Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladytech_99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 09:00 AM
    Refused doctor visit over bill not sent
    I had a procedure done, last month, on my lower back for pain. Yesterday was my follow up visit. When I arrived, I told the receptionist I wanted to pay the bill I had gotten, the day before, for the procedure. The amount the receptionist said I owed was more than twice the amount shown on the bill. The receptionist said that was because the other Medicare payment was posted after my bill went out, and that the next bill I got would reflect that. When I said I only had enough money to pay the first bill, I was told I would have to sign a promissory note for the balance if I wanted to see the doctor. I refused, and stated that saying I had to sign the note, to see doctor, was a form of extortion, and that I was there to pay first bill in addition to my follow up appointment. Needless to say, this went around and around. I spoke to the office manager, as well, who stated it was their practice to get promissory notes for unpaid balances. I told them I was still in pain, and have not gotten any prescriptions from the doctor. My question is, can they force me to sign a promissory note for a bill, not yet sent by them, in order to see doctor?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2014, 09:31 AM
    Sure.. its their practice... they aren't legally required to see someone that owes them money, or won't agree they will pay whats owed for that visit.

In fact... its common practice to sign such a form when seeking service at a medical practice (meaning before they they take you to see the doctor)... even with insurance and when you don't have any payments due.

You have a choice... sign it.. or try and find another doctor that doesn't make you. And good luck there. I haven't seen any, not that I can remember in over 30 years.
    ladytech_99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2014, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Sure.. its their practice... they aren't legally required to see someone that owes them money, or won't agree they will pay whats owed for that visit.

In fact... its common practice to sign such a form when seeking service at a medical practice (meaning before they they take you to see the doctor)... even with insurance and when you don't have any payments due.

You have a choice... sign it.. or try and find another doctor that doesn't make you. And good luck there. I haven't seen any, not that I can remember in over 30 years.

Thanks for the reply. I'm 52 years old, and have seen many doctors, as well as had many procedures done in my life time. Never once have I been told, or made to sign a promissory by any doctor/medical practice, so this was a shock to me, as well as an insult. Fortunately, my doctor had been made aware of what happened, and called to see what medications I may need. The doctor stated that he never liked the promissory note thing, but the other doctors in the practice wanted it, so he was sorry I'd had a bad experience. I have an appointment with the same doctor, again, May 02... we'll see how the front desk staff act, this time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2014, 05:30 PM
    I'm 53... when I do do to the doctors or the ER and fill out the papers at the beginning of every visit I have made in memory dating back to the early 80's, and that was in three different states (don't remember those before then) one of those forms was always the agreement to pay if the insurance refused to pay them. It covers their butt because sometimes people show up with insurance cards that aren't valid because of losing their jobs or quitting them...or the insurance company refuses for some other reason.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 01:31 AM
    This is getting to be a more and more common practice. That doctors will not see you unless all past bills are paid and you pay for current treatment. Most want basic office charges paid prior to seeing you.

Too many people are not paying the doctor, run a large bill and just change doctors.

With more and more people not having insurance, this will be more common in future, my guess

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor unjustly refused to write adderall prescription due to urine test results [ 1 Answers ]

I have been prescribed adderall since I was in the 8th grade... last year the price suddenly went up and in couldn't afford it for months until I got Medicaid... Once I did I had to see a new doctor and they said they wanted to start me off on a lower amount and gradually increase it which I...

My boss has asked me to tell him what time I was at a doctor. I have refused [ 4 Answers ]

I had a medical procedure done at the Doctor office twice. The doctor gave me a doctors not for work both times. Which I was out both times for the same thing. I also prescheduled those days off. Now my boss is questioning me on what time I was there at the office on the last dayof the procedure....

Doctor visit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Currently, I am 10 weeks pregnant last period starting on January 7th. I was in the hospital with an amonia dec. 27th - jan 5th. I did receive a urine pregnancy test which came up negative and got my period on the 7th but I am still nervous due to all the medication I was on if I was...

If my visit visa ti us refused do you suggest to change the type of visa [ 1 Answers ]

My visit visa b1/b2 to us refused for the second time do you think I have to apply for new kind of visa Best regards,

Inappropriate doctor visit! [ 8 Answers ]

I was seen by a doctor the other day for having a cold. The doctor went to listen to me breathing from the front and just lifts my shirt without asking. I did not have on a bra cause I had gone there straight out of bed cause they said they could see me right away. This made me so uncomfortable,...

View more questions Search