Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssoat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Court summons for past credit card debt
    I am a 23 year old full time college student and I work part time as a cashier. I just received a summons to appear in court for the amount of $2900.00 that they say I owe them from a card two years ago. I stopped paying on it over two years ago. This is higher than the actual amount of the balance on the card. My question is what can I do now that it has gone this far. I don't have the money to repay at this time, I have no money saved up, I barely make enough to pay my bills each month. I cannot afford an attorney to help me through this. I could make a payment each month, but not a whole lot. Does the prosecutors office work with the person, once it has gotten this far?

My father died last year, and he was going to help me get through my debt, I don't talk to my mother, and have no other way of paying the balance in full. Is it too late to try a debt program since its already a summons to court? What are my options at this point? Will I go to jail, can they take my car? How do I get myself out of this mess.. I appreciate any advice anyone can give.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Ok there is no prosecutor, what they are doing is sueing you in civil court, if they get a judgement, they can freeze any of your bank accounts and take what little money is there, and depending on your state, garnish part of your paycheck each week. The time to make payments is before they sue you.
    WeAreLost Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoat
    I am a 23 year old full time college student and I work part time as a cashier. I just received a summons to appear in court for the amount of $2900.00 that they say I owe them from a card two years ago. I stopped paying on it over two years ago. This is higher than the actual amount of the balance on the card. My question is what can I do now that it has gone this far. I don't have the money to repay at this time, I have no money saved up, I barely make enough to pay my bills each month. I cannot afford an attorney to help me through this. I could make a payment each month, but not a whole lot. Does the prosecutors office work with the person, once it has gotten this far?

My father died last year, and he was going to help me get through my debt, I don't talk to my mother, and have no other way of paying the balance in full. Is it too late to try a debt program since its already a summons to court?? What are my options at this point? Will I go to jail, can they take my car? How do I get myself out of this mess..I appreciate any advice anyone can give.
    No one goes to jail over money owed. As long as you didn't steal it. Look up your states laws

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so super long story short. In 2004 my husband and I settled over $40,000 in debt with his retirement money. Then, of course, we had to pay taxes on it for income. We had to borrow $7,000 from our son and we STILL owe him that money... The whole thing was a mess. There were two credit card...

Summond to court for a past credit card [ 1 Answers ]

I got a paper in the mail last week saying I was summond to courte for a past credit card it is for 1,300 plus courte cost and fees.. I have no way of paying this I am laid if of work right now and only make 200.00 in unemployment every 2 weeks.. I live in Illinois I was just wondering what they...

Credit card debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have credit card debt from four different cards. One is our local credit union (washington state) and I believe they are trying to send me a summons. I was contacted by an ex-partner who said they contacted him with "papers". He said he did not know how to contact me. If they cannot find me...

Summons for Credit Card Debt [ 6 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in pre-trail court due to $5,000 of credit card debt. I own this debt. I have a large sum of credit card debt and am considering bankruptcy. How can I avoid a trail and possible judgment? I thought about offering the company $1,000 to settle debt.

Summons received for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was...

View more questions Search