Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Frigidaire washer agitates but won't spin
    Model # FWS445RFS2

My washer will wash but will not spin. The tub will not turn by hand at all. I have checked the switch and the belt and they seem fine.

Also, before this started I notice the clothes were more damp than usually in the bottom of the tub. I heard a loud clanking like metal hitting twice but found nothing in the tub. When I set it back to spin I could smell a burning smell.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 06:14 AM
    You have either a broken belt, loose pulley or the clutch is bad. But with the burning smeel I would believe the belt broke and that could be the noise you heard.
    fatherperson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrynn
    Model # FWS445RFS2

My washer will wash but will not spin. The tub will not turn by hand at all. I have checked the switch and the belt and they seem fine.

Also, before this started I notice the clothes were more damp than usally in the bottom of the tub. I heard a loud clanking like metal hitting twice but found nothing in the tub. When I set it back to spin I could smell a burning smell.
    I have the same problem on the same model number(except I didn't hear any metal sounds)... I did change the belt ($18) because it looked a little worn, but still the same result. The burning smell is the belt sliding against the motor. The motor tuns but not the unit under the tub (transmission? ), so the belt doesn't turn, hence the rubbing and burning smell on the motor pulley. I also noticed that everything is damp underneath the tub(not water leak wet, but with an oily feel). Hoping someone in the forum can help me also.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 12:32 PM
    fatherperson, if you have oil then you will be replacing the transimmision. Consider first, is the repair worth it or is it more fesible to replace the unit?

Sep 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    fatherperson, if you have oil then you will be replacing the transimmision. Consider first, is the repair worth it or is it more fesible to replace the unit?
    That's what I figured.. I checked online and found trans assemblies for $120-150(plus under $10 for shipping). Instead of buying a new washer for $250 and up(for good ones), I was thinking about replacing the trans. It seems to just fit inside the pulley at the bottom and the shaft runs up through the tub unit. The 2 factors I am looking at is how difficult to separate he shaft from the tub(looks like I just undo some bolt/screws and pull the tub up and off) and does the trans already come full of oil(saw where a quart cost $65 and up). What are your takes ?

PS I appreicate the quick response.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:41 PM
    I've always gotten my trans at supply house and they have oil in them. Don't know about online, but cannot image them not having oil in them. Never had to change one on fridgerdare, but just look how it goes. Can't be too much different than any others. We just don't see many frigerdare in my area.

Sep 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I've always gotten my trans at supply house and they have oil in them. Don't know about online, but cannot image them not having oil in them. Never had to change one on fridgerdare, but just look how it goes. Can't be to much different than any others. We just don't see many frigerdare in my area.
    Didn't think about checking locally( the 2 places in town to get parts from are always so expensive)... but will do that. Did figure it would come with oil, but you never know. If I can pull the tub off with no problems, I will probably go that route. Just hate spending so much for a new one when this one satisfied everything until now.
    I will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.

Sep 9, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I've always gotten my trans at supply house and they have oil in them. Don't know about online, but cannot image them not having oil in them. Never had to change one on fridgerdare, but just look how it goes. Can't be to much different than any others. We just don't see many frigerdare in my area.

Hey, I got the tub and trans unit out from the machine, I can't separate the tub off the trans shaft. Any Ideas? The top half of the agitator doesn't unscrew( not bolt or anything to indicate) and I afraid that if I try to pry it off, it might break(which I may have to do anyways). I'm sure that once I get the top half off the bottom half will slide off easy and the shaft can be pulled from the tub. Been scrounging the web(that's how I found you guys) and can't find any thing to show how to get it off. Arggh!

John

Also wanted to let you know no hard feeling about the a--whupping the Colts gave my Saints the other night. There's always next year... lol
    pschafer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2013, 05:52 PM
    I have Frigidaire Front Loader Washing Machine. It goes to through the cycles stops on spin and continues to spin until you shut off. I replaced the mechanical timer What can be the problem? The unit is about 7years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer agitates but will not spin! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool washing machine Model LSR8244EQ1 Heave Duty Super Capacity Plus Imperial 8 cycle / 2 speed The washer fills and agitates but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. I checked to make sure no clothes were wrapped around the agitator but the agitator moves freely. I...

GE Washer won't spin or drain, but does agitate [ 2 Answers ]

I think the name of my clothes washer is GE Profile, model number WPSQ3120T2WW. It and our dryer came with our townhouse when we bought it four years ago. I've washed pillows before without any trouble (normal size), but this morning I washed two pillows and two sheets and then heard a loud...

Kenmore washer won't spin [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 or 3 year old Kenmore washer suddenly stopped spinning! It goes through the entire cycle then suddenly stops at the spin cycle. It makes plenty of noise as if it is was the spin cycle but then when you go to unload the clothes, they are sopping wet. Yet they are not standing in water. The...

Frigidaire washer (ticking noise while aggitating) [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine is about 6 years old, came in my new house I had built. One day it developed a loud ticking sound while aggitating. I'll take the front off this weekend to have a look. Does anyone have any ideas before to share with me? Here's a tiny bit of advice for anyone buiding a new...

View more questions Search