Ask
    ash083 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2014, 05:47 PM
    My pipes are frozen but my cold water is running but my hot water not
    My pipes froze but I have running cold water but no hot
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2014, 08:35 PM
    You need to be ready to deal with and fix the leaks that are almost certain to raise their heads as soon as the frozen pipes thaw... as they are usually split by the ice as it expands. So locate your water shutoffs now to save time. Unless you get really lucky.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 3, 2014, 08:45 PM
    Turn off cold water input valve to water heater. This will prevent flooding when hot water pipes thaw if pipes are busted. By turning off cold water input valve you will still have cold water.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2014, 08:50 PM
    "...Aristotle, Bacon, and Descartes all described hot water freezing faster than cold ...
    the notion was mostly resisted until the 1960's when a high school student named Mpemba " (did some experiments with ice cream)
    " Mpemba repeated his experiment with water rather than ice cream mixture and found the same result: the hot water froze more quickly than the cooler water. "
    from: Can Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water? - Water Temperature and Freezing

That aside, the water in the pipes in longer runs (like some of my pipes which go through a crawl space) the faucet not having been opened for a while, the water in the hot water pipe is just as cold as in the cold water side anyhow.

You need to get some heat to those pipes of yours and thaw them out, and be prepared for a possible leak once it is thawed due to a possible busted pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black sediment in cold water pipes rust in hot water pipes [ 2 Answers ]

I have black sediment stuck in fixtures for all cold water pipes and rust out of the hot. Could this have to do with not changing a water filter on the main? The black sediment looks like carbon particles and I am afraid that it has effected my water heater also.

Pipes are frozen, some water came out of hot water, but now I have none [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I woke up this morning to frozen pipes, turned on the hot water faucet at our downstairs bathroom. A small flow came out but them quit. I checked around the house, no notice of any water leakage. I then went up to check the hot water tanks, we have 2, seem to be full. The temperature is...

My hot and cold water pipes have frozen in my bathroom - what should I do? [ 4 Answers ]

My bathroom is over my garage, and it currently minus 11 here. The bath taps both hot and cold have frozen, as the pipes are in an outside wall. I can't get to these pipes to thaw them out. The shower, sink and toilet are fine and not frozen. The heat in the house has been kept on continually at...

Running hot water in bathroom pipes bang and water stops! [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water pipes in the bathroom start banging then stop the water flow every time they are turned on. It doesn't happen in the kitchen.

Why do I hear water running in my pipes, in a hot water heating system? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system and just recently , I am hearing water running in the pipes all the time.What could be causing this? Please help.

View more questions Search