Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 5, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Hissing toilet
    Well, I am sure there is an easy fix for this but before I went and started replacing parts, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I hear a hissing noise coming from my toilet. I am about 99% sure it is coming from my tank area. My thought is it is coming from the float area. Maybe, the seal on the top is going bad? Also, on the same toilet not all the toilet paper flushes. Usually we get 1 piece that wants to come back up. This is a 5 gal tank and probably is quite old. I bought a new flapper for another reason and that didn't help. It is one of those you can adjust for a maximum flush (if you know what I mean) Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    Well, I am sure there is an easy fix for this but before I went and started replacing parts, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I hear a hissing noise coming from my toilet. I am about 99% sure it is coming from my tank area. My thought is it is coming from the float area. Maybe, the seal on the top is going bad? Also, on the same toilet not all the toilet paper flushes. Usually we get 1 piece that wants to come back up. This is a 5 gal tank and probably is quite old. I bought a new flapper for another reason and that didn't help. It is one of those you can adjust for a maximum flush (if you know what I mean) Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take the lid off and flush. Is there water squirting up from the ball cock? Is the hissing noise coming from the ballcock itself? It's not the flapper that's making the hissing noise, it's water pressure in the ballcock that's causing it. As for not removing all the paper and solids when you flush I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps. Tom
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 5, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Hissing toilet
    Thanks for replying so quickly, Tom. I am pretty sure it is coming from the ball cock itself. I don't think water is squirting out of it.

As far as my flushing issue, I have seen your other posts but didn't know if mine would be the same problem or not. I will check the smal hole in the bowl.

I know the small overflow tube has to be a certain height over the water level but what if it isn't? It is actually level with it.

I had just moved in the house 3 months ago and finding these problems. It sounds to me like the previous people didn't do anything for preventive maintenance and just left everything the way it was. Thanks again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    Thanks for replying so quickly, Tom. I am pretty sure it is coming from the ball cock itself. I don't think water is squirting out of it.

As far as my flushing issue, I have seen your other posts but didn't know if mine would be the same problem or not. I will check the smal hole inthe bowl.

I know the small overflow tube has to be a certain height over the water level but what if it isn't? It is actually level with it.

I had just moved in the house 3 months ago and finding these problems. It sounds to me like the previous people didn't do anything for preventive maintenance and just left everything the way it was. Thanks again.
    Reduce the water in the tank so it's 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube.
    Level's just asking for problems.
    As for the hissing, try reducing the pressure at the angle stop located under the tank. If that don't get it then turn off the supply to the tank and remove the top section of the ballcock. Now hold your hand over the open top and open up the angle stop for a few seconds and flush out the supply and ballcock. Reassemble and test it out. Better now? Cheers, tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2005, 07:51 AM
    Flushing properly
    Hi,
    Since it isn't flushing properly, it means there is not enough water pressure, force, forcing it down the drain.
    If you have an old wire clotheshanger, use one end to run through and out of the holes under the lid of the toilet.
    There could be carbonate deposits built up, depending on your water supply. The wire clothes hanger will help get them out.
    Run the wire up in the bottom, in front, beneath the water, where the water rushes out; in the toilet bowl.
    Be careful not to get the wire stuck up in there!
    If you wish to see some cut-away pictures of how the water is routed in a toilet, go to Google.com, type in toilets, and do some research. You can see cut-aways at some sites.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Hissing kittens [ 4 Answers ]

We have just added two twelve week old ragdoll kittens to our family. They are socialized and are fine with everyone except out 9 year old kelpie/cross. She is okay with them but won't look directly at them as they hiss every time she is about. What can we do to help them bond with her.

Hissing! [ 2 Answers ]

One of my cats has been very calm and easy going for the first two years of his life and now, all of a sudden, he has started to hiss at us. It seemed to start as a game he was playing. We would be walking and he would jump in front of us and hiss. Now he has started hissing all the time. When we...

Hissing shy kittens [ 2 Answers ]

Dear list Last week my fiancé and I adopted 6 month old sisters. We kept them in a separate room and visited them several times per day. Despite their cowering, hissing and growling we sat/layed on the floor, spoke softly and pet them. Some progress was made and they seem a little more...

Hissing cat! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I posted the thread on here titled 2 cats, this is an update to that thread. The mother cat is still hissing at her 6 month old female offspring, though it is now more frequent and aggressive, she refuses to let sachi(kitten) near her, she just displays her fangs and hisses really loud or just...

View more questions Search