Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xfyrfytr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2015, 11:43 AM
    Prorated rent refund
    I have gone through the formal agreement procedures. I was on month to month terms and still have yet to receive any returnable funds. I was inspected and returned keys to premises on 15 Feb 2015, with rent prepaid. There was only praise of satisfaction with cleanliness and improvements. My last contact with previous landlord was 26 Feb 2015, Where he stated: "I'll send your deposit next week". No mention of return of unearned rent. I know the pro-ration formula and the 21 day deposit/complaint criteria... but I feel I am being blatantly ignored. Here I am in March (16th) no contact yet. BTW... previous place was immediately rented after my departure, which insinuates a Feb. 2015 contract signing. What do I do?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 16, 2015, 12:46 PM
    I know the pro-ration formula and the 21 day deposit/complaint criteria...
    This is something out of the rental agreement, perhaps? Because, absent such contractual terms, one isn't usually entitled to have rent pro-rated.

It would be helpful to know what state or country you are in, but I would be calling them repeatedly, nagging them for the money which you think they owe you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2015, 03:32 AM
    Any question on law needs your general locale as laws vary by area. We also need to know more of the circumstances. Did you give sufficient notice? Did you vacate on the notice date?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 17, 2015, 03:48 AM
    Many states allow for return of deposits within 30 days. That means postmarked, if mailed. The 30th day after 2/15 is 3/17. Ask back on 3/21.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2015, 04:23 AM
    The OP said; "and the 21 day deposit/complaint criteria..". So I'm gathering he is in an area with a 21 day deadline for returning deposits. If so, he may be able to sue for double or treble damages, since the deadline was missed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 06:13 AM
    The title of the thread is "Prorated rent refund", and OP writes that the LL made "... No mention of return of unearned rent ...". Thus it appears to me that OP is asking about a portion of the rent, not the damage deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prorated rent [ 3 Answers ]

If I move in on the 15th, the landlord can only charge me for the part of the month I live there so it is prorated from the 15th to the 1st? If so, what is the law or statue or amendment that states this?

Prorated rent [ 4 Answers ]

I moved into an apartment on Feb. 28th. I received a notice of prorating my next months rent. I expected to pay for the one day I moved in early, but the manager is saying my rent is from the 28th of Feb. to the 28th of March and that I will have to pay extra for March 29, 30 and 31. Is this...

Prorated rent [ 2 Answers ]

I'm signing a rental agreement on Saturday at 10, the agent wants me to pay prorated for that particular day, I understand it is a business but shouldn't I only pay for the remaining 14 hrs. left for the day or is it completely legal to ask to pay prorated for the whole day

Prorated Rent [ 2 Answers ]

If I move out in a month that has 31 days (July) doesn't the Landlord have to figure my daily rental amount on 31 days? He told me that proprated rent is always figured on 30 days regardless of how many days are in the month. Thanks,

Prorated Rent [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Oakland, CA and was given a 30 day notice to be out by 5/18/07, I have called my landlord letting them know I'll be out 5/8/07, am I intitled to ask for the prorated rent from 5/9 to 5/18?

View more questions Search