Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcgehee75 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
    How to thaw a frozen drain pipe?
    My cabin is on a slab. The drain is connected to the bath tub and is not accessible. The pipe is not buried below the frost line. Does anti-freeze work to melt it? Should I try boiling hot water because that has not worked yet? Should I try a hairdryer? How about a plumber's tool to thaw it out?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Hi Mcgehee75:

Pretty rare for a tub on a slab to have the drain freeze. Usually this is also associated with frozen pipes... is that the case here? Are the pipes on an outside wall? If they are not I'm skeptical here...

Have you tried to snake the drain line yet? How about plunging the drain line?

If you want to try the plunger, fill the tub with an inch or so of warm water, then remove the face plate and trip lever assembly (pic. #1) and stick a wetted rag into the pipe behind the tub (pic.#2)... now plunge at that drain and see what happens.

If that fails to clear the blockage then you may want to try to snake the drain line as in picture #3.

Finally, if this is not a clogged drain and the ptrap under the tub is actually frozen then the best bet to clear the drain will be to keep pouring hot water into the drain, but only pour enough to just fill to the strainer in the tub... then use a turkey baster or a wet vac. To suck the water out after it cools, then repeat this until water starts to flow. Once water starts to flow turn on the hot water in tub to finish the job.

Let me know how you make out... ok?

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Mcgehee75:

Pretty rare for a tub on a slab to have the drain freeze. Usually this is also associated with frozen pipes...is that the case here? Are the pipes on an outside wall? If they are not I'm skeptical here...

Have you tried to snake the drain line yet? How about plunging the drain line?

If you want to try the plunger, fill the tub with an inch or so of warm water, then remove the face plate and trip lever assembly (pic. #1) and stick a wetted rag into the pipe behind the tub (pic.#2)...now plunge at that drain and see what happens.

If that fails to clear the blockage then you may want to try to snake the drain line as in picture #3.

Finally, if this is not a clogged drain and the ptrap under the tub is actually frozen then the best bet to clear the drain willbe to keep pouring hot water into the drain, but only pour enough to just fill to the strainer in the tub...then use a turkey baster or a wet vac. to suck the water out after it cools, then repeat this until water starts to flow. Once water starts to flow turn on the hot water in tub to finish the job.

Let me know how you make out...ok?

MARK

Pipes are frozen and on outside wall. I tried plunger but did not use a rag to cover the overflow valve. Did not try proper snaking yet. Did try pouring hot water down drain but did not clear it out after it cooled. Anyway, does anti-freeze help melt the ice or is windshield wiper fluid better? I usually use the anti-freeze to keep the pipes from freezing but did not put enough in last time. Is that effective means? How about a narrow tube that you can snake in the system and run hot water through?

Thanks much for your professional tips.

Don
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:10 PM
    None of those will beat very hot water and sucking it out as it becomes warm... ;)

Try the water with quick removal...

Let me know.

Feb 2, 2009, 06:17 PM

Okay, sounds reasonable to me. I will let you know how that goes. The only thing I didn't do is get all the water out after pouring the hot boiling water in. I'm in Northern Michigan, Burt Lake, and it gets very cold.

Thanks again and I will let you know.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
    *crossing fingers*.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Feb 2, 2009, 06:50 PM
    If you are still experiencing the problem, and following the advice given so far has been unsuccessful, I have to ask... Do you have iron pipes?

If not, make a heavy salt solution (gallon of water, bring to boil, pour salt in until it no longer dissolves), and pour solution into drain. Temperature is not important for anything other than dissolving the salt.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2009, 07:28 AM
    make a heavy salt solution (gallon of water, bring to boil, pour salt in until it no longer dissolves), and pour solution into drain. Temperature is not important for anything other than dissolving the salt.
    Try this and get back to us with the results. Good luck, Tom

Feb 8, 2009, 05:34 PM

I will try the salt and gallon boil solution and let you know.
    davesoroka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2016, 02:28 PM
    Did the salt water work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I thaw frozen pipes in a wall? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a frozen pipe in a wall. The pipe goes from the basement to the 2nd floor How do I thaw it without tearing the wall out?

Frozen outside toilet drain pipe. [ 1 Answers ]

My house is on the mountain slope and is supported with wooden stilts 3 to 8 feet high. My toilet drain pipe is exposed and about 3 feet of this 3 inch drain pipe were not insulated. We had a freeze blast and the drain pipe froze.. What should I do? The toilet bowl cracked and I have to remove it....

Did I thaw the frozen chicken 'right' or should I toss it? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so my question is about thawing frozen food. I purchased some boneless/skinless chicken thighs. It said use or freeze by 7/4/08. I had it in the fridge for a few days until the listed 'deadline' came up. I was going to use it before then but didn't after all. So on the 4th I put the package in...

Frozen Underground Drain Pipe [ 0 Answers ]

How can I defrost a frozen drain under my driveway? I know for sure its frozen, it freezes every year when the temp if below zero. It's a 4" pvc pipe I put in for the furnace condensate and floor drain unto the creek

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

View more questions Search