Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alsharff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 10:40 AM
    How to remove a Grohe kitchen faucet
    I'm replacing our kitchen sink. It has a Grohe Lady Lux faucet that I'd like to reuse.

Can anyone tell me how to get it out of the sink?

From what I can see (the sink is out) there's a horse shoe shaped nut on the bottom but turning it will damage the supply lines coming from the faucet.

Thanks,

Al Sharff
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 10:53 PM

You don't have to do anything under the sink. All can the hard work can be done from above:

1. Pull out hand spray as much out of the rigid goose neck as possible
    2. Pull on the rigid goose neck. It will pull out
    3. You will expose and see brass-like-nut on top of the column
    4. Take crescent wrench and unscrew it. It has fine thread so it will take many turns to unscrew it. Eventually you will hear the U-shaped washer to drop down under the sink.

Of course, if you access, it can be unscrewed from the bottom, too. . Remove water supply lines, hose. There is an deep nut. Take crescent wrench and unscrew. That "horse shoe nut" is really a washer, not a nut. It slips over long threaded brass bolt and around water supplies, and holds faucet against counter top.

Sorry, I tried to locate exploded view of this faucet that shows with removed spout exposing the brass nut - but could not find one...
    Attached Images

jmpeg40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Thanks for your help. I needed to tighten my faucet and did not know how to remove spout. It simply pulls off and I was able to tighten faucet with a wrench from above.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 11:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpeg40 View Post
    Thanks for your help. I needed to tighten my faucet and did not know how to remove spout. It simply pulls off and I was able to tighten faucet with a wrench from above.
    Exactly. Grohe makes this part of installation very easy, doesn't it. No crawling under the sink and working with tools in tight spaces. :D
    PMose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Thanks so much! This information was very helpful... my husband isn't too good with his hands and normally we have to pay a plumber but you made it so easy that he actually did it hisself!
    Thanks Again for your help!!
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
    PMose: you are very welcomed. Revisit in the future if you need help with any other plumbing problem. Best regards. Milo
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
    Milo is a live saver, Thanks.

John
    bripple Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Replacing the sprayer house should be a 20 minute job max if you use the quick release that is connected to the spray hose under your sink. If you release the sprayer hose using the quick release in the picture below, then you can easily get to the end of the hose and remove it from the quick release and pull the house through from the top.

biljeemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
    I spent about an hour looking at the horse shoe nut from the bottom of the sink trying to figure out how to remove it. After reading your post, it was a breeze. Thanks! Of course, I waited until Christmas eve to try this, so this was a real life saver. I guess it always pay to do your homework first, before tackling a job.

Mike
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
    biljeemike: LOL ! Good to know you were able to fix it after all. Happy Holidays to you ! Milo
    cutter1335 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Wow... thanks for the great advice! I too spent an hour trying to figure out how to remove the horse shoe shaped nut and then went to Home Depot to look for a special tool. One of the store associates was kind enough to look up Grohe tool on his computer in the store and I just happened to see the question "how do I remove a Grohe kitchen faucet" and asked him to go back. I saw your answer and couldn't believe it... I would have never figured it out.

Had it installed in about 40 minutes (I'm slow)... thanks again!
    Dennis
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:55 PM
    Cutter1335: Happy to share my knowledge with you - and save you few bucks in the process ! Best ! Milo
    qwaletee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2014, 01:07 PM
    I was trying to tighten mine form the top, but the nut is so tight that the wrench just slips. (Using an adjustable wrench, but fully tightened). The flat sides "indentation") of the nut are slight, so I guess the wren is able to skip against the soft rounded brass at the edge of the flat side.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 22, 2014, 04:10 PM
    As much as I don't like this advice, you can always try using a pair of water pump pliers to grab the metal and unspin the connection. If you hold firm, it should NOT harm the faucet in any way, but it should get it started turning...;)

Mark

May 22, 2014, 06:16 PM
    I assume that's the generic name for Channel Lock pliers. Tried it. Might be losing my grip, or that's one stubborn nut. (My wife calls me that all the time, maybe it's just payback.)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2014, 03:45 PM
    You could purchase a cheap plumber's wrench (grip won't be issue with that tool)...try that!! Back to you...

May 25, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Do you mean a standard US pipe wrench or one of these Plumber wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM
    Basin wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

plumbers wrench tight spaces - Bing Images
    Plumbing Expert

May 25, 2014, 10:32 AM
    FYI: There is a brass nut under the sink on long threaded faucet column. It secures faucet to the counter top. If there is enough space, you can take basin wrench and help it from down underneath. Once it gets loose, finish unscrewing it from the top. Hope that helps. Milo

May 26, 2014, 11:26 PM
    Thank you, massplumber2008, that worked.

The advice given by another to use the plumber's wrench under the sink does not work too well. The Grohe unique mounting/fastening system doesn't work well without their special tool.

To go under the sink, you need a special tool. Above, the plumber's wrench... or even a tight-fitting standard wrench, will do the job.That sucka was really tight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove a moen single handle kitchen faucet [ 11 Answers ]

I am just trying to remove the mounted faucet in order to replace or fix this one is there some special trick to a removal ? Please help

Low flow Grohe Ladylux faucet [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know how to get the screen out of the pull out handle of my Ladylux (not cafe) kitchen faucet. Water flow is 1 gal/min (hot and cold) and I understand that it should be 2.2 gal/min ,

Grohe Kitchen faucet leak at connection to hose/hand spray [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Euro style faucet that is leaking at the connection at the spray hose. It has been in service twenty years. I replaced the hose once, due to a leak. Now the Original Hand Spray is no longer made. The leak is coming from around the Spray hose swivel. When I take the old Hand Spray off...

Grohe kitchen faucet flows reduced significantly [ 3 Answers ]

Over the past week have noticed that my Grohe faucet (older model of this http://db.grohecatalog.com/upload/pdf2/32244sp.pdf) is putting out significantly less water (both hot and cold). I am not a plumber but pretty handy. I am thinking it's one of the pressure springs or some filter. Can you...

How do I remove a kitchen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything special I should know about removing a kitchen faucet? Can I use a putty knife to remove the old caulking and then simply remove it? That is after I've unscrewed the lines.

View more questions Search