Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waregl10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2014, 12:30 PM
    Do I have to collect soc sec if eligible in order to file for bankruptcy
    In order to potentially discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy I will need to meet the three (3) conditions of the Brunner test. I anticipate that I will be laid off at the end of this year. I will be forced to file chapter 7 proceedings. In order to meet the first condition of the Brunner test I must show that repayment of the PLUS loan that I have will cause hardship. I will be able to file for and receive unemployment compensation when I am laid off. This will amount to approx $1200 per month. I will also be eligible to file for ss retirement benefits. My question is , would it be best for me to not file for my ss retirement benefits until after my chapter 7 bankruptcy is complete? I was thinking that in order to show the lowest income possible, (in order to help meeting the Brunner test), it would be best not to be collecting the ss retirement benefit. What do you think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2014, 09:26 PM
    If you can, file and receive, and the only reason you are not.. is to show lower income, this would be considered a fraud ( or may be viewed so by the court) if discovered, it may disqualify the entire bankruptcy.

They will look very closely at the hardship. ( most are denied) if you do not, you need an attorney for this, level of bankruptcy, since you can expect it to be contested.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 20, 2014, 02:55 AM
    I'm not an expert on this subject, but given that student loans aren't usually discharged under Chap7, I don't see a good chance of waiting to collect SS getting by the judge. With UI of 1200/mo, your salary must be pretty good. You can't pay the 110/mo or whatever the amount is now for minimum payment?

And if your loan is a gov't loan, they have 6 months past the finalization to collect.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 12, 2014, 11:25 AM
    The Brunner Test is as follows:

"...a standard for "undue hardship" requiring a three-part showing: (1) that the debtor cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a "minimal" standard of living for herself and her dependents if forced to repay the loans; (2) that additional circumstances exist indicating that this state of affairs is likely to persist for a significant portion of the repayment period of the student loans; and (3) that the debtor has made good faith efforts to repay the loans. ..." Student loans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is clear that eligibility for Social Security benefits would clearly fall within the second prong of the test. And, as others have indicated, to try to hide the Social Security by waiting to file would be fraudulent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No deduction from paycheck for Soc. Sec. [ 3 Answers ]

While completing my PHD at Eastern Michigan Univ. I also worked as an assistant professor. I gave lectures, tests and met with clients. During those 4 years Eastern Michigan Univ. did not take any Social Security from my paychecks. They claim that because I was a student they were not required...

Aunt receives Soc Sec Widows Benefit, lived in Canada 40+ yrs. Does she have to file [ 4 Answers ]

Soc. Sec is deposited to her Bank - no withholding or Medicare deduction is made. She adds 85% to her Canadian Pension income amount on her Can Taxes Is she exempt from filing 1040NR?

Soc. Sec. Disability and Deferred Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am 59 years old, permanently disabled for one year now and currently receiving monthly Social Security Disability payments, along with monthly payments from two long term private disability policies. My former employer set up a "deferred compensation" program which generally is paid when an...

Garnishment of soc sec or pension in Florida ? [ 2 Answers ]

Can social security or corporate pensions be garnished if the individual is a Florida resident ?

Am I eligible to file Bankruptcy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in credit card debt for approximately $10,000 and all are in judgement status. 1) Am I eligible to file Bankruptcy? 2) Is there a minimum amount of debt owed to qualify for bankruptcy? 3) Can someone direct me to a web site to get info on the new Bankruptcy laws that have been passed? ...

View more questions Search