Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgastee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Maytag MDG9700AWW, gas dryer, no heat...
    Hello, 1st post here,. I have a 5yr Maytag Neptune MDG9700AWW gas dryer that does not heat up. Vents are clean. I opened the front panel today to check and clean for lint. Then I powered up the dryer; the glow plug turned red, then the gas ignited. After about 7-8 seconds, the gas shuts off. I ran the test with the doors off the dryer. Thank you in advance...
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 01:57 PM

tgastee, did you find the vent clogged up? If you did, did you try to dry a load of clothes after cleaning the vent? Before removing the cabinet? Here's a manual that might help with the problem. http://repair2000.com/Library/Gas%20Burners.pdf

You can also order the necessary parts at this site.

Feb 8, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Thanks parttime... the vent was not clogged up. After cleaning the vent the first time, I dried a new load, but to the same results. Still not dry enough.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 04:49 PM

Are you going to attempt the repairs yourself? Do you own a volt/Ohm meter and know how to use it?

Feb 8, 2010, 07:49 PM

@ parttime... yes, I own a voltmeter and I know how to use it. Where do I start?
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:00 AM

The first thing I woud do it pull it from wall, un-hook the vent and with a load of wet clothes try a cycle (cabinet must be in place) this eliminates vent prob, the biggest cause of this. Let me know what happens.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:15 AM
    No results? Next you need to check for 110 volts at the burner assembly

Be very careful here, power can and will kill or maim
    Attached Images

Feb 10, 2010, 09:34 AM

@parttime... I tried a load last night. Setting was Sensor Dry - Regular. For the first 5 minutes, heat was on; then off after. Let the dryer run for 30 minutes, then changed setting to Time Dry for another 40 minutes. Time Dry setting worked! Got the clothes dry but closed to 2 hrs... I'll check for power as illustrated in post # 7 this weekend. Thanks again...
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 09:44 AM

Tgastee, was this test performed with the vent unhooked and the cabinet completely on? Very important, high limit switch will kill gas flow with bad airflow or having the cabinet off. Let me know. Sounds more like something blocking air flow. Good luck
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Tgastee, might help more looking at this manual, first few chapter, meter use and tool info you may skip, lots of good info to read.

http://www.appliancerepair.net/apnet...dryer/ch01.htm
    MBrando633gold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 10:10 AM
    Having a similar problem with my MDG9700AWW. I had to replace the motor earlier this year and while I was cleaning out the dust and lint, I discovered a small rectangular piece of glass lying on the bottom the dryer. I looked I noticed a small gap between the flame sensor and the mounting bracket. The gap was perfect for the piece of glass. My guess is that the glass fell out during manufacturing or shipping. Could the missing glass cut the effective life time of that sensor as it is exposed directly to the heat of the heating element and flame?
    cntroes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2015, 12:00 PM
    Does anyone have a video showing how to remove the cabinet to gain access to parts that need to be tested on this model?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2015, 05:55 PM
    Look on You Tube, there are plenty of videos.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2015, 05:33 AM
    It may look clean where you have the filter, but you go by age and the amount of clothes you launder. When it gets dirty the sensors will not know how hot it is in the air since the sides of the duct where they are attached are insulated with a layer of concrete-like (and very flammable) lint deposits. You will have to clean the drier out thoroughly. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which are like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time. For a video to help, look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4 to see how. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBiRw-KElC4 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTZGgVisCI
    When you finish cleaning the drier it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it again, and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it. Also, you need to lubricate the bearings with white lithium grease. EVERY bearing you find should be lubricated. That means the support rollers and the center drum bearing, if it has one.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does little good. When you are done you will have a new dryer and it will dry like new again. You want to clean it like this every two years or every year with many children.
    On a gas dryer you may want to clean the flame rod with some fine sandpaper. It’s a small platinum rod that looks like a spark plug and proves the pilot light is lit. It takes a few seconds to do, but will save you trouble later. Good luck and attached are some manuals: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Equipment.zip
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...g%20Dryers.zip

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Gas dryer will not heat up [ 1 Answers ]

Maytag Atlantis gas dryer will tumble but not heat up. The gas is on. No kink in gas line. My other gas appliances are working fine.

My Maytag gas dryer does not heat up [ 1 Answers ]

My Maytag gas dryer does not heat up enough to dry the clothes, when I turn it on it feels like its getting hot inside, but after I check on it 10 minutes later it doesn't fell that warm anymore.

Dryer Maytag Gas Heat Does Not Work [ 1 Answers ]

It's a Maytag gas dryer #LDG7304AAE. I replaced the belt. When I put is back on, the heat does not work. Gas line is open, vent is open, blower works. Timer works And I did run it for 10 minutes in the hope it might start up later. No success.:confused:

Maytag gas dryer heat shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

My Maytag gas dryer, model DG412 starts normally when cold. After about 20 minutes, the burner shuts down while the drum continues to turn. The burner will not re-light until the dryer has cooled down for a few minutes. The longer it cools before re-lighting, the longer it runs before shutting...

View more questions Search