Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony t Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2005, 07:34 PM
    Moisture barrier under cement board in shower
    Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a silicone sealant is used between the membrane and the backer board. There is no mention of brand of sealant, and it doesn't seem they sell it. This is a first for me, and I'd like to learn (from an impartial third party) if this is standard practice.

Thank you

Tony Tammer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tony t
    Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a silicone sealant is used between the membrane and the backer board. There is no mention of brand of sealant, and it doesn't seem they sell it. This is a first for me, and I'd like to learn (from an impartial third party) if this is standard practice.

Thank you

Tony Tammer
    Hi Tony,
    I waited for another expert to jump in as I just pipe in drainage and water and don't build the shower floor or enclosure.
    Here's a link that may take some of the mystery out of it. Click on;
    http://www.compotite.com/skyblue.html
    To see diagrams and instructions. Good luck, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Yes a moisture barrier is recommended and if you are putting in a shower pan I believe you should run the barrier inside the shower pan liner.

Check johnbridge.com and the forums there. They have some people that really know shower stalls over there.

Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2005, 08:56 PM
    Just to make sure... you said under?? Are you putting the backer board on the floor of the shower?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower on cement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a shower to our basement, the plumbing is not there. How do I put the shower plumbing in? Do I have to cut into the main pipe for the shower? Do I have to cut into the cement, or can the plumbing be installed above the cement? Thanks

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Can I Paint over Cement Board? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are installing (or reinstalling, actually) a shower in the basement. I am tiling the walls and floor, but I don't want to tile the ceiling. Can we use some of the left-over cement backerboard for the ceiling and paint it? I'd rather use the cement board because of it's water...

Drain for shower on cement slab [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower that was installed on a cement slab. I will probably be using noble company products for the liner etc.. However I need some guidance on the install of drain system. Attached are some pictures of the existing situation... can anyone help suggest something. On some other...

View more questions Search