Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssteel32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2016, 12:17 PM
    How do I approach employers after 4 years off work due to severe physical abuse?
    I was a successful business-woman in Edinburgh, Scotland but in 2012 my fiancé tried to kill me (the details are literally like a horror movie... being driven out to nowhere in the dark, rapid river sound when he tried to crush my head on the center console with his knees and whole body weight.). I lost my job as a Recruitment Consultant because I looked half dead and couldn't see my Candidates. I became homeless, vulnerable and sought government benefits to get by. During that time, another homeless person in the same hostel I had to live in beat me, whilst I was on the ground, breaking my left arm on which I've had multiple surgeries involving varying sizes of metal plates and screws and hip-grafts to insert at the break. The last assault was two years ago and, although I'm awaiting another surgery, it's time to move on.

So, here's the question: How on God's green Earth do I write a cover letter explaining I'm only capable of limited work, only part-time and am awaiting another surgery after such horrid abuse after 4 years out of work?

I used to help write peoples' CVs and cover letters but not like this. I can't find anything relevant on the internet about this - maybe it's too uncomfortable or maybe too unusual but please, if anyone has any good advice, I'd be so happy to hear from you.

Many, many thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 01:37 PM
    Have you thought about places to work that will accept you part time and with physical limitations? In the US, public libraries would be a good possibility. Or morning hostess and coffee server at a restaurant.

Please post again. I'll be glad to help you more with this.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 04:33 PM
    The trick is to look only for part time work that you're capable of doing. Look for employers that only want to hire part time.

I'm very sorry for what you went through, and so glad you survived, but sadly, employers won't care about any of it. They're looking for a solid employee, someone they can rely on, someone that will be there long term and work hard.

I wouldn't mention your past unless they specifically ask, and if they do, I'd give them the short version. Instead of focusing on what you can't do, focus on what you can, and sell yourself on your assets and abilities, not your disabilities.

Truth told, in all of my years of work I've never written a cover letter. Most employers don't even bother to read it. Focus on your resume, highlight everything you're good at, and post reliable references. Forget the cover letter unless you're going for a high profile job in an office where a college education is needed. Having said that, those offices rarely hire part time and won't even look at you until you can work full time. You're mainly going to be looking for retail jobs, or receptionist jobs, places that are willing to hire part time.

You may also want to look for work at home. They're few and far between, but there are jobs out there that are legitimate.

Good luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 27, 2016, 01:25 PM
    There really do have to be omissions and little lies on resumes sometimes, and this is a good example.
    Your abuse becomes an accident. You have spent 4 years recovering from an accident, and it isn't even much of a lie. The accident is that you were engaged to the man who first beat you, and the second one is an accident of slipping through the cracks of social services, and being homeless. But say nothing past 'I was in an accident.'
    ONLY mention any limitations of motion and endurance. Don't mention any future surgery. You can say all this in two sentences.

Substitute teaching? You don't even have to work every day. Just be willing to get a robocall at some really, really early hour in the morning. Such jobs are rarely advertised.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a person be so abnormal to physical abuse,and sexually abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

My,cousin was missing for 2 yrs. And was on crystal meth for a long time but,she also was mentally abused,and most likely sexually abused.She is not the same anymore she lost her self being,and is always wanting sex,she steals,lies,and agrees to everything,she doesn't know who she really is...

Severe Childhood sexual abuse [ 5 Answers ]

In Canada, how does one go about reporting severe childhood sexual abuse that took place 40 years ago... I'm not sure charges can be laid, or even if this man can be found or is even alive, I've tried looking, reaching out to classmates from high school who knew the family, but the wall seems to...

Sexual, verbal and physical abuse [ 4 Answers ]

I was married and my husband physically, sexually and verbally abused me. I charged him once with physical abuse and ended up being so scared he would kill me that I changed my plea and he got off. I suffered two years of traumatic stress and it has affected my life negatively probably forever, I...

Physical abuse [ 6 Answers ]

I got violent with my pregnant girlfriend,I'm so ashamed,I grabbed her by the throat,I've bin violent on 6 or 7 times over our 2 year relationship,never punches just grabs and pushs,odd kix,does this mean I have a problem and need help or is it just a case of 2 people that shudnt be 2getha but...

Information about other than physical abuse [ 5 Answers ]

I do not know if this is criminal law. I would like to know if there is any justice for a person who has been emotionally, mentally, and sexually abused. The only evidence I have at the moment is another person who can testify to the same abuse and maybe a relative of hers. Mental abuse and the...

View more questions Search