Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susan309 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Toilet Leaking from Handle
    I am getting water leaking from the toilet handle- why would this happen and how do I go about lowering the water level?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Your water level is way to high if you are leaking from the handle. Ballcocks vary a great deal. Can you describe your mechanism for us? If you have a ball on a brass rod you could do a jury rig adjustment and bend the rod down in the middle of the shaft.

Apr 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
    No ball on a rod Matt... just 2 flaps that open and close when flushed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Susan,

Ballcocks come in two flavors. A ball on a rod or a can on a wire. One flap that you describe would be the flapper that opens and closes the flush valve. This is part of the flush mechanism and has no part of the fill. Describe the other one. Regards, Tom

Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
    The flapper is dead center in the tank. Off to one side is the supply line entering the tank. The ballcock is attached just above the inlet. There should be something that moves several inches up and down when you flush, that's the float. Can you describe what you see and what it is made from? Back to you.

Apr 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Ballengerb,
    The supply line does not have a ball cock above it. It sort of looks like a flap but it is screwed down at the bottom of the tank. It has a round dial on it and it turns both ways. It feels like there is a spring attached to the dial.

Apr 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
    I'm lost at this point but Spoeedball1 is on the line. He probably knows what you are describing. Sorry
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Speedball wishes he did. If there's a ballcock that doesn't have some kind of a float switch shut off I want to see it. Now we need a picture or at the very least a exact description. Give me a name that I can research. Two flaps just don't get it. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 06:52 PM
    You have a water inlet at the left, rear of the tank. Somewhere you have a float that controls a valve. Is one of the flaps thick enough to be a float? Does it leak for a while right after it refills then stop? That means the float is set too high. If it doesn't leak until a while after it refills, but keeps leaking, the valve is leaking. Take the lid off and see if water is seeping out of a tube.

Post back with all the details and let Tom tell you how to fix it.

One other option is to rip out whatever you have, and replace it with the whole new works. Even if Tom is able to identify what you have, you may not be able to find parts you need. You should have a valve below the toilet. Shut it off. Remove the line. Remove the nut from under the bottom of the tank. The whole works should then pull out. Take it to a good hardware, Ace, True Value, etc. not Lowe's, etc. Tell them you want whatever they have that will work in its place.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 07:43 PM
    The valve you have is a valve that is controlled by the weight of the water above it, the dial that you see is suppose to make it possible to raise and lower the lever of the water. It has been my experience that they begin to add a little more water over time, hence the problem of the water running out of the handle hole. I also have found that after a time they get to the point that they will not cut off at all and will overfill your tank.
    These valves are not OK to use under under any plumbing code because they are a direct cross connection. The best thing you can do is to have it replaced or if you feel like you can you can do it yourself. A Fluidmaster 400 is a good one to use or a Coastmaster 10inch is also good. The Fluidmaster has the can that speedball mentioned and the Coastmaster has the old time rod and float ball that I like best.
    I hope this gets there in time to help you. Good Luck.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
    A big THANKS to letmetellu for jogging my memory. We outlawed these suckers(see left hand image) years ago in my area. I didn't realize any were still around.

Susan, Take his advice and have it replaced. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Single Handle Shower Fawcet [ 4 Answers ]

I believe I have a single handle shower fawcet. It looks as though the gaskets are not holding anymore and the water pressure pushes the handle out. It constantly runs so I have had to take off the handle and zip tied it shut. How do I fix or replace?:(

Replacing single handle bathtub handle with 2 handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am redoing the tile in my bathroom and want to change my single handle hot/cold fixture with a 2 handle fixture... Can I do this myself or do I need a plumber?. My house was built in the 1960's and the faucet seem original.. I do have access from the back and will have access in front once...

Toilet leaks at handle [ 5 Answers ]

I have the same problem as this guy: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/toilet-leaks-handle-14062.html Can anyone care to help an extreme novice at fixing this?

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

View more questions Search