Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aussie2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 11:22 PM
    How to fill out tax form 8833
    My husband needs to file his 2009 as a dual resident. He is an Australian citizen who moved to the USA as a permanent resident by the end of 2009. I am claiming his Australian earned wages as tax exempt due to the Australia-US tax treaty. While filling out his 1040NR, I realized that I need to attach a 8833 because his aggregate income was over $100,000. My confusion is with form 8833.

(8833) #2 I know the article of the relevant tax treaty, but I have no idea what IRS provision was overruled?

(8833) #3 I assume this is not applicable as the income payer was an Australian company with no US ties.

(8833) #4 According to IRS Pub 910 there is no limit on the benefit from the Australian tax treaty for article 15.

Does anyone know the answer to (8833) #2 and whether I am on the right track for (8833) #3 & (8833) #4?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
    #2 - Taxation of world-wide income for U.S. residents.
    cdals Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 03:24 AM
    US income is not taxed worldwide, this is a myth spread by the IRS. Look at the tax treaties. If you are a US citizen and have pension income such as social security and an annuity and many other pensions you are often taxed in your country of residence and not the USA. A HUGE tax trap.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 08:43 AM
    That does not change the requirement for U.S. citizens to file an annual tax return even if they are living in another country. The combination of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) and the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) often results in NO taxes being due, but the return STILL must be filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

8833 form [ 2 Answers ]

I became residence in 2009. I am still under tax treaty from Jan.1 to May 22, 2009. How do I calculate tax return? How do I give information in 1040? How to fill form 8833 line 2, line 3, line 4? Thanks. YJ

Issue about form 8833. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am citizen of China and entered in US on F-1 visa in 2005. My status was changed from OPT to H-1B in Oct, 2008. My wife is a student on F-1 visa. I filed extension and am considered as resident alien to file form 1040. I was wondering how I can fill out form 8833 for my wife to claim...

Do I still need to fill tax forms when there's no W2 form for me? [ 6 Answers ]

I got my 1042-s form but I don't get W-2 form. I went to payroll office and they told me there's no tax information on me in the computer which means I will not have W-2 form this year. My question is that do I still need to fill tax forms before tax day, because I received 1042-s form? Here's...

What income tax form should I fill? I had a J1 [ 1 Answers ]

I entered in the states with a J1 visa and stayed there for 4 months, well I have lots of doubts: I'm not sure what income tax form should I fill. where should I declare all my travel expenses such as plane and train tickets, my rent, cost of the program, etc If I have a dependant but in my...

Which tax form do I need to fill [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am staying in US from Aug, 2002 to Present. I am currently in H1-B visa status (I am not in dual status). What tax form do I need to fill out and will I be eligible for the indo-us tax deduction ($5000)? Can someone let me know? Thanks! Ganesh

View more questions Search