Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsmivtr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 12:24 AM
    Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise.
    Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea.

The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a gas furnace, if that helps) using a switch that was installed for that very purpose, as the unit is rather old but generally still works.

Basically, the motor makes an extremely loud running noise, and I'm not too sure what it could be. It's as if a car has started in the basementm, the noise is that bad. I'm going to try to switch it on again tomorrow morning, but I was wondering if there was any danger to leaving it unpowered other than maybe not having hot water. The pilot light is still on, so it seems to be going okay.

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Shutting power off to the system, is little different than turning the thermostat up too high to call for cooling. It should be safe to leave it that way until a repairman comes. This loud noise, is it the sort of screech that sends you to have your brakes relined? If so, it may be a fairly easy repair to the blower that circulates the air. If it is more of a pulsing sound that sends you to a muffler shop, it is a compressor failing, requiring a licensed HVAC repairman. Compressors are outside in an A/C system, but I guess one could be inside for a heat pump.
    R Irwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2014, 07:00 PM
    Having the same issue, I took a hvac course few years ago so I'm by no means a expert, but I can trouble shoot most problems once I go through the sequence of events as the furnace starts up, I have come to 1 of 2 conclusions, bearings in the VENTING MOTOR (not blower with squirel cage) are shot, or inside the shroud of the VENTING MOTOR there's a alignment issue with the fan blades

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower loud train like noise [ 20 Answers ]

My furnace blower recently started making a loud, low, steady train like noise every time it comes on. It is not a higher pitched squeek, but more like an engine. It is moving air and the cage is spinning. My furnace is supposed to be a perm lubricated motor. Help! I have the blower motor...

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search