Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meeka81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
    My cat is peeing on my couch
    My cat is about a year and a half old. She has started peeing on my couch, she uses her litterbox but she pees on my couch about once a week or so. I have heard that putting vinegar on the area will make them stop but it doesn't seem to be working. I am all out of answers and am hoping someone can give me a suggestion. She is neutered so I know she cannot be spraying. Please help.

Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 05:49 PM
    There is a scent on your couch in one spot I guess. Was or couch owned previously by someone else, or has there ever been a male cat near it.

There is a spray you can get from the pet shop that deterrs this activity.
    meeka81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Yes there are a few spots on my couch... no this couch is brand new... no other animals have been near the couch. What is the name of the spray you can buy?

Thanks for your help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
    The name of the spray is Feliway Spray and if you go to StinkyPets.com you will find some home recipes to deal with cat urine. And... Pets.Ca (a Canadian website) will give you tips of why, when and where cats will urinate. Hope all of this helps, in any event it will be a lot of reading for you !
    youn2035 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Your cat might also have a urinary tract infection if she hasn't always peed outside of the litterbox. You'll have to take her to the vet to know for sure, but cats will usually start peeing in obvious places and on their owners belongings to tell you something is wrong.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 6, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Youn is right. Your cat needs to have a urinalysis to rule out an infection. If all clear, could be behavioral and drugs need to be administered as well as the feliway spray-feliway also has a plug in for outlets as well. Check with your vet!
    FYI To catch a urine sample the less stressful way, see if your vet has No Sorb. Put in a clean litter box. After she voids, simply pour the urine into the provided container. The plastic "litter" will not absorb urine.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
    From past expeiences:
    - Is your cat litter clean? I know a cat can at any time in life decide enough is enough and will only go in a clean litter box, I suggest clean and bleach the litter box and scoop daily.
    - Disinfect the couch with a proper cleaner that will remove the pet odour
    - Go to the vet and test for the urinary tract infection
    - Has there been any drastic changes in your household, are spending the same amount of time with your cat, is there any stress put on the cat? Cat's will have hissyfits just like a toddler would. I have a cat that literally jumps in the air and runs downstairs when he doesn't get his way with me or the other cats.
    - I have this other cat who will urninate on my bed if I forget to bleach her litterbox.

Do you dicipline the cat when you find the pee? If you are aggressive that might make the problem worse, cats don't take to kindly to being disciplined.
    hopekuei Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 06:58 AM
    I had the same problem with my cat! 3 years old, male, orange tabby. The sweetest cat... He pees about once a week on my couch... I covered the entire couch with painter’s plastic cloth. So it is much easier to clean. I had 2 litter boxes in a small 1 br apt and also I buy the world's best litter for my cat. I had feliway on the wall and spray on my hand. Nothing works... I have also tried the citrus peel, vinegar, keep off spray. I don't think it is possible that my cat is stressed. He lives like a king/ spoiled. He is clam, playful and not showing any fear of people or the apt. I totally understand how you feel about the situation... I'm trying hard to find any possible answer to this... still hopeless... but I love my cat so much!
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Have you had a urinary tract infection ruled out by your vet?
    It's always better to rule out medical issues and then go from there to the behavioral.
    If it is a medical problem the situation will not improve without proper treatment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Couch bugs? [ 4 Answers ]

Last week I found about 20 bumps/ insect bites on my body after falling asleep on the couch for 4 hours. :mad: I thought it might be my bed because I didn't notice them until the following morning. Although when I slept on the couch again without a pillow (my face on the couch) I had 6 bites on my...

Earwigs in a couch? [ 5 Answers ]

We recently moved our couch over to make room for visitors and discovered several dead earwigs in the impression from one of the legs. We've moved the couch before and not seen anything, and we haven't seen any live earwigs, but now we're wondering what to do. Is there any way to save the couch and...

Bugs in the couch [ 6 Answers ]

:o Hello, Recently I have found an infestation of bugs that I can not identify. They are living in my couch. They are brown or dark brown kind of reddish brown for some. They look like giant mites or a cross between a flea, a tick and a those spiders with huge abdomans and all...

Comfortable couch [ 2 Answers ]

How do you choose a comfortable couch? I purchased a big soft comfy couch in the store. After 1 month everyone in my house has a backache. This couch is very soft and has deep seats. I am changing it but am not sure if there is a formula for a comfortable couch that will remain comfortable long...

Peeing cat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding on how to teach a cat that the litter box is the only place to take a leak, not the living room furniture?? My wife and I have 2 yr old cat who in the last 6 months has started peeing on our the couch and chair in our living room. We clean out the...

View more questions Search