Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gadget_151 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2014, 04:46 PM
    New Dentures... What can I eat?
    Hello, it's day number two for me having dentures and I'm fairly hungry. I've got pudding, yogurt, bananas, bread, drinkable soup and broth. But is there anything else that only requires minimal chewing to no chewing? How about eggs? Can I eat noodles if I overcook them? Stuff like that. I'm a young adult and single parent so I survive off junk food and whatever the children leave on their plates (waste not, want not) so I'm sure you can see how frustrating this is.
    Ideas? Suggestions?
    Please assist_ Gadget
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 05:20 PM
    Did your dentist restrict any foods? Is there a list of things you're allowed to eat, and not allowed to eat?

Soup is good, no chewing required. Eggs require some chewing but minimal. Soggy cereal, cream of wheat, popcorn twists (they melt in your mouth), smoothies. You could also blend any of the foods you're really craving. Not the nicest to look at, but it would work.

Jan 3, 2014, 06:37 PM
    Thank you for replying!
    And no, the dentist didn't restrict anything that wasn't obvious (chips and the like) nor did she give me a list of things I could eat. Plus I was so out of it I didn't think to ask.
    I will try soggy cereal and the popcorn twists. Thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 09:35 PM
    Not sure the restrictions, I got them and was doing hamburgers on day three. I guess it may depend on how many teeth were pulled previous to getting them, and how much pain you are in.

Jan 3, 2014, 09:45 PM
    Thank you.
    It probably does have something to do with that,and it was all my adult teeth in one go. I'm not in pain, but my lower jaw is tender and swollen. Managed to eat some eggs, a cheeto and a couple of fries the kids didn't eat, kind of regret it now.
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 10:15 PM
    Of course mashed potatoes, apple sauce, scrambled eggs, mild shakes, creamed meat, are all good.
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 10:15 PM
    Just get and fix some different food for you,
    Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 10:17 PM
    I will note, pop corn will suck forever, it gets under the dentures

And I hope you are more lucky, I never could do corn on cob or steaks,

I just got the new style, and was hoping for better, they are a lot lighter, stay in with no adhesive, but still will not do everything.

Jan 4, 2014, 09:05 AM
    Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I'd already expected to have difficulty with corn on the cob and popcorn. But steak too? That's going to suck.
    My mouth's a lot more sore today than it was the first two but I'm definitely more confident about it now.
    The kind I have are very small a light, I don't know if they're a new brand or style or whatever though, I just have a small jaw structure.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2014, 09:31 AM
    There are two things to consider: one is constipation from not getting enough roughage, and the other is not getting the vital breakdown of food by chewing, which uses enzymes and good bacteria to help start digestion. So rather than just eating soft foods, use a blender or food processor to finely chop them. You can chop virtually anything edible, even a steak or chicken. Try making a pot roast and grinding it up with the juices. Grind up fresh green broccoli and spinach. Make your own applesauce and smoothies. In the winter, oatmeal really is warming and yummy. Add ground up apple and nuts.

I have a hand held blender, with comes with chopper attachments, just a quick rinse under the faucet.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Phone your dentist. I don't think anyone has to resort to blender food. If you want to maintain ruffage to keep your bowels going buy baby veggie foods.

It won't go on for more than two or three weeks, just until your gums return to normal.

Jan 4, 2014, 10:45 AM
    Thank you all. We did try to blend a few things together (beef stew) and while it was still good, the texture sort of threw me off.
    I am glad to learn I can eat oatmeal, there's a ton of that in the cupboard that no one else will touch.
    Thank you all again for the advice, I've a lot to consider and add to the grocery list.
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 12:54 PM
    Another good food is shepherds pie. You can grind the beef down a bit to a consistency that suits you, the peas will be soft once they're cooked, and then it's just mashed potatoes on top. Gives you a bit more flavor than the other foods. :)

Cream of wheat is my favorite, we eat it a lot in our house. Make it, add some butter on top, and then cinnamon and sugar. Very yummy, and great for a cold winters night, or afternoon, or evening.
    current pert

Jan 4, 2014, 03:32 PM
    Tickle, I have to eat a lot of blender food because I keep putting this whole thing off...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 4, 2014, 06:14 PM
    You have to because of what? Your teeth bother you?
    current pert

Jan 5, 2014, 06:30 AM
    My teeth all started to go at once. My current doctor doesn't believe me that everything went downhill right after I had cellulitis 2 1/2 years ago, and had to have IV antibiotics. Suddenly got intertrigo and any skin won't heal, crippling arthritis/inflammation around the site of the infection, very high HBP (went from 110/80 to 225/something), and dental problems, about 13 teeth all breaking at once.

Jan 5, 2014, 02:22 PM
    Joypulv, that sounds very painful. I hope you're doing better now.
    My teeth more or less degraded the same in the span of two years. Stress, poor diet and a very bad stint of depression and personal neglec.

So here's another denture related question. Mouthwashes? My mouth taste absolutely gross in the morning. Is their something that won't harm the healing or just sting like a ?
    Pets Expert

Jan 5, 2014, 02:28 PM
    I'm no dentist, and I'd check with your dentist before you try this, but salt water is what I'd suggest. Salt water actually promotes healing, and is often suggested if you have a sore in your mouth. It may sting a bit because you're still healing, but it should wash out some of the bad taste in your mouth, without damaging the healing process.

But I'm suggesting this based on what I've been told by my dentist and doctor before. I'm not a dentist or a doctor, so please know that if you do use the salt water, it's your choice, not a diagnosis or prescription from me.

Jan 5, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Salt water, thank you. I'll give that a go. I'm seeing my dentist tomorrow as there's a rough edge digging in under my tongue that's driving me insane, hopefully I'll remember to ask about mouthwash too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I gag when I take out my dentures? [ 5 Answers ]

I had all my teeth removed a week ago and they put in the dentures immediately after the surgery. So far it's been a week and its been okay.. however I noticed over the past day or so my dentures are causing me to gag when I'm taking them out. Since I'm still healing and on soft foods my dental...

Lower Dentures Only [ 3 Answers ]

I am contemplating getting a lower denture only and leaving all my top teeth in tact. Has anyone ever done this and is what is recovery time (i.e. when new dentures can be worn) Thanks!

Dentures [ 4 Answers ]

I have dentures and have had them for about 4 years. I keep hearing that if they don't fit right it could be bad for my health. I do glue mine in but I don't really think that they don't fit. Is gluing them in all the time a bad thing to be doing?

Need dentures? [ 0 Answers ]

I am just starting with a new dentist after about 7 years of not seeing one. I have always had bad teeth and dental problems. The situation now is - On the top, I have 3 missing teeth, one tooth half-missing (fillings fell out and it is barely there), three loose teeth due to possible gum...

View more questions Search