Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 03:03 AM
    New Upstairs Bathroom
    Hello,

I'm installing a new upstairs bathroom and am considering doing the plumbing myself. Would it be possible for you to take a look at the attached drawing to see if I'm on the right track. My primary concern is venting. I was going to tie into the existing vent in the attic well above any fixtures but think it would be better to vent the upstairs bathroom independently. It will tie into the main septic in the basement so I want to make sure the venting I'm considering will work.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
    If you can tee into your current vent in the attic you will be better off. If you make a new opeing in your roof you are making more work which may allow a roof leak. There is no pressure in the vent stack, it is somewhat forgiving compared to the other work you are doing. Your drawing labels the top as roof but I think from what you say that is your attic, right?
    rkway Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Thanks for the advice,

The roof is the line in the drawing but I do have a crawl space in the attic where I can tee in to the existing vent stack. It will run horizontal approx 30 ft to get to the new bathroom area. I would like to avoid going through the roof with the new vent but wasn't sure if this would give good venting being so far away from the current vent stack.
    pmg5030 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Venting through roof is always best but sometimes you might need to use a Studor vent.This vent opens when water flows and closes when not.They are a little expensive but work great.Also make sure you use traps as needed to prevent sewer gas from backing up into fixture.Hope this helps?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in my Upstairs Bedroom/Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sure this has been asked... but I need some help. I live in a 2 story townhouse. My bedroom is upstairs and there is a bathroom off the bedroom. About a week ago, I started noticing a smell. The smell comes and goes. Sometimes it's so bad I can't go into the bedroom and 45 minutes laterI...

Upstairs bathroom - no hot water [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom is getting no hot water, either to the sink or the tub. The cold water works fine in the sink, tub, and toilet. The kitchen downstairs is fine, as is the bathroom more or less directly below the upstairs one. If I run the hot water downstairs, I can get a trickle of cold...

Slow sink in upstairs bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Water is slow going down put in Mr. Plumber liquid several times and soesn't seem to help

No hot water in upstairs bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

Our house is 2 years old and the hot water in the upstairs bathroom will not work. The sink get's hot water but the tub gets nothing. The tub has a single handle moen fixture. The cold water comes out fine but when you turn the dial to the hot water side, nothing comes out. We at first thought it...

Earwig Problem in Upstairs Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am inquiring about wasp and earwig problem in my upstairs bathroom. I saw about 4 wasps within 2 days in my master bathroom over a week ago. Thereafter I visually saw one earwig drop out of that vent and then saw about 4 or 5 earwigs in that bathroom the next day and almost at least one...

View more questions Search