Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddybass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 11:54 AM
    Air lock in cistern water line?
    I have a cistern supplying water to a mountain cabin. The cistern is full of water, but only a trickle comes out of the faucet in the cabin. It's a new installation and is far uphill from the cabin. Can an air lock cause this? How can it be fixed?

BTW, there is a pressure tank in the water line from when we pumped from a well. Could that be interfering somehow?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2005, 12:32 PM
    I don't like the phrase air lock. If a pump has water or other liquid freely flowing to it suction end, it will pump the water pushing any air out. If the pump has the smallest air leak between it and the water supply, the air will leak into the pump preventing it from pumping. Where the pump is located above the water level, the pump and the pipe down to the water usually needs to be full of water when the pump starts.

Usually an air leak means no water at all. A trickle is more likely to be a restriction in the line. If the old well had hard water and part of the piping is galvanized. That is where I would look first. Right at the faucet that delivers a trickle is another good place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Lock in Water Line to Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

I had to drain water from the house last night to fix a minor leak in a cold water line. Now, one of my toilets will not fill after it is flushed. It appears that there is an air lock in the line. How do I fix this?

Cold water air lock ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I recently got a new bathroom suite , shower and kitchen sink fitted downstairs. The bathroom suite and kitchen went in OK without any problems but since the shower went in yesterday , there is very little water coming from the bathroom basin tap. This water stops altogether should I...

Water hammer/Air Lock Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

Air lock in bathroom water faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I just drained my hot water heater in an attempt (only partially successful) to eliminate the noise as the water heated. I now have one bathroom with no water (except for a bare dribble) either hot or cold. All other faucets are fine and this was not the faucet that I had turned on upstairs to...

View more questions Search