Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vsheffield79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2015, 03:09 PM
    What do I put under "Reason for Leaving" on a per diem job?
    My last job was Accounts Payable for a company where I worked per diem. I hated that they didn't take taxes out on my checks making me pay for it at the end of the year. I really enjoyed working there and wanted to work for them full time but I was told that they could not hire me because they were actually downsizing the company at that time. Since they had no intentions of hiring me for more than a day to day basis I quit. Now, years later, I'm applying for jobs and on every job application it asks for my "Reason for Leaving" but what do I say? 85% of my accounting experience I received from that job so I don't want to leave them out of my job applications or take them off my resume. So what should I put on the applications?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 03:17 PM
    The truth.

Easy to say I know, but that is the best thing to put down. They'll understand. I think they're just looking for red flag reasons, eg:
    1). I got caught shagging the mail clerk.
    2). The third time I showed up drunk for work.
    3). They caught me embezzling money to fund knock off hello kitty merchandise.

I would, if you can, practice interviews with your family or friends. There are a lot of hiring managers that appreciate someone who is prepared for their interview.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2015, 03:55 PM
    I would re-arrange the truth a bit and say 'per diem job insecure; company downsizing'
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2015, 04:54 PM
    Have you not worked since then? Did you have a significant break between when you quit and started your next job.

You can simply say you wanted permanent employment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2015, 08:57 PM
    Thus the reason it is always best to find a new job, before you leave the other job.

But you say it was a temp job, that was on a day to day payment.
    ** as note, even on a day to day basis, if they keep you for a longer period, or pay you weekly, they are required to either be a 1099 or a W2, not per-Diem (Even temp work agencies withhold taxes and have to pay things like workers comp,

Unless they were paying 10 to 20 percent above normal pay, they were basically cheating you since they were not having to pay social security taxes, not paying unemployment tax, or workers comp.

I would see it as illegal employment personally, or at best a insure position.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2015, 05:40 AM
    I just noticed the 'now years later' part. That's the only thing that really matters - having a good reason for not working all those years. Raising children, caring for parents, all acceptable.
    They were paying you illegally as a contractor (not per diem). Two of many IRS rules for not paying wages with taxes taken out are 1) you can't work on the premises except very occasionally and 2) you must have at least one other source of income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinking about leaving my husband. The only reason I stay is our daughter. [ 15 Answers ]

I am only 21 and I have a daughter who is 1. I am married to a man who has been previously married and divorced with a 4 year old son. I can not seem to get over his past. He has always struggled financially because he pay $600 per month in child support. He has not done anything to modify the...

What to write on an application reason for leaving [ 2 Answers ]

Filling out an application, don't know what to write

Filling out application reason for leaving [ 2 Answers ]

Have to fill out an application.. the reason for leaving the old job

PA position-Need excuse for leaving job- Job started in June 08-leaving for Europe in [ 2 Answers ]

Leave my job as PA probably returning to job after I come back from my trip to Greece. After graduation I was looking for a job. After two months my best friend she found for me a job as a Personal Assistant. My boss ( an writer who works at home) during the interview told me that he was...

View more questions Search