that the ONT box either is set to coax or Ethernet and it does not support both at the same time and your Ethernet has to start at the Verizon router if you are set to coax mode. If that is correct then there is no way to move the router upstairs and connect it to the coax outlet and have the Ethernet wires go directly into the ONT box. If correct then the only way to fix the WIFI is to add a relay box to boost the router signal or attach a second Verizon router upstairs to the coax outlet so that I get a strong WIFI signal throughout the house. I have an old Verizon router that doesn't support encryption, but since it’s only going to be used for the Verizon on demand stuff it should be OK, but I don't think it’s going to work with the current Verizon router because of IP conflicts. I will have to talk to the Verizon people again and see what they have to say. There is a service store that I can go to that might actually understand their hardware setup.
    Expert

Oct 18, 2017, 12:58 PM
    My service store is very close, but I still schedule techs to come out, and deal with issues I have... so far at no charge. I think a coax splitter would allow you to move your box anywhere in the house, since you have wired it with both coax and ethereal. Check out these suggestions.

https://www.wikihow.com/Improve-WiFi-Reception

Place your router to maximize effectiveness. Where you place your router has a lot to do with how it performs. When placing a router, consider putting it:
    • Near the center of the house, on a top floor. Radio waves best travel down and laterally.[SIZE=2][COLOR=#336633][1][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    • Off the floor, ideally on a wall mount or high shelf.[SIZE=2][COLOR=#336633][2][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    • As far as possible from your neighbor's WiFi router (which, of course, you've made sure is using a different channel).
    • Away from cordless phones and microwaves, which operate on the same 2.4-GHz frequency. (There are some cordless phones that are WiFi friendly).
    • Away from power cords, computer wires, microwaves, baby monitors, and halogen lamps.[SIZE=2][COLOR=#336633][3][/COLOR][/SIZE] These wires and waves can interfere with radio reception.

Oct 20, 2017, 07:27 AM
    I talked to the Verizon tech support and this is what they said about how to wire up your house.

1. If the house is already wired up they would install a panel were all your coax and Ethernet plugs connect. The Verizon router is then connected to the panel and then the Verizon router is then connected to the outside box either by coax or Ethernet (i.e. cat 6 or better cable). The outside box can only support one type of wire so it’s either coax or Ethernet into the router.
    2. The Verizon on demand stuff does NOT use WIFI. It comes over the coax cable. Cable TV must use coax; Ethernet is only for data, not Verizon cable TV.
    3. If your Verizon WIFI signal is weak you can buy a Moca type repeater or a Verizon repeater ($100 at this time) and connect it to the coax cable. If you have Ethernet, you can connect a hot spot type box and connect it to an Ethernet outlet to get a strong signal in the house (I am using Netgear for $50).
    4. A Moca router can be used for Ethernet from the outside box; but than your TV cable will not work (I think that’s what he said if you didn't use their Verizon router).

So my current setup is OK since the Verizon WIFI is not needed for the on demand stuff which which started all this.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2017, 08:38 AM
    Do you have at least ONE Verizon set box? You won't get around needing at least ONE set top box for ON DEMAND from Verizon. Even if you split one set box to two TVs, it won't be independently two tvs, it will be two TVs with the same picture. Do you indeed have ONE set top box?

That's all you need if there is no haggling over who watches what.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting coax TV cable [ 5 Answers ]

I have to connect a coaxial TV cable to a TV set with only a 75 Ohm antenna input and RCA audio/video inputs. What is the simplest way to get this done? Are there coaxial cable - to - antenna input or coaxial - to - RCA (three inputs) adapters? Would appreciate any suggestion, H.

Coax in and out on dvd/vcr [ 7 Answers ]

I work 2nd shift so I have 3 dvd/vcrs daisy chained to my TV, all with the old fashioned coax in and out connections. They are old and starting to malfunction. I know I need tuners with anything new I buy, but I don't know how to tell if they have coax in and out from the specs I read on the site...

Connecting coax cable [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an older (made in 1994) Hitachi model #50EX6K 60" front projector TV and when I connect the main coax cable to the port on the back, I only receive basic channels (ch.3 - ch. 13). When I change the channel to a cable channel, example: ch. 32, the picture is nothing but snow and all you...

DVD/VCR Combo without Coax input? [ 4 Answers ]

My old VCR died. I'm in the market for a DVD/VCR Combo. Both salesmen I talked to today said that regular DVD/VCR Combo units are no longer made with Coax input, and that the only way I can use the VCR to tape is if I have Digital Cable with a cable box or satellite TV. When I asked if they had...

View more questions Search