Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TArnold123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Sewer Gas Smell
    We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The last couple of days now, I am noticing the smell in there all the time and it seems to be getting stronger. We have a mechanical treatment type sewer system with an aerator pump and I called the installer first but they said it's not a problem with the sewer system and that we should contact a plumber. After reading old threads I did run water in that drain but it doesn't seem to help. I now seem to be noticing the smell in the sink of that bathroom, too. Any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TArnold123
    We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The last couple of days now, I am noticing the smell in there all the time and it seems to be getting stronger. We have a mechanical treatment type sewer system with an aerator pump and I called the installer first but they said it's not a problem with the sewer system and that we should contact a plumber. After reading old threads I did run water in that drain but it doesn't seem to help. I now seem to be noticing the smell in the sink of that bathroom, too. Any suggestions?

Sewer gas can only get past a trap if;
    (1) The trap seal is reduced down to where sewer gas escapes, or
    (2) You have a partial blockage and when you discharge a toilet the liquid hits the clog and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead that belches out of a fixture trap.
    My bet's on door #2. Snake the lavatory vent from the roof, put out enough cable to get out of the bathroom and then run a hose down the vent to flush the line out. If that fails then snake out the shower from the drain and get all the rotting hair and grease cleared out. Then pour a 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush the line out with 2 large pans of boiling water, (this is important) The bleach will start to eat the hair up and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the entire mess out into the main. Good luck, Tom
    RIRED Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TArnold123
    Were you ever able to figure out the problem - I have the same issue. Thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
    When you flush toilet - the sewer system sucks air in. It doesn't push it out. Look for the source of the smell problem somewhere else - like dry traps, bacteria inside your shower drain, open plumbing vent pipe,. etc.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RIRED
    Were you ever able to figure out the problem - I have the same issue. Thanks
    Did you read and follow my earlier post?
    Sewer gas can only get past a trap if;
    (1) The trap seal is reduced down to where sewer gas escapes, or
    (2) You have a partial blockage and when you discharge a toilet the liquid hits the clog and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead that belches out of a fixture trap.
    My bet's on door #2. Snake the lavatory vent from the roof, put out enough cable to get out of the bathroom and then run a hose down the vent to flush the line out. If that fails then snake out the shower from the drain and get all the rotting hair and grease cleared out. Then pour a 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush the line out with 2 large pans of boiling water, (this is important) The bleach will start to eat the hair up and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the entire mess out into the main. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell When Windy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new to this board and hope this makes sense. I live in a newer house (7 years old). There is a toilet in the basement. When it is windy outside, there is a septic smell coming from that toilet area. This toilet drains into an ejector pump that goes out to the septic tank. It...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

A sewer smell started coming from the bathroom sink drain. I put bleach down it and its OK for a few hours and then its back. Could my vent pipe on the roof be clogged? Help!

How to get sewer smell out of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell coming from the basement for 10 days because the trap in the drain in our 'rough in' bathroom dried up, now that it is fixed, how can we get the smell out of the walls and carpet and sofa? HELP!! Thanks for any advice:confused:

Sewer Smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell. Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the...

Sewer smell [ 2 Answers ]

Oh Lord, I live in a 3 family home and I have there are 9 persons living in the home. (5 are tenants) and my family 4) anyway, lately, I have been smelling a sewerage smell... I am so embarrassed. I don't think I have a septic tank... we live in the bronx, ny... brick home. I read that I can...

View more questions Search