Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etanner Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Minka Aire Fan Wiring
    Please help - I'm beside myself on this one having spent pretty much all day with no luck! I apologize this is long but I guess for someone to help I need to be specific.

I'm replacing a Hunter fan with a Minka Aire Cobra. The Hunter fan was wired to a single flip wall switch that basically stayed on all the time. The fan and lights were run solely from the remote control that could be mounted on the wall or carried around. Basically, we never switched it off from the wall, the remote would do everything.

I'm putting in a Minka Aire Cobra with a wall mounted (wired) control that does everything from the wall. I plan to buy a hand-held remote for it later.

I've hung and wired the fan - white/white and black/black from the ceiling to the receiver. Then from the receiver, I've connected white/white, black/black and blue/blue to the fan. Grounded green to bare wire. I also have a red up there that was capped off and tucked inside. I left it like that as I understand that wire would be to control the light if I did not have a remote system. They didn't use it on the Hunter either.

In the box on the wall I have a red, white and black (and a bare wire for ground). The new switch/remote has two black wires coming out of it - one labeled "to fan" and the other labeled "to power supply". So, I wired it black/black (to power supply) and red/black (to fan). The white I left capped (as they had it) and tucked inside.

IT WON'T WORK!!

I then tried switching it around black/black (to fan) and red/black (to power supply). No luck. I've tried other configurations as well with no luck. From the fan, if I wire black to black and white to white without going through the receiver, the fan starts up. I didn't try the red to blue to try the light but assume it would work if I did as the wire is live. I've tried putting back in the original on/off switch to see if I could just turn the damned thing on - no luck. I'm getting desperate at this point.

I've gone through the directions a dozen times, as has my husband, and we can't seem to figure out the problem. I spent an hour on the phone with my father (who is a contractor and has installed probably a hundred fans) and he can't seem to tell me what the problem might be. If the red wire is capped in the ceiling, what completes the circuit? In huge bold letters on the remote (both wires) it says "DO NOT CONNECT TO NEUTRAL WHITE WIRE". Both my husband and father say I have to use the white in order to complete the circuit. I also read a few other postings where this was suggested and was the solution. I only slightly touched the black (from remote labeled "to fan") to the white and it popped - not good sounding. I can only hope I didn't fry the remote. I'm not thinking that is the solution.

PLEASE HELP!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Be sure the codes on both units are the same.
    You should have been able to replace switch with new control, Hot need to go to In on Wall fan control. At fan, use the 2 wires that were used before.
    At the receiver, the black and white is power in from controller.
    Out of receiver to fan wiring is: Black to black, black/white to black/white or blue(light).
    The white only goes to fan white, NOT with supply white.
    The POP is not a good sign. Hook up correctly, and verify.
    Once you get it, remember code you used, so you can match when you get the handheld remote. Good Luck.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Wire the fan without the receiver and wire the old single wall switch as it was originally wired with the Hunter fan. Does the wall switch turn the fan/light on and off?

Nov 15, 2007, 04:07 PM
    No, it wouldn't work when I did that. I can't get the on-off switch to work at all which is odd since I wired it back just as I had taken it out. Grounded and the red and black wires in. I also reversed it just to make sure.? One thing I did notice - when I wired it up (the regular on/off switch) , the entire unit became HOT. I shocked the s#@& out of myself when I just grabbed the end of it to turn it around - no where near the screws or wires. Is that not odd?

What I ended up doing was going to the other Minka fan I had ordered and took that remote out to test the receiver. However, (to my surprise) the other fan had a HAND HELD remote and NOT a wall mount/wired unit which is what I have been trying to install with no luck. The original receiver worked perfectly with the hand-held remote so no problems with my connections on the ceiling or with the receiver. The problem then lies in the wall or maybe the wall remote unit. My solution - I capped all the wall wires, tucked them inside the box and mounted the hand-held remote there. We now contol it all via the hand-held remote - which is actually what I wanted in the first place since it is the bedroom. I will try the wall unit with the other fan (dare I attempt another one) when I install it in the office.

I would still LOVE to figure out the problem because, no doubt, I will encounter it again when I go to install this other fan using the wall remote unit.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Oh wait - was the red and black into the switch NOT a good idea since they were both hot? Should I have used the black and white - NOT the red? UGH.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I suspect the problem was, the red wire was controlled by the switch, and the black wire was a constant hot. You should have connected the receiver to red and white in the ceiling, and capped off the black.

Nov 15, 2007, 09:54 PM
    That would be one configuration we did not try. Though I believe my husband mentioned that but I didn't do it because I already had the new hand-held remote working and was happy with that. But thank you, I need to remember that because I will be braving putting on the office fan soon.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 05:37 AM
    If you have an old bulb socket and bulb, use to test switching.
    Since you have 2 units to work with, you could mix and match to determine defective parts. Make sure all the codes match during testing.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure nothing is defective.
    cia2a629 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2016, 09:19 AM
    Yes, and cap off the red. The red was originally to the blue wire on the fan for the light. Using the remote, the blue receiver to blue fan control the light and the red is no longer necessary
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2016, 09:30 AM
    Hello, please check the date of an item before responding. This item is more than 9 years old!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring inline duct fan to furnace fan goodman gmp100-4 [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire my inline duct fan to my Goodman model gmp100-4 gas furnace fan so that the inline duct fan comes on and off when the furnace fan does? I understand that I need a relay from the inline duct fan but don't know where to connect the relay to the furnace.

Wiring minka aire fan [ 1 Answers ]

Wiring the fan 12/2 w ground Black to Black and White to White this is correct?? Now the fan has a blue and I don't know what to do with it... only using one switch can you help me?

Ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a remote. My home is brand new and I had the rooms wired for future ceiling fan installation. The existing lights operate on a dimmer switch. There is a toggle switch that is for the future fan installation. When I removed the existing light...

Help with fan wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hampton Bay Ceiling Fan, they switch for the fan has broken. I am trying to replace the fan switch, and not sure what color wires go into the spaces on the new switch. I have a black wire, purple wire, orange wire and a yellow wire. The spaces on the new switch are labeled L. 1,2,3. ...

Minka aire as a replacement wiring question [ 7 Answers ]

My question relates to a minka aire ceiling fan that I just installed to replace another ceiling fan. The old fan had two switches on the wall that controlled the light and the fan. The new fan came with a transmitter switch that is supposed to control the fan and light. I removed the old...

View more questions Search